Italian Football Monkey chants "not racist"......

Two incidents of alleged racism today at Man City and FGR.......so problems here still albeit not from press headlines!

A 13 year old, I repeat, A 13 YEAR OLD, was ejected at the Spurs vs Burnley game this weekend due to racist abuse towards Son. This just shows the sort of society we now live in where even kids think it is ok to shout racist remarks at players. When I was 13 going to watch Oxford I was on edge if I even swore at a player/ref.
Burnley have said they will make the 13 year old do an educational programme but IMO I think their parents need to carry out the educational programme with them.

In just a few weeks it will be 2020 yet it feels like this country is going backwards not forwards.

A 13 year old, I repeat, A 13 YEAR OLD, was ejected at the Spurs vs Burnley game this weekend due to racist abuse towards Son. This just shows the sort of society we now live in where even kids think it is ok to shout racist remarks at players. When I was 13 going to watch Oxford I was on edge if I even swore at a player/ref.
Burnley have said they will make the 13 year old do an educational programme but IMO I think their parents need to carry out the educational programme with them.

In just a few weeks it will be 2020 yet it feels like this country is going backwards not forwards.
Not forgiving it in any way but 13 year olds by their very nature are impressionable and keen to 'impress' others even if that's in a totally misguided way. I'd be more disappointed if it was a 18+ year old.

Not forgiving it in any way but 13 year olds by their very nature are impressionable and keen to 'impress' others even if that's in a totally misguided way. I'd be more disappointed if it was a 18+ year old.
And I would think that the 13 year old learned this from their parents.
As kick it out are saying a lot of the time. It is about education ( the way to try and beat this awful behaviour)

And I would think that the 13 year old learned this from their parents.
As kick it out are saying a lot of the time. It is about education ( the way to try and beat this awful behaviour)
I suspect you're quite right about the real source of this behaviour hence my reference to impressionability. Also agree that education and public shaming are key.

I'm not so sure about public shaming. I'm in absolutely no way defending racism or homophobic behaviour, but trial by social media is not the right way to proceed. Identify the individuals, put them through the courts, hit them hard with lifetime bans etc. and then put their names in the press - as we would do with any other crime.

IF, and I know it appears unlikely, but there is the chance that the incident at the Manchester derby is dropped before getting to court. But that guy would have likely lost his job by then and will be seen as guilty by the nation. That makes me uncomfortable.

I'm not so sure about public shaming. I'm in absolutely no way defending racism or homophobic behaviour, but trial by social media is not the right way to proceed. Identify the individuals, put them through the courts, hit them hard with lifetime bans etc. and then put their names in the press - as we would do with any other crime.

IF, and I know it appears unlikely, but there is the chance that the incident at the Manchester derby is dropped before getting to court. But that guy would have likely lost his job by then and will be seen as guilty by the nation. That makes me uncomfortable.
That's exactly what I mean by public shaming. No harm in showing the perpetrator committing the alleged act as well if it's caught on camera as it should be pretty simple to see if someone is using racist language/making certain primate-like gestures.

Shows that they don't really get what the problem is and would this helps to explain their reaction to previous incidents.

Numerous Mediterranean countries are inherently racist. Portugal in particular is just as bad as Italy in how they view people of colour, and how they feel is acceptable to treat and speak about them.

Still... you kind of have to admire the extent to which Italy keeps getting it wrong at the moment. I mean, that is kind of brilliant, in a horrific way.

Numerous Mediterranean countries are inherently racist. Portugal in particular is just as bad as Italy in how they view people of colour, and how they feel is acceptable to treat and speak about them.

Still... you kind of have to admire the extent to which Italy keeps getting it wrong at the moment. I mean, that is kind of brilliant, in a horrific way.

And sexist. Having spent some time around Portuguese people, a lot are quite openly (what we would call) racist and sexist.

I'm really not sure if using pictures of monkeys to say no to racism is such a great idea from the Italians...

“I've always been painting monkeys for five to six years, so I thought I'd make this work to teach that we're all apes, I made the western monkey with blue and white eyes, the Asian monkey with almond-shaped eyes and the black monkey positioned in the centre, where everything comes from.” - the artist

So in other words, he's made changes to the appearances of the Asian and Western monkeys, but left the 'black' one exactly as is.

Staggering.

Meanwhile in our less than tolerant society, this:

Very sadly, some villages are missing their idiots again. I can't for one understand why they think it's ok nor the obvious why they think its funny or original. It's neither.

It seems the only solution is naming and shaming (which I don't agree with) or perhaps looking at more punitive actions such as closing sections of grounds or points deductions. Perhaps then the village idiots will think twice then

Back
Top Bottom