Ex Player Mark Sykes

Yep - with you on that. I think our first line of defence needs attention too. As Ive said on other threads, Taylor needs a partner who is a bit nasty.
He won’t get a partner but a bigger plan B would be good. However we’d need to shift Winnall or get richer for that to happen.

Just to clarify I think Sykes is good enough to be a squad player and I’d keep him if no money was offered.

.... But if someone’s offering a big chunk of change I’d take it and roll the dice with our recruiting team. I think with our track record it would be like a successful house flip and reinvestment.

Just to clarify I think Sykes is good enough to be a squad player and I’d keep him if no money was offered.

.... But if someone’s offering a big chunk of change I’d take it and roll the dice with our recruiting team. I think with our track record it would be like a successful house flip and reinvestment.
Kind of up to him a bit as well

No problem with the big chunk,, everyone has their price, as long as it’s in the clubs interest.
And we replace with a future big chunk replacement.

Eales termined aged him just before selling up.
He always seemed to maintain that it was not due to the results and what was happening on the pitch.
I presume you mean off the pitch...some not so ethical going ons and performance trajectory compounded the decision should think.

Man, the guy still drives me absolutely spare.

There was a moment first half on Saturday where someone played a long-ish ball into him in the middle of the park, and he took it down in-stride with his in-step on the turn and on the run - Messi couldn't had done it better. And then he drove forwards about ten yards before stopping and playing a really crap ball out right.

And then of course there's the penalty, which was absolutely brainless and cost us two points.
KR gave him a big chance to start the season, ahead of McGuane & Gorrin, and he's put in a performance that's probably going to see him banished again for a while (just like Swindon last year).

You watch Mark Sykes regularly, and all the pieces are there to create one hell of a player.....but he just can't seem to put it all together. I'm starting to fear that he never will now. Still too little end product and too many mental mistakes.

I would love to see the data (as ever)

Incredible to watch but ….
+ fouls
+ completed passes
+ assists
+ goals
+ successful tackles etc etc

matched up against his peers for us and across the division. Because quite frankly right now I don’t know what to make of him.

my hunch is similar to big Tony’s ….Premier league skill set but end product considerably lacking . His most important goal for us was a failed cross

+ fouls
+ successful tackles etc etc
These two, are definitely the most concerning..

I can kind of look past the whole goals and assists thing, because you can still contribute to the game in a positive way, without those things. However, his tackling is an absolute shambles and so often, it causes us problems!

I think because there isn't the end product, Sykes appears more and more anxious to make a difference and this leads to some of his errors. He needs composure and both ends of the pitch, and I think a top class Sports Psychologist could be the difference between him floating around the lower leagues and having a successful career in the Championship.

I think because there isn't the end product, Sykes appears more and more anxious to make a difference and this leads to some of his errors. He needs composure and both ends of the pitch, and I think a top class Sports Psychologist could be the difference between him floating around the lower leagues and having a successful career in the Championship.
I think you could be right about a sports psychologist I honestly think there is a mental block stopping him becoming top end championship he has so much talent he could be the Irish version of Gascoigne

Last edited:
I think Sykes shines when he's high up the pitch in a number 10ish role. Would be interesting to see him there with Agyei running on. He's full of energy to lead a high press too. The kind of technical player who needs permission to mess up half of what he attempts because when it works it's marvelous. The looping through-pass he played to set up Henry in the Gas friendly was sublime but he's rarely in that place or with central runners in our system. He's a disaster in our own half. Square peg, round hole? Even by KR standards the Cambridge game was notable for the % of our attacking play sent down the wings, almost to the point where Cambridge figured they could sacrifice the centre and come at us. Just not sure that's a style that suits Sykes (or Agyei for that matter).

There is a really good player lurking within Sykes that needs to be unleashed.
For me, he doesn’t get enough goals and he is a bit rash in his decision making but there is no doubting the skill and energy is all there.
FWIW, I agree that he could really benefit from some high end psych and tactical re-thinking. It could turn him into a really dangerous player.

I'm going to offer odds on this seasons 'Yellows Forum' OUFC fall guy:

Sam Winnall 5/6
Mark Sykes 7/5
James Henry 9/5
Billy Bodin 3/1
Simon Eastwood 5/1
Karl Robinson 8/1
Tiger 12/1
Oxford substitute runs on the pitch during the game, drops his shorts, stabs the ref then does something so unspeakable Oxford are relegated to the conference and fined £500m.

A large number of people on the forum: mildly criticise said player, point out he really shouldn’t have done that

A few others: ‘Oh, here we go! I guess they’re this seasons scapegoat then!’

• React
Reactions: ljs
I think you could be right about a sports psychologist I honestly think there is a mental block stopping him becoming top end championship he has so much talent he could be the Irish version of Gascoigne
Hopefully, he won't play the pipes if he scores.

Back
Top Bottom