National News May resigning!

If the Tory parliamentary party despises Boris so much then he won’t get enough votes from the MPs to make the final two.

If he does make the final two then the grass root Tories are likely to vote him as leader.

Out of this sorry bunch I’d probably choose Goves, not that I particularly like him but he would tear Corbyn to pieces at PM questions.

Sadly to say, out of the bunch on offer Gove is one of, if not the best, of an awful bunch. I'm not sure he will tear Corbyn to pieces though.

With Corbyn on 1 side and whomever gets picked by the Tories this country is screwed up. Sadly all the talent on both sides has been sidelined to the backbenches.

Oh to have somebody on a par, talentwise, like John Smith or John Major.

She is a moron who went to Europe without any mandate and came back with a cake when everyone wanted a pasty! She painted herself into a corner with no where to go and didn't even involve her cabinet in forging policy for the negotiations. She is the second worst ever, after Cameron. II think the next leader will need to be a leaver eg Raab and make a bold statement about coming out on WTO terms as soon as in office - Boris will be the clown at the circus but when push comes to shove his record in office is appalling - we have citizens in prison in Iran because of his gaffs. All the selections comes from the same litter that were part of the F-U!!! If there is a GE I think it will be the end of the Tories and Labour but it could be the Tories don't want to run the country right now and call one anyway. They are hemorrhaging support. They can also give labour a go and then apportion blame if post Brexit goes South. Impossible to vote for either of the big two with remain/leave in both camps and none of them representing their voters. Until the members of a political party share common values nothing can ever get voted through. It is irrelevant what the leader of a party says his party line is, if his MPs vote against it. It is time to line them all up ..... a cull those who don't follow the party line. That is why Change was formed - like a womens refuge! Cant't stand Farage - just so smug and looks like a crook - but if the EU poles had high attendance, and were predominantly for the Brexit party (Greens will come a close second) then the media myth of us now being a country who want to remain will be dispelled and we surely have to move forward and get out. Not sure what would happen if we revoked article 50 now, and then immediately announced our intent to leave and submitted a new article 50 saying we go under WTO rules in say 2 years. Gives US time to form relationships and the EU to better plan. The EU will then need to decide if they want tariffs or free trade with us. They won't clearly renegotiate on Mays deal (A50v1) but an A50v20 might even require a new deal to be struck - (my idea of deal being we have free trade but keep tariff free with EU - take it or leave it). The EU cannot possibly decide to tariff us when we depart. The negative effects on the German economy in particular would be huge. We haven't done enough work behind the scenes to leave now, on say WTO terms. The planning and alternative trade agreements are too little too late and another reason for May to go.

I heard this morning that May claimed credit for Grenfell. She wanted to fight the burning injustices that still scar our society. Understandably the unions are critical.
The late Nicky Winton told her compromise was not a dirty word. However, his daughter, Barbara, said May did nothing to help refugee children.
Nicky Winton was someone I admired greatly. Theresa May falls a long long way behind such a man of great humanitarian qualities.
I can’t see anyone emerging as a good successor to May.
What is more, Corbyn will be open to a challenge before too long and no credible alternative looks likely.
As for Cable, he has capitalised on being the party that wants to stay in the EU, picking up votes as a result, and then claiming that as his legacy.
What a shower we have to choose from right now.

I heard this morning that May claimed credit for Grenfell. She wanted to fight the burning injustices that still scar our society. Understandably the unions are critical.
The late Nicky Winton told her compromise was not a dirty word. However, his daughter, Barbara, said May did nothing to help refugee children.
Nicky Winton was someone I admired greatly. Theresa May falls a long long way behind such a man of great humanitarian qualities.
I can’t see anyone emerging as a good successor to May.
What is more, Corbyn will be open to a challenge before too long and no credible alternative looks likely.
As for Cable, he has capitalised on being the party that wants to stay in the EU, picking up votes as a result, and then claiming that as his legacy.
What a shower we have to choose from right now.

He's stepping down as lib dem leader on July23 @Peterdev .... it was announced yesterday

It's a bit harsh to blame the camps of MPs in the Tory and Labour parties who hold wildly differing views. Each is trying to appease a different 50% of the population, and neither party was conceived on a principle of European membership either way.

It's not too far fetched to be feeling we're close to starting from scratch. Have the 1922 committee form their right-wing party of Rees-Moggs and BoJos, Momentum on the other side with Corbyn and McDonnell spouting the left-wing rhetoric. And then the few existing parties offering a middle ground option (Labour, Conservative, and Lib Dem, all having shed their more extremist members).

It's so frustrating not being allowed to balance a variety of opinions on different matters. You're either in one toxic tribal camp, or another.

Last edited:
I did see that. Rumours of the Oxford Liberal making a challenge for it.
Mind you if all the Liberal MPs made a bid that would still be maybe less than the total who challenge for the PMs job.
Made me laugh when Corbyn demanded an election. As if a party without a leader in place would call an election.
He’s had his chances Corbyn to discredit the government and failed to capitalise on it. I can’t think of many credible challengers. Blair was a breath of fresh air for many, but here and now who could come in. Starmer, Cooper, Thornberry...aggghhh

Mind you if all the Liberal MPs made a bid that would still be maybe less than the total who challenge for the PMs job.
Made me laugh when Corbyn demanded an election. As if a party without a leader in place would call an election.
He’s had his chances Corbyn to discredit the government and failed to capitalise on it. I can’t think of many credible challengers. Blair was a breath of fresh air for many, but here and now who could come in. Starmer, Cooper, Thornberry...aggghhh

Layla Moran has already stated that she wont be standing for leader of lib dems

The only reason they might pick up more seats is they are posturing as the anti brexit vote.
Layla Moran I heard from a friend local to the area has a strong following.
I’m not too sure who they would go as next leader as it’s not as though they have a lot of choice.
Looks like the three parties will all have new leaders before too long.
Still can’t believe Corbyn asking for an election when the Conservatives are currently rudderless.
I’m expecting there to be a Labour coup now as he’s hardly setting the world alight at the moment with his anti Jewish rhetoric and cloudy vision of his party’s vision on the EU

Can I suggest that those (like me!) who want to know more about the WTO read this document:

As citizens/voters, I think it is on us to educate ourselves on exactly what people in power mean when they toss phrases about - it's all too easy to *think* you know what things mean!

(Not aimed at you FalmouthOx, just think it might be useful)
I dont necessarily think it has to be an existing WTO agreement. Lets just say bespoke - we arent norway or switzerland :) the issue is do we have politicians who can create as stable an environment if we leave now? Im a leaver but I just dont trust these guys in politics to be able to take advantage of the opportunity - makes sense to give a date 2 years ahead and let everyone plan for it rather wallow in the shadow of how it used to be under the EU. I suggest we then hold the cards, and have position. Obviously it is important to officially say we have left, with an effective future date, rather than allow the media spin doctors another 2 years to then change our minds.

Dan Jarvis would make a very good leader of the Labour party. Good background and middle of the road in terms of policy.

How Dare Corbyn demand a General Election! Conservatives should be able to change the Prime Minister without the public having a vote on the matter. It's not as if we want any of those dangerous democratic ideas. The rot started with the Reform Act in 1832. As for giving the vote to the working classes and women....

Leadsom has now thrown her hat into the ring. The list of incompetents grows.

Further to May's failures and Grenfell:

Safe cladding is still not being enforced for existing buildings but will for new buildings over 59ft. HPL cladding, that failed the tests introduced after Grenfell, will be allowed to remain on existing buildings and be used on new buildings under 59ft. It really isn't difficult to make changes to the law on this as I don't think party politics would play a part and I can't see any justification for the law not to be changed.

Last edited:
How Dare Corbyn demand a General Election! Conservatives should be able to change the Prime Minister without the public having a vote on the matter. It's not as if we want any of those dangerous democratic ideas. The rot started with the Reform Act in 1832. As for giving the vote to the working classes and women....
You mean like Callaghan taking over from Wilson and Brown from Blair?

Back
Top Bottom