Match Fitness

RATC

Looking at our recent results and when the goals are being scored, does anybody else think that this is down to the fitness of the squad as whole or ability of the squad?

Off the top of my head we have lost to or dropped points against these teams in the final 20 minutes of a game.
Bury (H) Lost 2-1 (1-0 up)
Bristol Rovers (H) Lost 2-1(1-0 up)
Gillingham (A) Drew 1-1 (1-0 up)
Bradford (H) Drew 2-2 (2-1 94th min)
Shrewsbury (H) Drew 1-1 (1-0 85th Min)
Scunthorpe (A) Lost 1-0 (0-0 until 81st)
Fleetwood (A) Lost 2-0 (2 goals in 3 minutes)

I know that in football you generally concede late goals but to drop 14 points so far this season in the last 20 minutes leads me to ask the question sre these players fit enough to play 90 minutes. It seems pretty much everygame we're leading/gaining points even if it's by a goal the players go back and defend the lead they have by getting everyone behind the ball from the 65th minute...

Is this because the rumoured light training the players done for 5 months means they struggle to see out a game or is the overall quality of this squad simply not good enough? And the players hate being in pressures situations.

How unfit would that make Charlton, Blackpool & Doncaster?

It's not about fitness, to be honest we have a lightweight squad and some players who cannot perform at this level.

What happened with the all singing all dancing sports science programme? Wasn't that supposed to help maintain maximum fitness? Introduced and marketed by IL I believe

Granted some of the current squad do seem to not be up to l1,or higher standard, of quality and ability,however being both not up to standard combined with also being,at best, half fit is potentially disasterous.

Although inexperienced some of our own younger prospects with the confidence and self belief of youth as an addition asset, as in they'd tear up trees, run through walls and take on similar tasks as well as give all they have for the opportunity to play in the first team. Yet journeyman picking up an easy last pay cheque are given the nod in preference to our young guns constantly and continually.

Remember those fa cup games (gateshead & Wrexham away I think) under old chippy, when due to injuries suspensions etc, very young teams were put out, and our young jedis did us proud.

Fitness the way I see it is both a physical and mental requirement. Young professional footballers are Young,so therefore physically fit, with the arrogance and fearlessness of youth to call on they are mentally fit too. Yet coach and manager after coach and manager occasionally give a young prospect a cameo ten min or so before farming them out to non league football and inveriably thats that. Roberts was prolific when given a few starts by MApp, though a catalogue of happenings since then (including the secret footballer pecking his head) sees Roberts on loan and the first team squad strike force currently with all the potency of a powder puff , 3 sick notes viying for the loan striker role. Doesnt make sense to me. Also young Owen James is banging goals in at youth level yet doesnt even make the bench, even though he is much fitter than the triage trio in the first team squad

There have been some hints from Faz and some of the coaching staff that Pep may not have worked the players hard enough in training. Before the Charlton game Faz said that those that hasn't travelled were in on the Saturday training. This coupled with the fact that we have had a few players who even when selected have not been fully fit (e.g.Thomas & Obika) tends to suggest that fitness has been an issue this season.

Looking at our recent results and when the goals are being scored, does anybody else think that this is down to the fitness of the squad as whole or ability of the squad?

Off the top of my head we have lost to or dropped points against these teams in the final 20 minutes of a game.
Bury (H) Lost 2-1 (1-0 up)
Bristol Rovers (H) Lost 2-1(1-0 up)
Gillingham (A) Drew 1-1 (1-0 up)
Bradford (H) Drew 2-2 (2-1 94th min)
Shrewsbury (H) Drew 1-1 (1-0 85th Min)
Scunthorpe (A) Lost 1-0 (0-0 until 81st)
Fleetwood (A) Lost 2-0 (2 goals in 3 minutes)

I know that in football you generally concede late goals but to drop 14 points so far this season in the last 20 minutes leads me to ask the question sre these players fit enough to play 90 minutes. It seems pretty much everygame we're leading/gaining points even if it's by a goal the players go back and defend the lead they have by getting everyone behind the ball from the 65th minute...

Is this because the rumoured light training the players done for 5 months means they struggle to see out a game or is the overall quality of this squad simply not good enough? And the players hate being in pressures situations.

How many have we scored in the last 20mins?

There was a couple at the valley 10 days ago

John Aldridge always stayed fit. No "sports science" in those days. Pain killing injection and get out there. Ask Ken Fish, God bless him.

John Aldridge always stayed fit. No "sports science" in those days. Pain killing injection and get out there. Ask Ken Fish, God bless him.
Ken Fish had a magic sponge ...worked every time too , reckon he soaked it in liquid amphetamine :unsure:

If using goals as a measure, surely the fact we score considerably more in the second half, specifically 76mins onwards doesn’t fit the narrative of fitness problems? That said, when conceding the first and last 30mins from us is pap.

Would be interesting to see how often a team score once, how quickly they score more. We seem wobbly after conceding, often conceding several in a short space.

The above highlights just how slowly we start matches, often giving ourselves and uphill battle in the first 30mins

We certainly seem wobbly after scoring, lost count number of times we've conceded within 5 minutes of scoring.
Actually we are just wobbly the whole time at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom