Ex Player Mark Sykes

I'm not sure how meaningful this idea of 'championship players' is. I haven't done any research but I suspect that several of the teams that go up and survive, such as Luton, keep quite a few of their league 1 squad. Indeed Bournemouth and Sheff Utd kept quite a few of their league 1 squad in the premiership. Maybe the point is more that we don't necessarily have players good enough to storm league 1 - if we did they'd be good enough for the next level.

We have players capable of playing in the championship. The reason why we haven't stormed league 1 is we don't have 22 of them in our squad. I have no doubt that of the contracted players (not loanees) Stevens, Ruffles, Atkinson, Moore, Long, Brannagan, Henry, Taylor, Agyei could all play at a higher level when there in form. Sykes and Gorrin fall in the same category as the likes of Eastwood, Winnal, where they could make it to the next level if their performance was consistent.

Except of course we would get diddly squit because come January they would be free to agree a pre contract? if the thinking was sale value we would offer a 2nd year would we not?

I assume they are on revised terms also with Bonus should we get promoted this or next season

The surprise for me is just the 1 year, Gorrin for me is 1st name on the sheet and i would not foresee a problem with him in the Championship
Their contracts have been extended on the exact same terms. This isn't a new contract; we had a club option to extend their current contract by a year.

We could well be looking to offer new contracts to add a second or third year onto it. By activating the option we've secured them for another year whatever league we're in, and if any club wants to come after them in the summer they'll have to stump up a few because they're contracted.

The club has protected itself by guaranteeing that two good players either command a fee, or stick around for at least another year. I'm assuming there was a deadline on the triggering of the extension, so it now gives us another year to negotiate a new contract whilst they continue to do the business on the pitch.

Their contracts have been extended on the exact same terms. This isn't a new contract; we had a club option to extend their current contract by a year.

We could well be looking to offer new contracts to add a second or third year onto it. By activating the option we've secured them for another year whatever league we're in, and if any club wants to come after them in the summer they'll have to stump up a few because they're contracted.

The club has protected itself by guaranteeing that two good players either command a fee, or stick around for at least another year. I'm assuming there was a deadline on the triggering of the extension, so it now gives us another year to negotiate a new contract whilst they continue to do the business on the pitch.
As a matter of interest, how do you know their contracts have been extended on the exact same terms? Could not the option to extend for a year include incremental payments in one form or another?

In both of these cases they will be out of contract at the end of next season. Presumably the club, player (or both) didn't want to extend the contracts for more than a year.

In both of these cases they will be out of contract at the end of next season. Presumably the club, player (or both) didn't want to extend the contracts for more than a year.
... or perhaps their agents advised not to extend for more than a year ? :unsure:

As a matter of interest, how do you know their contracts have been extended on the exact same terms? Could not the option to extend for a year include incremental payments in one form or another?
In theory I guess they could, but to my knowledge in general contracts that include a years option they're an extension on the same terms. I have zero knowledge on their contracts, just a bit of an assumption based on what I believe is the norm (I could be wrong).

My point was more that people are questioning why we haven't given them a longer contract, when it's a different situation. There weren't negotiations it was simply us activating a clause. I'd hope/expect there'll be proper contract discussions over the course of this season where we offer longer contracts (assuming they earn them).

We have players capable of playing in the championship. The reason why we haven't stormed league 1 is we don't have 22 of them in our squad. I have no doubt that of the contracted players (not loanees) Stevens, Ruffles, Atkinson, Moore, Long, Brannagan, Henry, Taylor, Agyei could all play at a higher level when there in form. Sykes and Gorrin fall in the same category as the likes of Eastwood, Winnal, where they could make it to the next level if their performance was consistent.
Would you not say Gorrin is consistent then?

Some fans mention pts dropped at the start of the season but as i've mentioned before we could not name a settled side and for me Gorrin was a major miss.

Can be more proud of his performance last night than others, even in the last few minutes when the game was clearly just fading out he was trying to stop them from keeping it in the corner and applying himself professionally.

If we have all 4 of Gorrin, Sykes, Brannagan and McGuane next season (touch wood). I personally think we can rotate the midfield with Gorrin coming in against the better sides where we need to be more organised defensively (aka last night) and Cam Bran dropping into that role against the teams that will sit behind the ball, as we saw him do very well vs Shrews, Burton and Gills. Trying to be positive after that last night, of course!

I'm a great advocate for Sykes and I agree, he gave everything last night and can certainly hold his head high.....I'd just like to see a goal return and some better final balls into the box. If he can make that final step-up, we've got ourselves a player.

Sykes was our deserved man of the match last night, he covered an incredible amount of ground and never gave anything up. Just needs to add goals to his game and he'll be some player for us.
He had a terrific game but his final ball, finishing lets him down.
He was our MoM by a distance but had he taken the chance he had then it could have been a different game.

As with others, thought he was our best player on the night by some way. However, both of his biggest weaknesses (IMO) cost us two goals: silly foul for their 1st, lack of end product for his one on one. I really like the lad, but needs a big season next year.

Back
Top Bottom