Moving on

As for going long, I’ve just looked up the stats. Against Lincoln 71 long passes, against Bolton 72 long passes and against Tranmere 69. That shows not much difference whether we were being pressed or not.

How about stats for the number of times we gave the ball away?

My sense was that we did that significantly more against Bolton, when we were being pressed hard.

We are very inconsistent but most in L1 tend to be.
Our big issue in my view is that we give far too many goals away. If we tighten up and Taylor starts scoring we could be far higher up the table.
Last season we were very consistent but in stages. So for the first 11 games we conceded a lot and gained very few points. We then had a blip around Christmas. After that we were pretty good most of the time.

With regard to pressing teams Tony has a point.
Not many at L1 are able to keep a pressing game going for 90 minutes. We clearly prefer to be able to play football.
Maybe Agei can help us against such teams as he does have pace and strength?

Saturdays game was a freak.
A fantastic, special moment in time when we dictated and were allowed to dictate for the whole of the game.
We passed and worked them to death, most of our shots went in ( with a couple of worldies thrown in) and we limited the opposition to half chances that they didn’t take.
It was a game that I will never forget, being one of the lucky 600 odd of us crammed into the corner of their ground, I am sure that none of us will.

But just as good as it was, and it really was, we have to see that as it was - The best of us, as good as it gets. Although I would very much like us to play like that every week, I realise that we are not going to.
We have played some superb stuff this season - Blackpool, Peterborough, Sunderland and now Lincoln.
No question that, on our day, we can rip teams up, but as the season goes on, so do the challenges.
Can we keep this frightening form going?
Not forgetting that our points tally is not that spectacular.
Has uncle Karl finally turned the corner?
Or Was the Lincoln game just a freaky blip in an up and down season?

I reiterate, Gillingham at home is a pointer. I think that If we can win that one then we really are starting to move in the right direction regardless of the spangle sparkle of the West Ham game.

How about stats for the number of times we gave the ball away?

My sense was that we did that significantly more against Bolton, when we were being pressed hard.

Our passing accuracy was 75% against Lincoln, 75% against Bolton and 71% against Tranmere with the figures for accuracy in the opponents half being 62%, 63% and 63%. No noticeable difference there at all.

However, the big difference is in the oppositions' percentage tackle success rate. Lincoln 38%, Bolton 78% and Tranmere 68%.

I do agree that we have struggled against teams that press us effectively.

Okay, not a blip then?
We are going to tilt for promotion this season.
All the signs are there.
Someone whispered ‘Oxcelona!’
And that genie is now out of the bottle!!??

Back
Top Bottom