Ex Player Mark Sykes

We should remember, too, that he has a pushy agent (see Republic of Ireland switch) and that the amount of traction this one seems to have on social media / local press might not correlate with the amount of genuine interest in signing him. Why we’re hearing might well be the full story but it could just be an active agent doing his best to put his player in the shop window.

Sykes is pretty similar to Rothwell in my opinion. He has moments of brilliance in games - more often little turns and shimmies in the middle third than goal impacts in the final third - and can take out a defender with his quick feet but rarely grabs a game by the scruff of the neck. Like Rothwell, he is a good player with the potential to be even better but I wouldn’t be devastated to lose him. And, like Rothwell, he might find a club more willing to give him a run of games in his favoured position at which he makes a decent impact.
Very good comparison,
Rothwell and Mowatt for some reason were likewise not trusted with regular starts here in division 1.
But both would be considered a big loss to there current championships sides.

Very good comparison,
Rothwell and Mowatt for some reason were likewise not trusted with regular starts here in division 1.
But both would be considered a big loss to there current championships sides.

On Rothwell, he didn't get so many regular starts as he should as he was injured a fair bit. Nowt to do with him not being trusted.

Mowatt, it just didn't click here as he did after he went to back to Barnsley who we signed him on loan from. That may have been due to the combination of midfield players here not being quite right for his style of play, or him not settling so well here, or being under Pep Clotet. But then he took a while to settle at Barnsley and only became key after the loan at ours. And Mowatt still made 34 appearances for us. It didn't help either that he got sent off away at Pompey (KR's 1st game?), but after his 3 game suspension, started in 5 of the 6 remaining games under KR. Only not starting at Blackburn on the final day.

Last edited:
I somewhat feel for players like Rothwell and Nelson that were sold a vision under Appleton, only for him to leave a year later and get stuck with Clotet.

Just a observation
Tom Davies of Everton.
Similar height and weight.
2018/2021
Matches 71
Goals 1
Assist 1
Value £14 m

Also Bristol rovers sold a 15 year old for over 200k last week.
Maybe they are better players.

If that’s the case you need be asking questions about the rest of the team.
Let’s be honest, we have people on here giving opinions on a player. From a tv screen.
The 1 home game attended recently he was man of the match.
He’s been with us for two and a half seasons squad player seems to be his limit at the moment, if he stays he needs to improve.

I somewhat feel for players like Rothwell and Nelson that were sold a vision under Appleton, only for him to leave a year later and get stuck with Clotet.
Clotet was only with us for less than six months, thank God

He’s been with us for two and a half seasons squad player seems to be his limit at the moment, if he stays he needs to improve.
Their all squad players, and those who are thought to be playing well enough at the time start.

There is a lot of spiel regarding end product - and quite rightly.

For me its about impacting games - assists, goals, tackles in the defensive third, winning 1 on 1 battles, creating overloads, delivering a ball across the 6 yard box. There are multiple players at OUFC who fail to do that vs the better teams.

If we are serious about the championship, our midfield will not consist of Gorrin or Sykes next season.

Madness re Gorrin.

He wins plenty of battles and makes tackles.

I understand that there are those who are questioning my Sykes and Gorrin comment. Again, Its not that I think they aren't up to the level we are at. Its just that I don't think they are up to the level above where we are at.

Some one on here said that they imagine a midfield of Gorrin, McGuane and Branagan. I don't see how that improves on where we are right now? Barely in the playoffs after 46 games, not able to compete with the better sides, and dispatched with ease by a team who have a lot of the ingredients to survive in the league above. The Blackpool spectacle spells it out clearly for us. We need to employ 2 midfielders who can turn the game over. Branagan and Mcguane need to push on from this season but I do feel they have the technical ability to play in the championship.

However, perhaps I need to temper my expectations? I was under the impression that we wanted to push on though?

I understand that there are those who are questioning my Sykes and Gorrin comment. Again, Its not that I think they aren't up to the level we are at. Its just that I don't think they are up to the level above where we are at.

Some one on here said that they imagine a midfield of Gorrin, McGuane and Branagan. I don't see how that improves on where we are right now? Barely in the playoffs after 46 games, not able to compete with the better sides, and dispatched with ease by a team who have a lot of the ingredients to survive in the league above. The Blackpool spectacle spells it out clearly for us. We need to employ 2 midfielders who can turn the game over. Branagan and Mcguane need to push on from this season but I do feel they have the technical ability to play in the championship.

However, perhaps I need to temper my expectations? I was under the impression that we wanted to push on though?
I’m happy with Sykes and don’t expect us to revolutionise the side but think we do need to improve in Gorrins position. He’s an asset but all those fouls and bookings drive me mad and he doesn’t really dominate games. Not sure if he has scope to improve or if we need to find a beast to play there.

I’m happy with Sykes and don’t expect us to revolutionise the side but think we do need to improve in Gorrins position. He’s an asset but all those fouls and bookings drive me mad and he doesn’t really dominate games. Not sure if he has scope to improve or if we need to find a beast to play there.
The thing is, the style we play is superb. I love the way we look, but Im as sure as sure can be that we are lacking in certain areas if our desire is to progress. As a squad we are a bit soft and naive. We will need to bring in fresh faces of course with a more physical/cynical edge, but there needs to be a focus with the current squad too in these areas.

The thing is, the style we play is superb. I love the way we look, but Im as sure as sure can be that we are lacking in certain areas if our desire is to progress. As a squad we are a bit soft and naive. We will need to bring in fresh faces of course with a more physical/cynical edge, but there needs to be a focus with the current squad too in these areas.
Yes I agree, we can’t chsnge everyone and we don’t want to, but DM is an area we can get tougher. Also an older guy in defence would help sometimes.

Yes I agree, we can’t chsnge everyone and we don’t want to, but DM is an area we can get tougher. Also an older guy in defence would help sometimes.
Yep - with you on that. I think our first line of defence needs attention too. As Ive said on other threads, Taylor needs a partner who is a bit nasty.

Back
Top Bottom