General More news re; stadium/training ground, thoughts?

Suspect a retail offer will be tough ask.
My guess would be a stand-alone 15,000 seater aka Rotherham.
Site-Water Eaton- currently college owned.

15 k might be ok for a club like Rotherham. But if this club has ambition it needs to be bigger. There is no reason why in the correct location and in the championship we couldn't push towards 20k attendances. Especially with clubs like Leeds, forest etc bringing 3k+ away fans.

15 k might be ok for a club like Rotherham. But if this club has ambition it needs to be bigger. There is no reason why in the correct location and in the championship we couldn't push towards 20k attendances. Especially with clubs like Leeds, forest etc bringing 3k+ away fans.
It’s a very big if. We’re not bigger than Rotherham and they’re in much more of a footballing heartland

Water Eaton certainly has been under consideration. This is their preferred destination, with £20m to spend on building the stadium.

Water Eaton certainly has been under consideration. This is their preferred destination, with £20m to spend on building the stadium.
Also been told that Water Eaton is very much under consideration with a different site not too far away also being considered. Heard a move closer to Bicester was looked at too, but seems to be more a case of keeping options open

Also been told that Water Eaton is very much under consideration with a different site not too far away also being considered. Heard a move closer to Bicester was looked at too, but seems to be more a case of keeping options open

I think this is much nearer the mark. I know there has been talk of Bicester but I realy don't think it was every anything more than a general look at many sites across the county.

Who says the stadium couldn't be built with expansion in mind if we start packing out the initial 15k?

I think that will certainly be the case, but with a starting capacity nearer to 20k.

Although I have no idea, I'd guess something similar to Stadium MK but without the upper tier would be the type of design, with the option to expand up to 30k and maybe beyond if that was every feasible.

I think that will certainly be the case, but with a starting capacity nearer to 20k.

Although I have no idea, I'd guess something similar to Stadium MK but without the upper tier would be the type of design, with the option to expand up to 30k and maybe beyond if that was every feasible.

Couldn't see it being that high myself. Can see it being similar to the New York Stadium. Nice compact ground but smartly done. Maybe 16k max as a foundation.

Problem with Bicester is we loose our support from the council.

It’s a very big if. We’re not bigger than Rotherham and they’re in much more of a footballing heartland

Rotherham don't have the catchment area that we do. They are right next door to Sheffield. There is no reason why we couldn't pull the crowds like Reading have.

Tiger was interested in Bicester Village but not as a stadium site.

Bear in mind that Water Eaton falls into Oxfordshire, not Oxford. Could make a difference when it comes to planning permission. (unless there is some plan to enlarge the city boundary much like Greater Leys did when built.)

A stand alone stadium would not make sense, it has to be a development encompassing retail, office, hotel, conference and community engagement. The development would have to fit in with housing as that is a prime driving force to overcome any planning hindrance. The city needs houses and hotel beds, always has done.

I`m sure I read on another thread this will be "done & dusted" before the tenancy at GR runs out............................. dream on.

I`m sure I read on another thread this will be "done & dusted" before the tenancy at GR runs out............................. dream on.

A lot of the bureaucracy has been removed and projects can progress much quicker than they may have done in the past. However, the clock is ticking and it would be good to see real progress in the next 12 months to give us a chance of meeting that deadline.

When Tiger did the 5 min phone in last week. There was a question ie the Stadium, and Tiger said there are two sites basically there now looking at, one of which is North Oxford WE! He also said one of them was too far away for supporters, and needs to be closer. That was Bicester! One of the 4 original options. I don’t know the other that’s been ruled out. Whatever is in the pipeline, it will need to happen sooner, because the lease at the Kassam is almost up, and ideally you’d like to move straight in to a new home. Rather than play some games elsewhere while a stadium is being developed. Let’s just see what happens and be patient.

Back
Top Bottom