Meetings

"Match adverts tend to promote “tickets from £20”. OUSP suggested this could deter casual family attendance, with a family of four expecting to pay upwards of £80, whereas in fact 2 adults and 2 children could attend for half that amount depending on the ages of children and location of seat. For this season the £20 figure has been used as part of “20’s plenty” ticket pricing."

Lights a cigar, pours a glass of port, and looks smug. ;) 🤷‍♀️

It's a bargaining chip.

"Karl, the fans want the lads to wear yellow away from home when possible."

"OK fine, we'll start doing that but I get to sign 4 more wingers in return."

“You can have three wingers and a striker who has played three games in the last decade.”

“OK, but I want to wear the third kit on Boxing Day, just to kiss off the crazies.”

“Deal.”

ecdf6a7bd01f7e4616773c48ea44b412.jpg

Latest minutes

Latest minutes

Well done. Agree with dropping Sweet Caroline, just do it. Once the England team started playing it you knew it had gone stale.
Also the idea of a range of street food vans would be nice. If anyone follows the "footy scran" social media on facebook/twitter, there are a lot of options out there other than chips, cardboard burgers and cheap sausages.
I think it was Lincoln away when we went around the ground to get to the away entrance, and there were several different vans, selling for instance Wursts, curries and rice, noodles etc.
Presumably they would have to pay a fee to Kassam to use the car park?

.... and thus starts the perinnial circular debate, yet again
to have a 'club' song/ anthem ... or not?

yellow submarine , with ('our') adapted lyrics (!), works as a terrace chant/ song... even anthem, but unfiltered/ changed in its original format ( with Ringo on lead !), would it work as 'victory' song? (IMO) probably not

Perkle is uplifting and an in your face rabble rouser, but, bar the chorus, are the lyrics memorable?... Great to hear in the run in to kick off, but (IMO) , probably not a 'victory. song

Is it a 'Victory' song ...played after a home win, or a Club 'song' that's required?

For the latter ( Very) memorable lyrics and chorus are the key to ensure participation and inclusion by all age groups of (OUFC) support

its probably best to pick a song that's exclusive (unlike sweet -f*****g -caroline)

Heres some well known (adopted)club songs- none of which have adapted/ changed lyrics, all are very inclusive...

West Ham - Im Forever Blowing Bubbles
Liverpool- Youll Never walk Alone
Birmingham City- Keep Right on To The End Of The Road
Man City- Blue Moon
Bristol Rovers- Goodnight Irene

for an OUFC song dust off and revive a few London Road faves from 40+ years ago

Such as :-
Those Were The Days
or
When You're Smiling

as for a 'victory' song .... bit to choreographed for me, like all the cliched s**t played a playoff finals etc, which drown out totally the organically created celebrations of the fans of the victorious side.
We are not Americans, therefore we don't need cheerleading at English football matches ( IMO).... nor do we need victory songs ( all a bit too Pugwash if you know what I mean)

Last edited:
Would be good to have an Oxford band/artist.

My favourite Oxford group (and one of my favourites from anywhere) is Supergrass. Not sure if any songs would really be right though...

Although I have always thought the tune for 'Moving' would make a great chant with changed lyrics, as it has a slow bit and a fast bit (technical terms)

Would be good to have an Oxford band/artist.

My favourite Oxford group (and one of my favourites from anywhere) is Supergrass. Not sure if any songs would really be right though...

Although I have always thought the tune for 'Moving' would make a great chant with changed lyrics, as it has a slow bit and a fast bit (technical terms)
why 'changed lyrics'? - genuine question?

edit * Ride - OX4 ( in all its glory- albeit lyrics are not instant/ memorable , so no joining in front the stands! ) has been used in recent times when the team(s) come out/ in the run up to kick off

I mean if it's for a chant. Just because surely an Oxford United chant would have lyrics about the team/players etc, rather than the existing lyrics of the song which are obviously great but nothing to do with OUFC

I would much prefer for Sweet Caroline to be dropped (because it's crap and hackneyed) and for there to be no music. Just let the crowd cheer, clap and sing.

edit * Ride - OX4 ( in all its glory- albeit lyrics are not instant/ memorable , so no joining in front the stands! ) has been used in recent times when the team(s) come out/ in the run up to kick off
I meant change lyrics if used as a chant.

I wouldn't be apposed to us walking out to an upbeat Supergrass tune though! (not 'Alright' though, something more punky)

I mean if it's for a chant. Just because surely an Oxford United chant would have lyrics about the team/players etc, rather than the existing lyrics of the song which are obviously great but nothing to do with OUFC
cheers for clarifiying

for the majority to 'join in' would lyrics about players ( who over time come and go) be inclusive for most?

I meant change lyrics if used as a chant.

I wouldn't be apposed to us walking out to an upbeat Supergrass tune though! (not 'Alright' though, something more punky)
sun hits the sky would maybe fit the bill?

or Candyskins- Wembley ( for cup games- maybe)

Tom Hingley is an Oxford(shire ) lad - Theres maybe a few Insipal Carpets gems that do too

Those Were The Days ( old LRT fave late 60s- mid 70s) was a singles chart hit for Mary Hopkins ( number 2) and prior to that version, Sandi Shaw ( number 6) ... the latter, ( & Eurovision winner) is a resident in Oxford(shire) , Marcham

Back
Top Bottom