Ex Player Marvin Johnson

It still amazes me that we sold him for a reported £2,500,000.

Think about that next time you're feeling a bit down.

Looking back through this old thread , myself and others were less than impressed with Johnson’s effort and attitude in his last few games in an Oxford shirt, and rightly so it was awful.

But, and there’s always a but, would you want him back?
Has enough water has passed under the bridge to forgive, if not forget?

He won't have thoughts of making a move to a Championship side (and the subsequent pay rise he got as a result) so yes. Would be a different type of left back/wing back so would make sense.

Johnson is the best left back we've had in the Kassam era. I'd have him back here in a heartbeat. Players aren't fans, the fans need to get over that bit. They wont love Oxford United for ever more, it's a job and their livelihood - nothing more. I'd almost guarantee you that Mark Harris, for example, has an eye on a return to a higher level, whether that's with Oxford or elsewhere. Yes, Johnsons attitude waned a bit when he knew he was off but I don't think he was so disruptive that the opportunity of bringing him back is something that we shouldn't seriously consider.

Marvin Johnson has been completely frozen out under new Sheffield Wednesday boss Xisco Munoz.

If he is available for loan we then should be alive to that.

MJ still has a wand of a left foot and is still quick. Got loads of assists last season.

I don't like the way that he left but he has developed into a very good left wing back, who won promotion out of L1 last season.
Isn't he under contract at Sheffield Wednesday though?

Johnson is the best left back we've had in the Kassam era. I'd have him back here in a heartbeat. Players aren't fans, the fans need to get over that bit. They wont love Oxford United for ever more, it's a job and their livelihood - nothing more. I'd almost guarantee you that Mark Harris, for example, has an eye on a return to a higher level, whether that's with Oxford or elsewhere. Yes, Johnsons attitude waned a bit when he knew he was off but I don't think he was so disruptive that the opportunity of bringing him back is something that we shouldn't seriously consider.
Didn’t he just play as a winger for us?

Didn’t he just play as a winger for us?
We played him left back a fair bit, I believe largly so we could point at him as say "look, he can play left back as well, he's worth more!" I didn't much like him there then but he's had several years playing a more defensive role since so I'd imagine he's improved. You're right though in that he was predominantly a winger here.

We'd be mad not to take him if he fancies it for a season. Exactly what we need. Would give us a multitude of options with the back line but also as a winger seeing as it's proving difficult to create space for a new out-and-out left winger (note Burey situation). Smart use of the budget perhaps.

He would be a brilliant signing for us and has developed a lot as a player since leaving us, defensively very good now along with his attacking output.