Michael Appleton to West Bromwich?

Wouldn’t have thought so. They’ve just been down the ex-player route. They’ll be looking for someone with a better CV than Mapp.

• Haha
Reactions: Ian
Gary Rowett maybe..? But will probably go to Mark Hughes or a similar name who’s constantly getting on and off of the managerial roundabout..

Seeing as they have just sacked a manager while in fourth place you would imagine that the new guy won't be a gamble, i.e. they'll look at someone with a history of promotion whichever which way it's achieved. MAPP may have the history, but has actually achieved pretty much nothing in his managerial career apart from getting us up, and his record at championship level is a car wreck.

Will be the ex Fulham guy I think it's Jokanovic

Will be the ex Fulham guy I think it's Jokanovic
I can see the logic in a way. They’re apparently looking for someone with a promotion from the championship on their cv. Two names being mentioned are Jokanovic and Wagner. Still really harsh on Moore though, I bet he wishes he was lucky enough to have a boss like Robinson’s!

What it does suggest though is Appleton’s chances of landing a plum job - and I bet he’s always had an eye on the WBA situation - are slipping further away with each month. I still don’t really get why he gambled on an assistant manager job. I don’t buy this argument that the premier league is the place to be no matter what the job title.

Nah...Mapp is gonna be a tv pundit. Did a stint yesterday on sky sport. Pays better, with less hassle.

Nah...Mapp is gonna be a tv pundit. Did a stint yesterday on sky sport. Pays better, with less hassle.

Still a handsome payoff each month in his bank account from Leicester as well, which would stop if he went back into management in England.

Still a handsome payoff each month in his bank account from Leicester as well, which would stop if he went back into management in England.

Risky business running that down without taking a job though. If a club like WB really wanted him they would compensate him for 'lost earnings' anyway i.e. give him a 'golden hello'.

I can see the logic in a way. They’re apparently looking for someone with a promotion from the championship on their cv. Two names being mentioned are Jokanovic and Wagner. Still really harsh on Moore though, I bet he wishes he was lucky enough to have a boss like Robinson’s!

Kind of. But the Championship is a really tough division at the moment, and your best shot at getting back into the PL is in the first two years post-relegation when you've big parachute payments to give you a leg up on the rest of the league.

By the third year, those payments are cut down by more than half, and by the fourth year they're gone - so if you haven't gone back up by then, you're either going to have to slash your wage bill or start getting into financial strife.

So doesn't surprise me that West Brom are getting desperate. And there's still a chance to get up through the playoffs this year if they can capture that new manager bounce. Their form really has stagnated the past few weeks...….

Also, it's a bit of an indictment of the football league pyramid today that a bright, young manager who had success at the League One/League Two level in his previous managerial job, can't even get into consideration for a Championship position.

It's one thing the likes of Man City and Chelsea not considering taking a risk on a young English manager.....it's quite another when the likes of West Brom won't do it either!

Kind of. But the Championship is a really tough division at the moment, and your best shot at getting back into the PL is in the first two years post-relegation when you've big parachute payments to give you a leg up on the rest of the league.

By the third year, those payments are cut down by more than half, and by the fourth year they're gone - so if you haven't gone back up by then, you're either going to have to slash your wage bill or start getting into financial strife.

So doesn't surprise me that West Brom are getting desperate. And there's still a chance to get up through the playoffs this year if they can capture that new manager bounce. Their form really has stagnated the past few weeks...….

What is the chance of promotion if you’re receiving premier league parachute payments but playing in league 1? Asking for a friend...

Back
Top Bottom