General MK at home followed by Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
As is often the case there is much more to stopping the spread of disease than meets the eye. Most of the work and the measures in place are not particular visible or dramatic (training of airline staff, tracking of incidences and testing who they've been in contact with etc.). Conversely you can take other measures that are highly visible but evidence shows are much less effective that people think (screening people at airports, closing schools etc.). These also tend to very expensive and drain resource from more effective but less headline worthy measures. I'm no fan of the Tories, but I applaud them here for following the science and not implementing whatever it is that the Daily Mail is complaining isn't being done.

Nope, we'd be there in the car park standing on cars, flatbeds, stepladders, boxes etc. Or at least I would!

Sounds pretty risky, if you go to the Fence End you could get away with standing on a single Transit van*.

* Possibly attach a sturdy board securely to the roof, I have no idea how strong Transits' rooves our.

Wearing one of these I assume:

Nope. I'll just not wash the week before and thus will have a natural three metre exclusion zone. Oh and a sign around my neck saying 'Unclean' and I'll be ringing a bell to warn people. Is that why that bloke from Portsmouth has one?

I doubt that there will be more cases of Coronavirus in the UK then we get attending the MK game. Relax peeps

It isn't just about deaths.

While the media is only quoting numbers of deaths due to the virus, are there any long-term effects for those that survive?
ME (also called Chronic Fatigue syndrome) seems to often be triggered by viral infection. It can last months (as "post viral fatigue) or years. It is not just tiredness, most patients have some of: lymph node pain; joint pain; muscle weakness; increased sensitivity to light and / or sound; dizziness etc.
There was an increase in diagnoses in the months after Swine flu and SARS. An increase is therefore to be expected in coming months, with impact of many years.

I get the point that viruses could spread from normal daily life, but to have several thousand people in a fairly confined space for a sporting event, is likely to present an increases risk that isn't necessary.

If, and it's a massive if, the virus leads to 100,000+ deaths in the uk as some are predicting, would the lose of a few games of football really matter?
That's more than enough B*****s. 100,000 + deaths?! Don't talk utter bullshit. Stop it, right now. All this panic mongering is just nonsense.
The facts just do not endorse this kind of talk.

Last edited:
That's more than enough B*****s. 100,00 + deaths?! Don't talk utter bullshit. Stop it, right now. All this panic mongering is just nonsense.
I thought that the governments 'most reasonable worst case scenario showed 80% of the population could get it with 500k deaths?
That will hopefully not be the case but based on the deaths in Iran and Italy, without pretty extreme measures 100k deaths seems not impossible?

That's more than enough B*****s. 100,00 + deaths?! Don't talk utter bullshit. Stop it, right now. All this panic mongering is just nonsense.

That is why I said, IF some of the estimates were to happen. No one knows yet how bad this could be, and it may well have very little impact and be no different from normal seasonal flu. However, if we begun to see numbers like in Italy where 133 died in one region on Sunday, it would not be impossible to see thousands of deaths at its peak. If this could be reduced by stopping large gatherings then football should take a backseat as a temporary measure.

At the moment the Government appear to be managing the threat as well as can be expected, and whilst there is no reason to panic I also think that reasonable measures should be taken seriously once/if the situation warrants it.

From what clips I have seen, MK look like a side that like to get forward.
Against Doncaster last Saturday, They created some very good chances for themselves that were squandered.
We will need to be wise to the counter attack as they look a decent side.

From what clips I have seen, MK look like a side that like to get forward.
Against Doncaster last Saturday, They created some very good chances for themselves that were squandered.
We will need to be wise to the counter attack as they look a decent side.

3 draws, 2 losses and 1 win in their last 6 games... and that win was against Bolton who haven’t won in their last 6

I'd be surprised if there was any refunds for season tickets as it isn't within the club's control. There wasn't a refund for the Bury game for instance.

We get a refund for the missed Bury game when renewing our season ticket for 2020/21. So I would image any other cancelled games would have to be refunded as well.

That's more than enough B*****s. 100,000 + deaths?! Don't talk utter bullshit. Stop it, right now. All this panic mongering is just nonsense.
At the moment the death rate in Italy is running at just over 5% which is a very large percentage. Globally it's around 3.4%. For example, the seasonal Flu death rate is 0.1. Their healthcare system is close to collapse mainly due to cuts!! Doctors are already making difficult decisions on who gets priority for treatment.
In a few weeks time we could be in the same situation. This disease is as easily passed on as a common cold.
I don't often agree with scotchers on many things OUFC but he's right to be very cautious about Covid19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom