Ex Player Mark Sykes

Mark Sykes' turnaround in fortunes this season has been remarkable. I think we all thought we'd seen the last of him after the Swindon debacle. But he's come in and been an essential part of our end-of-season good form, and has put in a number of MOTM performances. Looks great in a midfield three with Henry and CB, too. He's still a bit naive (silly fouls in silly situations) and lacks a bit of end product, but his tenacity and ability on the ball are up there with the best in the squad.

When he’s really on form, and in midfield, he seems to have the ability to drift into pockets of space, sort of like what Kelly tries to do when he plays further forwards, but can’t do nearly as well. If he keeps playing like he is then he’s a nailed on starter for one of the midfield spots, he likes to press as well and has good energy. Just can’t finish (at the moment)

Surely we need to be working on new longer contracts for both of them, or they can talk to others at Christmas
The fact that we haven't speaks volumes. They are clearly seen as ok players for League 1 but if the takeover goes through I believe we will be aiming higher. At the moment, we have triggered a one year extension in both of their contracts which aren't high earning ones so we have some stability in the squad. If we gain promotion, I can see them both being loaned out to L1 or L2 clubs next year (Sykes certainly, Gorrin might be needed given we'd be defending a lot!), if we stay in L1, we have them as an option but again if we can do better they can be loaned out.

The fact that we haven't speaks volumes. They are clearly seen as ok players for League 1 but if the takeover goes through I believe we will be aiming higher. At the moment, we have triggered a one year extension in both of their contracts which aren't high earning ones so we have some stability in the squad. If we gain promotion, I can see them both being loaned out to L1 or L2 clubs next year (Sykes certainly, Gorrin might be needed given we'd be defending a lot!), if we stay in L1, we have them as an option but again if we can do better they can be loaned out.
That doesn't make a great deal of sense though does it?

if we got up this season they're are not considered good enough? if we (that other thing) they're not good enough for a promotion ambitious club?

why would you re-sign players that you don't consider good enough just to loan them out?

I'm particularly glad Sykes has been offered the extension - as pointed out above, since the Swindon debacle he's taken his punishment and his opportunity. I don't think he's the finished article by any means, but he's looking stronger, fitter, tracking back and contributing more. Now, if he could just start putting some chances away....

If the takeover happens we will still need Sykes and Gorrin! We won't start signing half of the Premier league.

if we got up this season they're are not considered good enough? if we (that other thing) they're not good enough for a promotion ambitious club?

why would you re-sign players that you don't consider good enough just to loan them out?
1) There are a number of players that we would need to improve on if we did get promoted if we want to survive so just because they were part of a (not automatic) promotion winning squad and even then not that regular a player in Sykes' case - that doesn't mean they are good enough for the Championship.
2) If we remain in League One, then there may be more money coming in or there may not - see other threads on takeover possibilities. If it happens with the consortium's ££s, we may well be aiming higher and there could be a loan arrangement for them, if it doesn't happen there could be a squad or starting place for Sykes depending on what the squad looks like with Tiger's lesser ££s
3) Retaining them for a year on current deals is a cheap option - so minimal financial risk
4) I suspect (but don't know for sure) that an imminent date was looming by when we had to trigger the clause or lose that right - why else do it now rather than in close season if we had that option
5) By triggering the year extension, we retain resale value if one of them is sought by another club over the summer or in January

If the takeover happens we will still need Sykes and Gorrin! We won't start signing half of the Premier league.
No but we might start signing better players than we have at present - if what you say is true, why haven't we sought to offer them longer deals as the earlier poster suggested?

No but we might start signing better players than we have at present - if what you say is true, why haven't we sought to offer them longer deals as the earlier poster suggested?
Dunno, I'm not ITK. Sykes I can see as being still slightly under review, but Gorrin has proved his worth.

1) There are a number of players that we would need to improve on if we did get promoted if we want to survive so just because they were part of a (not automatic) promotion winning squad and even then not that regular a player in Sykes' case - that doesn't mean they are good enough for the Championship.
2) If we remain in League One, then there may be more money coming in or there may not - see other threads on takeover possibilities. If it happens with the consortium's ££s, we may well be aiming higher and there could be a loan arrangement for them, if it doesn't happen there could be a squad or starting place for Sykes depending on what the squad looks like with Tiger's lesser ££s
3) Retaining them for a year on current deals is a cheap option - so minimal financial risk
4) I suspect (but don't know for sure) that an imminent date was looming by when we had to trigger the clause or lose that right - why else do it now rather than in close season if we had that option
5) By triggering the year extension, we retain resale value if one of them is sought by another club over the summer or in January
Except of course we would get diddly squit because come January they would be free to agree a pre contract? if the thinking was sale value we would offer a 2nd year would we not?

I assume they are on revised terms also with Bonus should we get promoted this or next season

The surprise for me is just the 1 year, Gorrin for me is 1st name on the sheet and i would not foresee a problem with him in the Championship

Probably we had to decide on wether we triggered the extra year option by the end of April. We won't know what league we're going to be in next season by then so it was worth a gamble. Both are decent squad players for league 1, if we do end up going up we could loan them out to another club and recruit championship capable players. Its a win win situation for me.

Probably we had to decide on wether we triggered the extra year option by the end of April. We won't know what league we're going to be in next season by then so it was worth a gamble. Both are decent squad players for league 1, if we do end up going up we could loan them out to another club and recruit championship capable players. Its a win win situation for me.
I'm not sure how meaningful this idea of 'championship players' is. I haven't done any research but I suspect that several of the teams that go up and survive, such as Luton, keep quite a few of their league 1 squad. Indeed Bournemouth and Sheff Utd kept quite a few of their league 1 squad in the premiership. Maybe the point is more that we don't necessarily have players good enough to storm league 1 - if we did they'd be good enough for the next level.

Back
Top Bottom