International News Immigration

You are giving a slightly confused message. Not sure if your main point is that labour is not required to pick crops, or just foreign labour. I suspect it's the 'foreign' label that's causing you to froth.

Anyway, Lincolnshire (where I live) produces 25% of the UK's arable food products. There are plenty of crops that are reliant on manual picking (e.g. leeks) and other crops that require manual lifting before machines can gather them in (e.g. cauliflowers). in the South Holland area vast fields of tulips and other flowers require manual picking. So substantial numbers of labourers are certainly needed.

In the ideal UK-centric world you seem to want to live in, they needn't be foreign labourers, but many large land owners around here (who ironically voted for Brexit to a large extent) are making it clear that they require EU labour next year to allow their businesses to operate. That's because locals looking for work (let alone those from other parts of the country) don't want to do uncomfortable, back-breaking work for minimum wage.

You have a solution: punish those lazy types by withdrawing their benefits. I'd wager that even under the most draconian measures that you propose there still wouldn't be nearly enough labour, and forced labour is not really something 'us Brits' would support when under a free market economy there are still alternative workers available.

And that bit is driven by us, the consumer, who wants cheap food not realistically priced food.
And much of that food gets wasted while children allegedly starve......

Nothing wrong with forced labour - get the justice system to provide labour. Chain gangs. :) :)

Winner all the way.

I think you probably prefer the Albanians doing it because it’s cheaper! So you can sit in Costa Coffee looking all smug with your Latte. While they do it.

My point is that there are machines that are quite capable of cleaning a car rather than east Europeans. It’s not your fault though! It’s the supermarket chains for allowing them to run a business on there site at a small cost of course.

Actually, they are not really that cheap, they just do a far better job than a machine.
And they aren't on a supermarket site... not that where they are is in any way relevant.
What's the drivel about Costa coffee?

What about all these farmers harvesting their own crops...more drivel.

You don’t need foreign labour to do this job. The whole argument about no one else will do it, is a load of rubbish. There are lots of people out of work that are English that can fill necessary positions. If needed!

I think most farmers trying to get workers will disagree with you.

I think most farmers trying to get workers will disagree with you.

Of course the farmers will disagree, because they give them free accommodation in some shack adjacent to the farm, and pay them a bum wage shall we say.

The Costa coffee part came about because most supermarkets have them inside, along with the cash washers in car parks.

Of course the farmers will disagree, because they give them free accommodation in some shack adjacent to the farm, and pay them a bum wage shall we say.

The Costa coffee part came about because most supermarkets have them inside, along with the cash washers in car parks.

It's great that you can get money laundered at supermarkets now.

The part where Pete says. Farmers and agricultural businesses won’t be able to operate is a red herring. They only say this because they will no longer have cheap Labour.

Employing a British worker to do this kind of work would demand the going rate (wage). I guarantee most farmers that employ foreign workers pay them less. It’s probably cash in hand too so it’s not traceable! They probably get bog standard digs too, as I said to the previous poster LongJohnSilver.

The Holland part and Tulips part is however correct, but of course we don’t need to worry about that. That’s Netherlands that deal with that, and Dutch farming! That’s up to them if they are happy to employ east Europeans to pick flowers all day long. The issue for them later on down the line is that these East European people will wake up, and realise there is better money elsewhere. So what do they do after to attract workers... Do it themselves maybe, pay better wages?

The part where Pete says. Farmers and agricultural businesses won’t be able to operate is a red herring. They only say this because they will no longer have cheap Labour.

Employing a British worker to do this kind of work would demand the going rate (wage).
That is naively simplistic. The locals either just don't want to do it, or don't stay the course, according to this...

to all the thick people..........if and when labour is needed ,THEN we will allow entry.....clear enough for you peeps???? good.....NEXT!

The Holland part and Tulips part is however correct, but of course we don’t need to worry about that. That’s Netherlands that deal with that, and Dutch farming! That’s up to them if they are happy to employ east Europeans to pick flowers all day long. The issue for them later on down the line is that these East European people will wake up, and realise there is better money elsewhere. So what do they do after to attract workers... Do it themselves maybe, pay better wages?
South Holland District
United Kingdom

Thanks for explaining to our friend @chuckbert. I'd rather hoped that since my tulip-growing example was from Lincolnshire it might have been clear that 'South Holland' referred to the tulip-growing area of Lincolnshire, not some part of the Netherlands under the control of Dutch farmers.

Ah, but does that part of Lincolnshire use cheap Dutch labour?

Thanks for explaining to our friend @chuckbert. I'd rather hoped that since my tulip-growing example was from Lincolnshire it might have been clear that 'South Holland' referred to the tulip-growing area of Lincolnshire, not some part of the Netherlands under the control of Dutch farmers.

That was cruel of you. Good show!

While I'm here, how will the border work with South Holland once we achieve Brexit? Will they not be able to flood their farms with 'light-fingered Albanians'?

That was cruel of you. Good show!

While I'm here, how will the border work with South Holland once we achieve Brexit? Will they not be able to flood their farms with 'light-fingered Albanians'?
Good point PC. Since it was mainly Dutch engineers who reclaimed what are now the fens of eastern England in the 1600s, I believe they have the right to re-flood the area once the UK has left the brotherhood of Europe, but probably with water rather than thieving Albanians.

The Dutch are still jealous of Brotherhood of Man snatching Eurovision from under their hooked noses in The Hague back in 1976. Petty race, not like us.

Good point PC. Since it was mainly Dutch engineers who reclaimed what are now the fens of eastern England in the 1600s, I believe they have the right to re-flood the area once the UK has left the brotherhood of Europe, but probably with water rather than thieving Albanians.

And as soon as it's flooded with water you open the door to thieving immigrants in boats.

No foresight.

Back
Top Bottom