Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

Do you remember all the times you performed really well when you and your manager essentially hated each other? Or when your manager publicly said to the rest of your team how you're no good?
Who knows what has been said/asked of the player but hate is a rather strong conjecture. I think KR was pushed to extremes last Sat..normally he usually says his version of no comment and Sykes wasn't actually name-checked though we all knew who he meant.
At least Hally says on record that they argue regularly then make up.

Who knows what has been said/asked of the player but hate is a rather strong conjecture. I think KR was pushed to extremes last Sat..normally he usually says his version of no comment and Sykes wasn't actually name-checked though we all knew who he meant.
At least Hally says on record that they argue regularly then make up.
He said 'people keep telling me Mark Sykes is a good player' I think that's quite clear!! There was a 'no comment' on Eastwood.

Someone stated on here previously that Sykes refused to sign a new contract. Is this known to be a fact or rumour?

The problem is, even if all of his performances had been exactly the same, and people on here were criticising Mark Sykes, but Karl Robinson was defending him, you wouldn’t be saying this, you’d be defending Sykes to high heaven!

If you took the time to read what I say, rather than what you think I say then you'd know that this is rubbish. I said early this year that after Sykes really impressed in the cup games he needed to find a way to stamp his mark or league games. After the playoff final that there was a real prospect there but he needed to give even more to establish himself in the first team. And then within seconds of the final whistle last week I was that the performances from all of the subs was unacceptable.

I want to see Sykes step up, he's a decent young man and I expected to see him follow in the footsteps of Whyte. But regardless of where he plays, there comes a time when he needs to delivery regularly if he wants a successful career. With club squads being reduced even further next summer there will be hundreds of players struggling to find clubs, and time is ticking. I hope he responds and fights his way back in to the team, but if he doesn't want to fight for his place then I'll lose no sleep over him being moved on.

Someone stated on here previously that Sykes refused to sign a new contract. Is this known to be a fact or rumour?

There was talk of a contract extension in the summer, and this wasn't agreed. Whether that is down to player or club, I don't know.

...that , if correct, could explain a lot regarding Sykes
If I was Sykes I’d look at changing my agent! The lad decided to change to ROI from NI, he now won’t sign a new deal. Someone is blowing smoke up his backside yet he still hasn’t done it consistently here. I would be shocked to see a club higher up the leagues take Sykes at the moment.
He is either being badly advised or thinks he is better than he currently is.

If you took the time to read what I say, rather than what you think I say then you'd know that this is rubbish. I said early this year that after Sykes really impressed in the cup games he needed to find a way to stamp his mark or league games. After the playoff final that there was a real prospect there but he needed to give even more to establish himself in the first team. And then within seconds of the final whistle last week I was that the performances from all of the subs was unacceptable.

I want to see Sykes step up, he's a decent young man and I expected to see him follow in the footsteps of Whyte. But regardless of where he plays, there comes a time when he needs to delivery regularly if he wants a successful career. With club squads being reduced even further next summer there will be hundreds of players struggling to find clubs, and time is ticking. I hope he responds and fights his way back in to the team, but if he doesn't want to fight for his place then I'll lose no sleep over him being moved on.
I don’t think I’ve ever agreed more with you

Rate Sykes highly and feel that the manager’s criticism isn’t warranted. There were several worse than him last Saturday. He should be starting games, and he’s certainly a better bet than Kelly. He has already produced several exciting moments for the fan base.

I’d suggest there is a big personality clash causing the problems.

But then again I’m not in the know like the high priests of the forum.

Rate Sykes highly and feel that the manager’s criticism isn’t warranted. There were several worse than him last Saturday. He should be starting games, and he’s certainly a better bet than Kelly. He has already produced several exciting moments for the fan base.

I’d suggest there is a big personality clash causing the problems.

But then again I’m not in the know like the high priests of the forum.

I'm guessing you missed the first hour of the game on Saturday if you think Sykes was better than Kelly?

I'm guessing you missed the first hour of the game on Saturday if you think Sykes was better than Kelly?
Kelly’s second good display for us. It really isn’t a good enough return for a player of his reputation.

As for Sykes, I thought he had every chance to be the next big player for us. He has the natural ability to be so, but he’s become a nearly man. Nearly a killer pass, nearly a goal and nearly gets on the end of a cross. I’ve no idea what is happening between him and Robinson, but he’s another who is living on an occasional historical flourish. I’m trying to put aside my anger at his lack of professionalism last Saturday (for their first goal) and I hope that he can find the catalyst to fulfil his potential with us, but I doubt that he will.

Kelly’s second good display for us. It really isn’t a good enough return for a player of his reputation.

As for Sykes, I thought he had every chance to be the next big player for us. He has the natural ability to be so, but he’s become a nearly man. Nearly a killer pass, nearly a goal and nearly gets on the end of a cross. I’ve no idea what is happening between him and Robinson, but he’s another who is living on an occasional historical flourish. I’m trying to put aside my anger at his lack of professionalism last Saturday (for their first goal) and I hope that he can find the catalyst to fulfil his potential with us, but I doubt that he will.

I agree that we need to see more from Kelly, but I'd argue that the last 3 or 4 performances have been much better so at least he appears to be going in the right direction.

Sykes certainly has the ability, but he drifts out of games far too often. The first goal against Swindon was bad, but was just part of a pretty awful cameo. He replaced Henry on 65 minutes but never looked like he was up for the battle. He could, and should have exploited the space and lack of pace in their defence. The game was crying out for a spark, but he gave nothing. However, with injuries as they are, and several games left this year, he will get another chance. But he needs to show a hell of a lot more or his time may be up.

other players

Marcus Mcguane

TournamentAppsMinsGoalsAssistsYelRedSpGPS%AerialsWonMotMRating
League One6(2)494-4--186.70.316.77
League Cup1(1)N/A-N/A--N/AN/AN/AN/A-
FA Cup1N/A-N/A--N/AN/AN/AN/A-
Papa John's Trophy1(1)N/A-N/A--N/AN/AN/AN/A-
Total / Average134940400186.70.316.77

LIAM KELLY

League One9(1)733-12-0.482.70.3-6.72
Papa John's Trophy3N/A-N/A--N/AN/AN/AN/A-
League Cup0(2)N/A-N/A--N/AN/AN/AN/A-
Total / Average1673301200.482.70.306.72

JAMES HENRY

League One141198213-1.971.31.116.71
League Cup1N/A-N/A--N/AN/AN/AN/A-
Papa John's Trophy1N/A-N/A--N/AN/AN/AN/A-
Total / Average16119821301.971.31.116.71

MATTY TAYLOR

League One13(1)1136513-2.471.22.116.85
League Cup1N/A-N/A--N/AN/AN/AN/A-
Total / Average16113651302.471.22.116.85

It was probably me. He has turned down extension offers from us in recent months.

He was given the Number 10 to try to boost his transfer value, same as Whyte the summer before. This also coincided with his very public switch to the Republic. Lots of moves from all parties to maximise value and attention. Unfortunately covid meant nobody punted the way they likely would have otherwise. This is just football. Chess games, deal brokering etc. It’s all largely played out in plain sight. The shirt number and the headlines regarding Ireland didn’t line up accidentally. Same as Shandon declaring he didn’t want to be locked to Grenada as he still thinks he can make it for England. That got him on the radio and in the papers. A few months later he was off for a couple of million quid.

Sadly we now find ourselves in a position where the player has barely six months left, and although we would be due compensation as he will be 23 when his deal expires, the less he plays between now and then the less he will be deemed to be worth by a tribunal. If he’s a reserve player for a L1 side, is now not in any international pictures and so on, he won’t be deemed to be worth much. Anyone expecting many hundreds of thousands will be sorely disappointed as it stands.

The player and his agent best hope that it pays off for them. Even a one-year extension (making him eligible for a Bosman) like Dickie gave us would’ve been fine, and kept the focus on the here and now and on this season. Guess people were pretty certain that a bid was imminent a few months back. I wonder what sort of interest he’ll have if he spends the next half a year kicking his heels?

Mucky. Sometimes just concentrating on football and working hard is underrated.

Which is where he has played most often. Occasionally he has been asked to tuck in, or play over on the left, but he is generally played in his favoured position but still inconsistent in his performance.
f**k me, Sykes is one of our better players and initially Karl tried to blame the substitutes and then singled out Sykes as the black sheep, horrendous man management. Christ, when Sykes misplaced that pass there were a number of phases of play after that so to single someone out in a TEAM game is beyond me.

Last edited:
Swindon aside, he tends to turn up for the big games, which to me suggests an attitude problem where he's not putting in 100% unless there's eyes on him.

I hate all this B*****s about 'natural positions', there's no such thing. Players have skills and attributes and any professional should know the role of every position on the pitch. Number 10s are going out of fashion fast and somebody who can play exclusively there is practically useless these days, Ozil and Erikson are high profile examples.

He might develop into a good player but really needs to develop some end product, as well as changing his agent and knuckling down.

f**k me, Sykes is one of our better players and initially Karl tried to blame the substitutes and then singled out Sykes as the black sheep, horrendous man management. Christ, when Sykes misplaced that pass there were a number of phases of play after that so to single someone out in a TEAM game is beyond me.

There is no doubt that Mark Sykes has the potential to be one of our better players, but that potential counts for zip if he doesn't show it week in week out. The goal in question, Sykes is caught ball watching at a throw in and the player walks past him to set up the equaliser. On top of that, he misplaced several passes and the only real contribution of note was getting booked for kicking the ball away. The other substitutes were equally as bad, but let's not pretend that his performance against Swindon was anything but poor.

Back
Top Bottom