Match Day Welcome Volunteers

SiHath

http://www.yellowarmy.co.uk/match-day-welcome-volunteers/

Most Oxford United fans look forward to games as a break from ‘normal’ life, a chance to catch up with friends and enjoy a Saturday afternoon and forget about more ‘important’ things like work, money and family.
Imagine that you’d had to flee your home to the safety of another country because of civil war, and you’d lost contact with your friends and family. Doing something like going to a football match would take on a much more important status. A chance to forget about the horrors that you’d been experienced for 90 minutes and just enjoy a game of football, something we often take for granted.
An Abingdon based refugee charity and The Red Cross are arranging for some Syrian refugees (families and children) to attend Oxford United games on Good Friday 30th March (v Scunthorpe) and Saturday April 28th (v Rochdale). We’re working with OUFC in the Community to welcome them on the match days and are appealing for Oxford United fans to get involved.
If you can spare an hour or so before the game to have a cuppa and a biscuit, and have a chat about football, about Oxford United, the players and what it’s like to support Oxford United, and to make them feel welcome in what may be a slightly overwhelming day, then get in touch with Kate Longworth from OUFC in the Community at klongworth@oufc.co.uk.

Most Oxford United fans look forward to games as a break from ‘normal’ life, a chance to catch up with friends and enjoy a Saturday afternoon and forget about more ‘important’ things like work, money and family.
Imagine that you’d had to flee your home to the safety of another country because of civil war, and you’d lost contact with your friends and family. Doing something like going to a football match would take on a much more important status. A chance to forget about the horrors that you’d been experienced for 90 minutes and just enjoy a game of football, something we often take for granted.
An Abingdon based refugee charity and The Red Cross are arranging for some Syrian refugees (families and children) to attend Oxford United games on Good Friday 30th March (v Scunthorpe) and Saturday April 28th (v Rochdale). We’re working with OUFC in the Community to welcome them on the match days and are appealing for Oxford United fans to get involved.
If you can spare an hour or so before the game to have a cuppa and a biscuit, and have a chat about football, about Oxford United, the players and what it’s like to support Oxford United, and to make them feel welcome in what may be a slightly overwhelming day, then get in touch with Kate Longworth from OUFC in the Community at klongworth@oufc.co.uk.

Hasnt the chairman called a Fans Forum very early that (30th march) morning???? ..... does the right hand know what the left hand is doing?????.... as its the Oxvox AGM on 28th April too!!!!

Hasnt the chairman called a Fans Forum very early that (30th march) morning???? ..... does the right hand know what the left hand is doing?????.... as its the Oxvox AGM on 28th April too!!!!

I'd say it was perfect planning. People can come along to the fans forum on the 30th, have their say, then meet and greet this group.

Same for the 28th April. After the AGM has finished, meet and greet.

Unless your post was ironic and I've been whooshed!

I'd say it was perfect planning. People can come along to the fans forum on the 30th, have their say, then meet and greet this group.

Same for the 28th April. After the AGM has finished, meet and greet.

Unless your post was ironic and I've been whooshed!
;)

@SiHath answered the call I believe? Mentioned something on the subject on the Giveaways for Kids? thread

Indeed I did Sarge.

There were a couple of other fans who came forward, but were unable to make it on Good Friday. The group of families are coming to the Rochdale game as well, so I'll repeat the appeal here for anyone who can spare just a few minutes before the Rochdale game.

When you watch the news this week and see what is happening in Douma with chemical weapons being used against the civilian population, 1,700 dead, and the war of words between Russia and the USA making it hugely unstable, it makes me immensely proud of what the club and the community trust are doing. Having just a few more fans get in tocuh with Kate Longworth to say they'll spare a few minutes would show that the Oxfordshire community is equally prepared to show their support.

How did this turn out in the end?

There was a group of about 4 or 5 families, mums, dads and children of various ages. Said hello and welcomed them to Oxford United, handed out some programmes, scarves and flags, which they were very happy with and with some broken English (them not me) said thank you very much and seemed genuinely grateful (if that's the right word) that they were being welcomed to the club.

Football is a common language and they seemed to be looking forward to the game. I think it's hard to comprehend quite what they've been through. We (myself included) will often react to events in our own lives (or in the life of all things OUFC) as if it's the worst thing in the world, but compared to what these people have gone through, some of what we complain about is pretty trivial really.

Seeing the kids at the Good Friday game looking excited and happy, and then seeing the news over the last couple of days with images of other kids, who looked just like the kids I'd handed out scarves to, being treated for the effects of chemical weapons attacks was pretty sobering I can tell you.

Back
Top Bottom