Ex Player Mark Sykes

If you were a championship manager would you buy Sykes, and if you did how many games would you think he would play between January and the end of the season.

If you were a championship manager would you buy Sykes, and if you did how many games would you think he would play between January and the end of the season.
He would get his chance regularly if it’s a lower championship side whereas middle to top half he may get the odd game

On a free he’d be fairly low risk though. You could easily loan him to L1 and get his wages back if it didn’t work out.

I don’t think he’d currently get a game in a championship side. I think people are underestimating the gulf between the two leagues.

I don’t think he’d currently get a game in a championship side. I think people are underestimating the gulf between the two leagues.
It is a big gap but if you consider that Wycombe nearly stayed up ( with mainly the team that scraped up from L1) and Blackpool are now 10th and 3 points off 5th in the Championship having also gone up in the play offs and with a lot of their L1 players, it is more than possible for decent L1 players to be successful in the Championship.

Roofe, Dickie,Lundstram, Rothwell, Baldock , Atkinson, Johnson and Nelson have all comfortable adapted to the championship.
Even Mowatt who struggled to get a game here, but now every championship side would of liked him in their side.
So can’t see why Sykes couldn’t.

Roofe, Dickie,Lundstram, Rothwell, Baldock , Atkinson, Johnson and Nelson have all comfortable adapted to the championship.
Even Mowatt who struggled to get a game here, but now every championship side would of liked him in their side.
And Ledson.

Don’t forget Chey back in league one now tho

They were better players.

Also all that list and then you have ruffles who as far I know can’t get in the Huddersfield team yet he was a very good player for us so it works both ways Sykes might be a success but he might not nobody knows

How on earth do you know what has gone on?
'Very poor management having zero knowledge?
What if Sykes has said I am.off to play in the Championship?
That would probably go as well as his decision to dump Northern Ireland for the Republic at international level.

They were better players.

Your entitled to your opinion.
Sykes has come through Irish league football, not having the luxury of being looked after by premier league clubs.
He and Gavin Whyte have come here and had to prove themselves.
Which they have in my opinion.
I’ve said before Robinson got the best out of Gavin, which ended in a good move for himself and us.
I think there’s still a lot more to come from Mark Sykes.

Most of them at one point were the first name on the team sheet. Sykes just isn't. I'm not saying that he couldn't, but he has to be a star performer most weeks scoring and creating before you'd think he'd be able to make the step up.

For Mowatt it just didn't work out because no one knew what his best position was. When Karl came in he played him on the left wing as it was loaded in the centre and there were not options out wide.

• React
Reactions: ljs
Your entitled to your opinion.
Sykes has come through Irish league football, not having the luxury of being looked after by premier league clubs.
He and Gavin Whyte have come here and had to prove themselves.
Which they have in my opinion.
I’ve said before Robinson got the best out of Gavin, which ended in a good move for himself and us.
I think there’s still a lot more to come from Mark Sykes.
Sykes is a good L1 player imo, but won't cut it in the Championship. Not quick enough or big enough. His 'move' from NI to the Republic was not very well thought through. He would have got 30-40 caps for NI, and he's unlikely ever to make the squad for the Republic. Sounds like he was badly advised by his agent. He'll probably go in the summer- he's a decent L1 player, but no more than that.

Sykes is a good L1 player imo, but won't cut it in the Championship. Not quick enough or big enough. His 'move' from NI to the Republic was not very well thought through. He would have got 30-40 caps for NI, and he's unlikely ever to make the squad for the Republic. Sounds like he was badly advised by his agent. He'll probably go in the summer- he's a decent L1 player, but no more than that.
Until we make the championship and if he is still with us we won’t know if he will cut it.

Back
Top Bottom