Ex Player Mark Sykes goes to Bristol City.

Why is it such a big deal whether the players come over and clap you after every game? You have chosen to attend, not been forced to go. It never used to happen and it feels forced sometimes. You can give your all without going in for gestures that only mean something to the needy people.

Personally after a nil nil home draw to Accrington in January I would rather just go home after the match than stand around applauding as if the season has ended, but I am just weird like that.
Always felt "the clap" is a bit contrived. Right up there with kissing the badge...and "Thank you for shopping at Tesco" from those automated tills[emoji23]

Always felt "the clap" is a bit contrived. Right up there with kissing the badge...and "Thank you for shopping at Tesco" from those automated tills[emoji23]
I made the same point earlier in this thread and how I cringed when Holland walked past us at Gillingham and very pointedly lifted and kissed the badge on his shirt, accompanied by a little fist pump. A hollow Johnsonesque gesture. Maybe Sykes should have done some of that?

Yep, leave this thread for now and anyone who still has an issue with the boy can take it up with him personally when we meet them in a playoff semi in a couple of seasons' time........seems to be the method of choice for pathetic grudge holders these days

I think its a respect thing , not about performance just saying to the fans that have spent hard earned money , time , and stood/ sat in some northern dump thanks for coming and supporting.
In Europe the togetherness of the teams and fans seems way above ours . Win,lose or draw we are still Oxford and trying 100% ...and will be back next week .

I think its a respect thing , not about performance just saying to the fans that have spent hard earned money , time , and stood/ sat in some northern dump thanks for coming and supporting.
In Europe the togetherness of the teams and fans seems way above ours . Win,lose or draw we are still Oxford and trying 100% ...and will be back next week .
blame Brexit, were out of Europe now! ...... seriously though , in many mainland European countries there's a culture of ultras,*
sadly certain individuals working for OUFC, for some bizarre reasoning, decided to target OUFCs ultras making it near impossible for them to continue.

* there are several former ultras who contribute to YF , who perhaps can give an enlightened insight into ultra culture and how they interact with their respective clubs in mainland Europe?

granted we now have the Fanatics , who hopefully will grow in numbers and sooner rather than later too

Players come and players go. No need to make an issue of this one. Next.
I think what makes this interesting is the fact he has divided the opinion of fans

Usually when a player leaves and has been good he gets praised, and leaves with our good wishes and rightly so.
Same is true about poor players or those who didn’t feature much eg Hanson we all agree that he was a waste of money injury prone and didn’t play that well when he was on the pitch

The ones that cause the debate are players like Nelson who didn’t sign a contract and left and O Dowda both excellent players for us but left with not 100% blessing

Sykes is out on his own and has divided opinion hence the long thread
But as you say time to draw a line under it

I like the new title of this thread.

'Mark Sykes goes to Bristol City' sounds like a travel show.

Looking forward to 'Alex Gorrin's Canary Islands' or 'Down Under with Ryan Williams'.

I just hope he recommends using the train and going in via Temple Meads.

RE Sykes see Nelson, lundstrum, rothwell, ledson , dunkley etc all used us as stepping stones, why does Sykes get treated differently?

RE Sykes see Nelson, lundstrum, rothwell, ledson , dunkley etc all used us as stepping stones, why does Sykes get treated differently?

Because none of them downed tools for the last few weeks of the season.

Sykes knew about his move over the international break period when Morecambe was postponed. The moment he returned after that majority saw the difference.

Sykes knew about his move over the international break period when Morecambe was postponed. The moment he returned after that majority saw the difference.

Sykes knew that he was moving on a long time before the Morecombe game. This idea that he, or anyone else downed tools is ridiculous.

Surprised? The comments made about him on this very thread, made its way back to the management and player and he was devastated by the suggestion he downed tools and wasn't committed. Some comments were like normal, over the top.

To suggest a player isn't committed is a serious accusation and more often than not, utterly false.

Everyone knew his ambitions from the day he joined. Most are very sensible about our own club business model (and how its a selling point to attract players) but like normal, the louder fans about can't help but find a scapegoat.

It's sad that these unsubstantiated comments got back to the club, and probably explain why Sykes didn't appear for the last game rather than because of any issues between him and Robinson.

Sykes had his faults, but not trying was never one of them.

What a ridiculous comment.

“Downed tools”? Do you think after two minutes of “downing tools“ on a football pitch KR would let him play for us ever again

Back
Top Bottom