International News Immigration

I don’t want to stop immigration completely. If in controlled numbers, and only for skilled workers, and people that are qualified Nurses etc then fine they meet the criteria. We don’t need people coming here flooding the lower laboured work.

I’ve seen agencies actually advertising for workers in Bulgaria, and Romania, Hungary, and most of them don’t speak a bloody word of English. They come here and work save the money or send it home, so the money doesn’t stay within, and they build there palaces, so they can go back after a couple of years living like kings and queens.

These are not the people we need here. It’s not good for our economy despite paying taxes while here. The vast majority of them are notoriously light fingered, and commit crime to get by. Cloning credit cards, Petty thieving for example. I’m not tarnishing them all with the same brush, but the whole imagination process needs to be micro managed.

Given the people that you vote for are the very people who get rich off of this are you really naive enough to think it's going to stop?

The nationalities may change, the concept will not.

I don’t want to stop immigration completely. If in controlled numbers, and only for skilled workers, and people that are qualified Nurses etc then fine they meet the criteria. We don’t need people coming here flooding the lower laboured work.

I’ve seen agencies actually advertising for workers in Bulgaria, and Romania, Hungary, and most of them don’t speak a bloody word of English. They come here and work save the money or send it home, so the money doesn’t stay within, and they build there palaces, so they can go back after a couple of years living like kings and queens.

These are not the people we need here. It’s not good for our economy despite paying taxes while here. The vast majority of them are notoriously light fingered, and commit crime to get by. Cloning credit cards, Petty thieving for example. I’m not tarnishing them all with the same brush, but the whole imagination process needs to be micro managed.
Leys,

It's the same around the world.

Here in Malaysia, we have domestic helpers, builders, road construction, construction industry and other sectors from Indonesia, Bangladesh, Pakistan and other countries. Most work here as the people don't want the jobs or the pay is too low.

It's a similar story in Singapore.

Filipinos ply their trade around the world sending money back home. My father worked in SE Asia for 25 years, building up his savings so he could retire comfortably in the UK.

It's the way the world works

But....we.....need.......... unskilled......workers....... some truths really are wasted on people.
Agreed and that’s why the proposed 30k lower ceiling for foreign applicants is/was crazy and ill thought.
I wonder though if, by default, the fallout from Covid will, for obvious reasons, reverse that shortfall.

This thread has turned into a parody of itself! I get that we're all entitled to an opinion, but some of those are pretty poorly thought through;

Not tarring all migrants with the same brush, but;

The vast majority of them are notoriously light fingered, and commit crime to get by. Cloning credit cards, Petty thieving for example. I’m not tarnishing them all with the same brush.

Who will pick crops when foreign labour has gone home?

Farmers? Or perhaps by us, when we take our kids to places that advertise Pick your own....

• Haha
Reactions: m
Are there any numbers on how many people have died attempting to cross the channel by boat, or are we to believe that it is just these four (presumably five) and the poor boy who washed up on the beach a few months ago?

These people know the dangers and what can happen, when trying to come here! So whilst it’s extremely sad that people lose there lives trying, its there choice, and begs the question why of all countries around Europe they want to come here! They pay x amount of money to come here, so these people have funds and aren’t poor. The whole thing is a massive problem, and it’s fishermen in this country trying to make money promising to bring them here, because the fish they used to catch have been hoovered up by EU trawlers.

Are there any numbers on how many people have died attempting to cross the channel by boat, or are we to believe that it is just these four (presumably five) and the poor boy who washed up on the beach a few months ago?

Unlikely to ever know as they are undocumented and the traffickers aren`t going to care.

and it’s fishermen in this country trying to make money promising to bring them here, because the fish they used to catch have been hoovered up by EU trawlers.

I heard that COVID was invented by the EU so they could hoover up even more fish while we're in lockdown,

Who the f**k is going to clean my car for me, harvest my spuds for my Sunday roast, or serve me my food when I dine out?

Pretty sure not enough of our home grown snowflakes will do it.

Who the f**k is going to clean my car for me, harvest my spuds for my Sunday roast, or serve me my food when I dine out?

Pretty sure not enough of our home grown snowflakes will do it.

Im pretty sure most petrol stations have there own car washes. Not all are run by people from Eastern Europe.

Farmers to the 2nd part.

Im pretty sure most petrol stations have there own car washes. Not all are run by people from Eastern Europe.

Farmers to the 2nd part.
I find the Albanians do a far superior job than a mechanical car wash... born out by the queue they always have.

Farmers...right.

I find the Albanians do a far superior job than a mechanical car wash... born out by the queue they always have.

Farmers...right.

I think you probably prefer the Albanians doing it because it’s cheaper! So you can sit in Costa Coffee looking all smug with your Latte. While they do it.

My point is that there are machines that are quite capable of cleaning a car rather than east Europeans. It’s not your fault though! It’s the supermarket chains for allowing them to run a business on there site at a small cost of course.

So you think farmers (i.e. those owning or managing farms) do all the picking themselves? I think you'll find they need labourers to do the actual work.

Most Agricultural work ie Potatoes and Sugar Beet fields are harvested by machine. I think Holmer is a big manufacturing company for these machines. I could be wrong! Or they use tractors with a conveyer belt system, that fill trailers. They are then hosed down and cleaned, and processed to wherever they need distributing ie retail company’s, and supermarket chains.

You don’t need foreign labour to do this job. The whole argument about no one else will do it, is a load of rubbish. There are lots of people out of work that are English that can fill necessary positions. If needed!

I get that there are people out there that don’t want a job. They need to be pushed in to work, by pushed I mean cut the benefit they receive dramatically. ie job seekers allowance! The money you save on benefits, then goes towards increasing minimum wage. Then people will get off there backsides and fill these positions, so we don’t need to see Farmer Sid employing a Hungarian to wash a spud with a hose, or pack items if necessary.

Most Agricultural work ie Potatoes and Sugar Beet fields are harvested by machine. I think Holmer is a big manufacturing company for these machines. I could be wrong! Or they use tractors with a conveyer belt system, that fill trailers. They are then hosed down and cleaned, and processed to wherever they need distributing ie retail company’s, and supermarket chains.

You don’t need foreign labour to do this job. The whole argument about no one else will do it, is a load of rubbish. There are lots of people out of work that are English that can fill necessary positions. If needed!

I get that there are people out there that don’t want a job. They need to be pushed in to work, by pushed I mean cut the benefit they receive dramatically. ie job seekers allowance! The money you save on benefits, then goes towards increasing minimum wage. Then people will get off there backsides and fill these positions, so we don’t need to see Farmer Sid employing a Hungarian to wash a spud with a hose, or pack items if necessary.
You are giving a slightly confused message. Not sure if your main point is that labour is not required to pick crops, or just foreign labour. I suspect it's the 'foreign' label that's causing you to froth.

Anyway, Lincolnshire (where I live) produces 25% of the UK's arable food products. There are plenty of crops that are reliant on manual picking (e.g. leeks) and other crops that require manual lifting before machines can gather them in (e.g. cauliflowers). in the South Holland area vast fields of tulips and other flowers require manual picking. So substantial numbers of labourers are certainly needed.

In the ideal UK-centric world you seem to want to live in, they needn't be foreign labourers, but many large land owners around here (who ironically voted for Brexit to a large extent) are making it clear that they require EU labour next year to allow their businesses to operate. That's because locals looking for work (let alone those from other parts of the country) don't want to do uncomfortable, back-breaking work for minimum wage.

You have a solution: punish those lazy types by withdrawing their benefits. I'd wager that even under the most draconian measures that you propose there still wouldn't be nearly enough labour, and forced labour is not really something 'us Brits' would support when under a free market economy there are still alternative workers available.

Just wave the flag, let everyone know that we won 2 world wars and one World Cup, have a stiff upper lip and “carry on” then cor blimey gov’nr we we’ll be on to a winner... that’s the Dunkirk spirit!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom