Ex Player Marvin Johnson

Darren Moore was also at the game. Rosie was in with the away fans. Marvin was also in with us away fans last night.

It’s a definite upgrade in what we currently have, and he likes to bomb forward. So it would help us with a high press, and suffocate the opposition. I wouldn’t be against him returning, but only as a loan signing. As I don’t believe we should be signing players permanently who are over 30.

Danny Mills in the Away end too.

Could probably still do a job at RB, looked in good enough nick

I never rated Johnson as a LB when he was here. Rewatch the middlesbrough highlights (3-2, Maguire & Martinez) and 2 goals are conceded because Johnson wasn’t a natural left back. that’s only 1 game and probably one of his first in that position but i’d hope he’s improved defensively since.

With that said however, i reckon id have him back to play there.
I think what we saw last night was that Manning will pick a team that's right to play an opponent. If Johnson was in our ranks yesterday, I think the only way he would've played is on the wing or left of a back 5, not the role that Brown played.

Imagining he joins, I'd suggest he will only play left back in a 4 in a match we expect to dominate the ball vs a low block which might end up being most of them as we grow in to the season but especially home games. In away games or more difficult fixtures I'd expect Brown to play with Johnson higher up on the left either as a winger (first line of defence) or LWB should we shift to a back 5. He gives us a lot of flexibility. Something we're starved of, currently.

Johnson is the best left back we've had in the Kassam era. I'd have him back here in a heartbeat. Players aren't fans, the fans need to get over that bit. They wont love Oxford United for ever more, it's a job and their livelihood - nothing more. I'd almost guarantee you that Mark Harris, for example, has an eye on a return to a higher level, whether that's with Oxford or elsewhere. Yes, Johnsons attitude waned a bit when he knew he was off but I don't think he was so disruptive that the opportunity of bringing him back is something that we shouldn't seriously consider.

Attitude waned a bit 🤣

Understatement of the year. He completely downed tools.

Saying that, I wouldn’t be adverse to see him sign on a season long loan, especially given his age. . A player who’s at his best when attacking from deep.

I also remember he scored a cracking goal at Luton in the JPT semi final but had a really poor game in the final against Coventry.

Danny Mills was also at the Cambridge game. Stanley said in an interview somewhere his Dad will be at a lot of the games this season

Danny Mills was also at the Cambridge game. Stanley said in an interview somewhere his Dad will be at a lot of the games this season
He was doing Young Stan’s shopping with (for) him the day after Cambridge. Tesco, to be exact. Scan as you shop - no messing.