General Maxwell's in trouble again.

Whilst hindsight maybe a wonderful thing, the Maxwell days are ingrained in the memory of all those who experienced them!
I doubt any of us would swap them for anything else........ from the pits of crisis to the top division & a wembley final in next to no time, what a time it was to be alive! ?

To be honest, its nothing to do with the pension scandal. It's trying to merge the club with Reading.... that was forgotten to some extent between 83 - 86, but then he went to Derby and took Hebberd and Saunders with him, tried to buy Watford too and just let the club drift between 87 - 91 when we could have been on to something big.....
It was a bloody roller coaster though! Always makes me laugh when someone says we have someone dodgy buying us... after 10 years of the Maxwell family owning the club everything else seemed amateur hour!!
I meant the comments with the article, not comments from OUFC fans! Lots of people did lose their pensions in the UK over all that.
But yes agree with what you put, but at the same time we would never have got any of them glory years in 1980s if it was not for Mr Maxwell . And them few years was such magical times of which will never be seen again.

Yeah, he did.. I think that was during 83-84.... I nearly put that in, says it all with Maxwell that there is more in there than you could ever want to add..... Didn't he also threaten to close the club down if the City, or was it county council didn't give him a grant of £200k towards to the improvements to the Manor (fences all down both side, seats in Beach Road paddock to Cuckoo Lane end of tunnel, removing the LRT moat and replacing the anti coin grill with a proper fence and the three new Osler Road Stands).... then there was the time he came in to London Road when it was all kicking off against Pompey etc..)
You have a great memory , yes l had forgot all that. As you say not one to hide away from anything (shame it ended like it did) the Pompey thing imagine a chairman jumping in like that now!

He said he had agreed to buy Manure at £300 million but when it came to close the deal the price had risen by 100 million (not sure exact figure} and he pulled out of the deal.

He said he had agreed to buy Manure at £300 million but when it came to close the deal the price had risen by 100 million (not sure exact figure} and he pulled out of the deal.
Was it that much? I thought it was about a tenth of that? I didn't think even Michael Knighton (remember him?) was going to pay that much in the late 80s

Was it that much? I thought it was about a tenth of that? I didn't think even Michael Knighton (remember him?) was going to pay that much in the late 80s
Knighton offered something like £20m until it became apparent that he didn't have the money!

The Maxwell offer for Man U was £10m according to this:
......."he approached Manchester United chairman Martin Edwards and was delighted to see his offer in the region of £10m initially accepted."

......."he approached Manchester United chairman Martin Edwards and was delighted to see his offer in the region of £10m initially accepted."

Just had a nosey at Wiki & one of the latter people approached by MK, before his deal collapsed, was Owen Oyston...............the very same... what a party that would have been!!

One of my proudest possessions is a letter from Captain Bob's solicitor threatening us at Raging Bull.
He also had a photographer taking mugshots of us selling the fanzine.
(Sinks into nostalgic reverie...).

I recall that Manure won at Luton 5-0 the weekend before the deal was due to go through and they told Maxwell that this added £5m to the sale price so he walked away.

Kind of interesting why she suddenly moved to the US after spending time in France where extradition there is hard.

If she wants to sell her OUFC shares, happy to buy them!

And she paid cash for the New Hampshire pile...............
As you do when you have no income... Oooh look, found 20 million down the back of the sofa, let's buy a house in New Hampshire.

I can't help but wonder if she will meet the same fate as Epstein if she doesn't plead the 5th when interviewed by the FBI

Imagine the hoo-haa if she decides to big up trump's involvement....

Imagine the hoo-haa if she decides to big up trump's involvement....
I think another political family may be releasing the hounds on Maxwell to stop more stuff coming out. Slick Willy's wife is a bit of a bunny boiler, or so I hear

Back
Top Bottom