Ex Player Mark Sykes

Point is when McGuane and Brannagan are fit and with Robinson wanting to bring another midfielder in his position, he’ll be on the bench. Don’t get me wrong he’s a cracking player just lacks goals and assists and he’ll leave on a free next year anyway.
Well Cma okayed when Sykes was playing and yes I agree about McGuane. We have a pretty good crop of midfielders and I think Lee maybe the other midfielder who comes in, so it will be interesting.

I posted recently he needs bulking up alot of work needs to be done with him .But my worry is we do all that and he's out on contract next year and he'll go for nothing. Maybe KR wants him for back up ?

Agreed, he's a talented player.

However, as I've said many, many times before, he really needs to bulk up, he's way too skinny and flimsy, and simply isn't strong enough to compete physically at this level, he gets outmuscled and knocked off the ball ridiculously easily, but if he can get himself in the gym and bulk up, and add a bit of strength and physicality to his game, then he'd be an excellent player to have in the squad.

Look at Long and Ruffels, they have both bulked up in recent seasons, turned themselves into athletic units, in order to compete physically at this level, and as a result, have taken their games to the next level.

If he's also gonna take his game to the next level, Sykes needs to do the same...

Last summer was very short plus Sykes became a day, so I expect it was hard to bulk up whilst also developing speed and stamina. With a longer break I'd hope that he can really build some strength and also find the killer instinct. He's a good player but to make the step up he needs to add more goals and assists and a lot of that is in the head.

He’s slim but I think quite strong and very hard working. He is a great second string midfielder and I really like him on the right wing. It would just be hard to refuse a decent cash offer.

As pointed out previously his goal tally is no worse than the rest of our midfield, with the exception of Henry.
Ipswich won’t be the only interest this summer.

As pointed out previously his goal tally is no worse than the rest of our midfield, with the exception of Henry.
Elliott Lee got more from similar positions.

Cam Brannagan was injured for the first half of the season, played DM the second half, but has a decent goalscoring record for us otherwise.

McGuane racked up 4 assists for us before getting injured.

We all like Sykesy, he just needs to add something tangible to his game, other than a couple of fancy tricks and bags of effort.

Elliott Lee got more from similar positions.

Cam Brannagan was injured for the first half of the season, played DM the second half, but has a decent goalscoring record for us otherwise.

McGuane racked up 4 assists for us before getting injured.

We all like Sykesy, he just needs to add something tangible to his game, other than a couple of fancy tricks and bags of effort.
THInking about it, who would you prefer to face playing against us in a years time, out of Sykes, Lee, and Forde? I think I’d be most worried about a fired up Sykes.

THInking about it, who would you prefer to face playing against us in a years time, out of Sykes, Lee, and Forde? I think I’d be most worried about a fired up Sykes.
If we could get 300k for Forde, I'd sanction that sale instead.

Only thing that would worry me about facing Sykes is the inevitability of the ex-player goal. Probably the only one he'd get that season.

Only thing that would worry me about facing Sykes is the inevitability of the ex-player goal. Probably the only one he'd get that season.
Lee is currently the better player but as someone said above Sykes is young and has a lot of potential to improve.

Lee is currently the better player but as someone said above Sykes is young and has a lot of potential to improve.

The key point is, does he sign a contract extension for more than next year? That's what's being discussed, really. I'd be doubtful about it, if he's not making our first XI, and can double his wages at one of the 'bigger' clubs a year down the line.

If that's the case, then take any good money that's being offered now. Add a sell on clause too as insurance against any realised potential.

Only problem there is Forde is out of contract, so not saleable!!

I hope we can get Sykes to sign a new contract. Hes young has got good skills the goals and assists will come most importantly hes very fit and doesnt get injured we do not need any more crocks whatever their pedigree is.

I hope we can get Sykes to sign a new contract. Hes young has got good skills the goals and assists will come most importantly hes very fit and doesnt get injured we do not need any more crocks whatever their pedigree is.

What tells you the goals will come ? He has no composure whatsoever in front of goal and just seems incapable of slotting a ball low or high past a goalkeeper. If he was a kid in his first few games you could understand the rabbit in headlight moments but he’s played in a lot of atmospheric matches and just freezes in one on ones. Even without crowds and, to an extent, the pressure off he’s no better.

Sssh!

The way he yelps and goes down like he's been shot twice a game is the closest thing we have to the dark arts!

Lee has a far better goal scoring record and Sykes has has far more chances than Gorrin obviously.
I like Sykes but I am not sure if anybody would suggest that Sykes ' finishing needs to improve

I'm surprised at how high some of the prices people are putting on Sykes are. We paid 350k for McGuane who I think most would agree is the better player with the higher potential. I like Sykes, I really do, but I doubt anyone would offer us over 150k plus a small sell on given his really poor goals/assists tally and one year on the contract. If someone did come in with 300k and a sell on then I reckon we'd bite their hand off, and if we went in for a CM/CAM with his stats and contract for 300k KR would rightly be slated.

FWIW I think Sykes has potential and if he kicks on next season could be a good asset (if we can tie him to a new contract beyond this season), but 300k and a sell on would be a bonkers offer for him in the current climate and given his performances thus far.

If someone did come in with 300k and a sell on then I reckon we'd bite their hand off, and if we went in for a CM/CAM with his stats and contract for 300k KR would rightly be slated.
We just paid over 300k for a CM/CAM who didn’t score a goal in 20 games, and most people seem thrilled. Elliot Lee scored 6 goals in the same number of appearances and a fair amount of people don’t seem much above lukewarm on the idea of taking him, even on a free.

Just an observation.

We just paid over 300k for a CM/CAM who didn’t score a goal in 20 games, and most people seem thrilled. Elliot Lee scored 6 goals in the same number of appearances and a fair amount of people don’t seem much above lukewarm on the idea of taking him, even on a free.

Just an observation.
You're not wrong but we both know it goes a little deeper than that. McGuane got 4 assists in those 20 games, with some of those games being when we were as a team doing poorly. Sykes played more than double the number of games, and 1500 minutes more than McGuane and also only got 4 assists in a team that were doing very well, and also missed a number of very good chances. I think anyone who has watched both can see McGuane is the brighter prospect currently - with currently being the crucial term.

Elliott Lee I'm less lukewarm about than others, I think he's a lot like Henry in that he can disappear from games but the goals and assists tally is still decently strong. 6 goals and 3 assists in 18 games is a very good return and if he matched that over a full season you're looking at the perfect Henry replacement longer term. Personally I think we should absolutely be signing him, but not at the expense of a pacey winger.

You're not wrong but we both know it goes a little deeper than that. McGuane got 4 assists in those 20 games, with some of those games being when we were as a team doing poorly. Sykes played more than double the number of games, and 1500 minutes more than McGuane and also only got 4 assists in a team that were doing very well, and also missed a number of very good chances. I think anyone who has watched both can see McGuane is the brighter prospect currently - with currently being the crucial term.
I’m not debating that McGuane is most likely a better player than Sykes overall, as you rightly say he matched Sykes’ assist returns in half the number of games, I’m merely saying that there’s an argument that we already signed a player who plays the same role as Sykes who at least doesn’t score any more goals than he does, for the sort of money you mentioned, and that nobody appears to be reacting with anything less than jubilation. At least I can remember Sykes getting into a few good positions, even if he didn’t finish his chances. How many goalscoring positions did McGuane get himself into? I can’t remember him going through on goal even once. I would certainly be interested to see the xG and xA numbers on the pair of them.

Basically, I’m neither criticising McGuane nor sticking up for Sykes. Merely saying that personally, I see pretty similar players with pretty similar output. For now. If McGuane can play 40 games next season and chip in with 8+ assists and a few goals then there will certainly be no doubt that there isn’t a comparison to be had.

Cam played the holding midfield position was never going to get many goals, Corrin who normally plays there is hardly prolific either.

Back
Top Bottom