Ex Player John Mousinho

We have a group of very talented players and the recruitment has been excellent recently.
Mous's form and importance seems to have gone a little under the radar.
Obviously a very good captain but his form this season has proved the manager and a lot of our supporters wrong. He was clearly going to be back up CB but has deserved to be in the team on merit. Fair play to him.
Somebody recently suggested that Mous and Dickie both look better this season without Nelson. Maybe a coincidence (although Dickie clearly prefers playing on the right), but their form and that of Moore seems to be improving as the season progresses.

We have a group of very talented players and the recruitment has been excellent recently.
Mous's form and importance seems to have gone a little under the radar.
Obviously a very good captain but his form this season has proved the manager and a lot of our supporters wrong. He was clearly going to be back up CB but has deserved to be in the team on merit. Fair play to him.
Somebody recently suggested that Mous and Dickie both look better this season without Nelson. Maybe a coincidence (although Dickie clearly prefers playing on the right), but their form and that of Moore seems to be improving as the season progresses.
One interesting thing is looking back at goals concedes last season , quite a few squarely down to poorly times challenges /errors from Nelse. He was a fine player for us but not quite as great as we maybe were thinking ?

We play to the strengths of the players we have, not the ones we had. Dickie is playing on his preferred side and is taking more opportunity to bring the ball out. He also benefits from having Mous alongside him, who is a good player, but an excellent leader.
I'm always reminded of hearing Gary Pallister talk about playing alongside Steve Bruce. He said that Bruce had lost his legs so used to sit in and shout, "Pally, head that", "Pally, clear that", "Pally, kick him!" Mous holds the defence together, and we're more effective with him there. We've conceded 10 from the 11 games he's played, but let in 8 in the 3 games he missed.

And his influence isn't just on the pitch but throughout the club. He is clearly respected by the younger players and the likes of Mackie, and is also very close to Robinson and the coaching team. At every level, Mous is a big part of our recent success.

Yes, for me the turning point was after the Fleetwood game where we were awful and could have lost by a bigger margin. Mous coming back into the team and Fosu being match fit to start games after that are the two biggest factors for me since then. Mous, as does Henry looks leaner and fitter this season. Credit to the fitness coaches there.
And Fosu is an outlet for us and such a talent. Teams have to watch him like Hawks when we counter he is very dangerous. Matt Taylor has also added to our upturn. We just haven't had anyone like him for a long while. If he had played at Blackpool we would have won comfortably, thats the difference a poacher/finisher makes.

He made an interesting comment in the 5 mins fans forum about playing at CB/CM - the comment around I don't do much defending this year summed it up

I never really understood the criticism he received on this forum from some people. Yes, he was sometimes prone to making a couple of mistakes in some games, but show me a player who doesn’t. Nelson’s were often conveniently overlooked last season. What he shares with Nelse is a fine sense of positioning and reading of the game - and his captaincy is better. Personally I’m happy to have him in the team every week at the moment.

I never really understood the criticism he received on this forum from some people. Yes, he was sometimes prone to making a couple of mistakes in some games, but show me a player who doesn’t. Nelson’s were often conveniently overlooked last season. What he shares with Nelse is a fine sense of positioning and reading of the game - and his captaincy is better. Personally I’m happy to have him in the team every week at the moment.
To be fair he did make a few very costly errors last season which had me and a few others worried (I was also concerned about his lack of pace), but he has been fantastic and has proved us doubters wrong. Also being such a talented team attacking helps, we have way more attacking options than last season, it's an exiting team and Mous is a rock that it's built on :)

I agree. I actually thought Nelson was a tad overrated by some, but knew that whilst he was still here I would get panned for saying so!! He had some great performances but had some poor ones as well. There were times when his initial mistake led to others getting the blame. He was also found wanting when asked to play as the left sided CB. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player at L1 level.
Mous looks leaner and fitter this season which has helped with his sharpness, same goes for Henry. Well done the fitness coaches for that!!

The thing is, if Mousinho had been the one who left and Nelson had stayed and was playing well everyone would be wanting to come on here and say they never rated Mousinho, and sing Nelson's praises. Fans are very fickle and (naturally) want to put down players who've left, and big up what we have.

Fact is, Mousinho was dodgy as hell for us at times previously playing CB. That's just a fact. He was then moved into defensive central midfield and did much better, and was exactly what we needed there at the time. But, to his immense credit, he has returned to the back four and done really well, looked unrecognisable at times, so solid and comfortable on the ball. But that doesn't mean that we have to rewrite history! Lets not forget also that Nelson was brilliant at times for us, especially for example on the great run we had at the end of last season. He didn't go to the Championship for no reason.

The thing is, if Mousinho had been the one who left and Nelson had stayed and was playing well everyone would be wanting to come on here and say they never rated Mousinho, and sing Nelson's praises. Fans are very fickle and (naturally) want to put down players who've left, and big up what we have.

Fact is, Mousinho was dodgy as hell for us at times previously playing CB. That's just a fact. He was then moved into defensive central midfield and did much better, and was exactly what we needed there at the time. But, to his immense credit, he has returned to the back four and done really well, looked unrecognisable at times, so solid and comfortable on the ball. But that doesn't mean that we have to rewrite history! Lets not forget also that Nelson was brilliant at times for us, especially for example on the great run we had at the end of last season. He didn't go to the Championship for no reason.
No, just for no games instead!?

Mousinho is a good player and an excellent captain.

As I’ve said before the upturn in the team’s form last season and this season is all about the quality of the holding midfield player.

Last season we improved dramatically when Mousinho played in front of the back four and then improved further still with Kashi in there. The central defenders last season were getting a lot of criticism at the beginning of the season whether it was Nelson, Dickie or Mousinho playing there. I’m my view we didn’t suddenly improve because Mousinho was removed from the back 4, it was much more because he strengthened and knew how to play the defensive midfielder role.

This season it’s Gorrin making the difference.

Back
Top Bottom