Montenegro v England

Foley

Not as good a performance as Friday but still 5 1.
Stirling looks World Class. Barkley, Hudson Odai. Rice, Henderson when he came on. Almost an embarrassment of riches ...

I did laugh at some non-England fans laughing when England went 1 down who went quiet when they were winning at half time.

Even funnier is the Chelsea fans getting to see what a good play Hudson-Odoi is for the first time.

Who could blame Hudson-Odoi for looking to move on from Chelsea?
The one thing that the kid needs now is game time. Wherever he decides to go, he must get to play more regularly if he is to realise his burgeoning talent.
England are an embarrassment of riches just at the moment with many young talented players waiting in the wings.
Exciting times!

The one thing that the kid needs now is game time. Wherever he decides to go, he must get to play more regularly if he is to realise his burgeoning talent.
England are an embarrassment of riches just at the moment with many young talented players waiting in the wings.
Exciting times!

I wonder if he has looked at what is happening to Reuben Loftus-Cheek and the limitations on his playing time after being a regular for England in a World Cup. I would like Loftus-Cheek to go somewhere else so he plays regularly.

More awful racism from the stands. You'd like to think the world was a better place by now, but you've only got to look at the ignorance of some on here to see that we're still miles away from where we should be.

Exciting times!
Hudson Odoi has played 6 times in the PL this season.
Maybe supporters are right in questioning some PL managers reluctance to play young English players.
A start for England before he starts a game for Chelsea.....

Oh and of course we saw him.play v Oxford.

Looking at how Jadon Sancho has developed in 18 months, I can see why Hudson-Odoi wants to go Bayern Munich. It's a career no brainer on a football and personal level. I'm glad young players are finally getting you need game time, not bench time.

As for the racism. It does put some context in to the issues we have, vs issues in other places. None are right or acceptable, but it sets a useful perspective on how far the UK has come and perhaps even how some organisations over egging the pudding with minor incidents in England is a little silly.

Looking at how Jadon Sancho has developed in 18 months, I can see why Hudson-Odoi wants to go Bayern Munich. It's a career no brainer on a football and personal level. I'm glad young players are finally getting you need game time, not bench time.

As for the racism. It does put some context in to the issues we have, vs issues in other places. None are right or acceptable, but it sets a useful perspective on how far the UK has come and perhaps even how some organisations over egging the pudding with minor incidents in England is a little silly.

I’m inclined to agree with that. The abuse thrown at the England players yesterday was racism – it was prejudicial jeering based on England’s black players having a different skin colour. We tend to get worked up by the race debates that are fairly minor in this country. For example, Amber Rudd’s support of Diane Abbott recently saw her use the word ‘coloured’. Do we really think Rudd is full of hate for black people? Not a chance. It was clumsy using that word but there was no intended hate behind it. more sinister forms of racism were on offer in Podgorica last night and often more hidden away.

As for England, they’re good fun to watch, aren’t they? Even when they went 1-0 down I thought that they’d have enough to get back into the game and I haven’t experienced that since the early Sven years. They create enough opportunities (especially through set pieces as we all saw at the World Cup), have a few clinical finishers and have strength in depth.

I admire Southgate’s approach because he actually has one. Gone are the days of the 11 best players England have on the pitch in favour of a balanced team and a focused squad. I like it a lot.

Exciting times!
a season long loan at a league one club near London with a manager known for developing younger players would be good ?
Just shows how crap it is in the premiersh#t though when clubs hoover up all the talent like that and don't give them chances. How many more like him are there rotting away in the academy teams pulling in ridiculous wages and not getting regular games. I hope he goes to a club that appreciates him if Chelski don't give him a go now.
Actually enjoyed watching these last two England games and fair play to Southgate for what he's doing

a season long loan at a league one club near London with a manager known for developing younger players would be good ?
Just shows how crap it is in the premiersh#t though when clubs hoover up all the talent like that and don't give them chances. How many more like him are there rotting away in the academy teams pulling in ridiculous wages and not getting regular games. I hope he goes to a club that appreciates him if Chelski don't give him a go now.
Actually enjoyed watching these last two England games and fair play to Southgate for what he's doing

FIFA and UEFA are looking at this as there is a growing awareness of top clubs warehousing players. Chelsea are often mentioned but plenty of other top clubs do it as well. Some suggestions have been to limit the number of loans out that a club can make (I think 8 was mentioned) and limit the loans to 2 to any one club. Personally I would like to see youth squad sizes limited across European football but I doubt this would stand up to legal scrutiny.

It has been enjoyable watching England.

Edit: Players themselves may force things to change if top players like Sancho, Hudson-Odoi etc keep pushing for moves away or get moves away due to a lack of 1st team football. This could force the PL clubs to actually start using their most promising players. It seems to be a growing trend that players aren't happy to be sat in an Academy/U23 team for years on end and want to be playing senior football.

Last edited:
Most exciting time for the England football team that I can remember.
Yes, we've had some good teams in the past (1990, 1996, 2002) but not this volume of exciting young players and a real team ethos.
World Cup semi-final, Nations League semi-final (or more) and now we're basically two thirds of the way to qualifying for the Euros already (assuming we can beat Kosovo twice) after two dominating performances. We should be going into next summer's tournament with confidence.

The racism was pretty gross, though. And it's going to continue until UEFA steps up and actually hands out genuine punishments for that kind of behavior. Montenegro will probably get away with a fine and a partial stadium closure, with the serious punishments not being doled out until their second offense. But with their remaining home games in the next two year cycle being entirely against other Eastern European teams, they're not going to get another opportunity to be racist morons until late 2020 at the earliest.

Most exciting time for the England football team that I can remember.
Yes, we've had some good teams in the past (1990, 1996, 2002) but not this volume of exciting young players and a real team ethos.
World Cup semi-final, Nations League semi-final (or more) and now we're basically two thirds of the way to qualifying for the Euros already (assuming we can beat Kosovo twice) after two dominating performances. We should be going into next summer's tournament with confidence.

The racism was pretty gross, though. And it's going to continue until UEFA steps up and actually hands out genuine punishments for that kind of behavior. Montenegro will probably get away with a fine and a partial stadium closure, with the serious punishments not being doled out until their second offense. But with their remaining home games in the next two year cycle being entirely against other Eastern European teams, they're not going to get another opportunity to be racist morons until late 2020 at the earliest.

UEFA's punishments have been laughable in respect of racism. Sky Sports have relished reporting that Russia got fined £22k for racism in 2018 ahead of the World Cup, the same amount as UEFA fined Besiktas for a cat getting onto the pitch whilst a game was on.

The U21s are crazy...Plus Rashford, Alli, Hudson-odoi, Sancho, Chilwell could all play...

View attachment 1259
What an interesting insight into names of this generation -
Firstly, the number of double-barrelled surnames marks an interesting trend - not that I can speak as we've done the same for both my boys (though it does raise the question of what will happen when two people with double-barrelled names marry??)
Secondly, the number of names (first and/or second) that clearly have an overseas origin, but (presuming there are not any/many Zola Budd Brits among them) that these guys are now second or third generation and born and bred in the UK
Thirdly, the list is almost completely devoid of 'traditional' English or British first names - beyond James, Phil, Tom, Freddie and the two Dominics, we are then into Ryan, Keiran, Aaron, Kyle, Jake, Harvey and Dean (most of which have only recently flourished in popularity) and then Angus, Lloyd and JonJo (all of which are probably more akin to the other home nations than England)

Back
Top Bottom