Ex Player Mark Sykes goes to Bristol City.

A little surprised at the flak he appears to have got following his initial statement/comments when joining us, he is clearly a young ambitious man and at least he was honest by saying he saw us as a stepping stone to better things ahead for his career. Would rather hear an honest comment than the generic lovely club,ambitious great fans etc.

Surely Mark Sykes on joining us is what our model is about.

A decent player whom I for one enjoyed watching and I wish him every success and happiness in all aspects of life.

Surprised? The comments made about him on this very thread, made its way back to the management and player and he was devastated by the suggestion he downed tools and wasn't committed. Some comments were like normal, over the top.

To suggest a player isn't committed is a serious accusation and more often than not, utterly false.

Everyone knew his ambitions from the day he joined. Most are very sensible about our own club business model (and how its a selling point to attract players) but like normal, the louder fans about can't help but find a scapegoat.

I think, when it comes down to it, as fans we like to delude ourselves a little bit - we like to believe that players are as deeply committed to the club as we are, and will show loyalty above and beyond what's written in their contract.
In some very rare cases, it's true (Beano, for example) but most of the time, it's just fantasy.

But Mark Sykes was the relatively rare breed of player that immediately disabused that fantasy, and made it quite clear from Day One that he was ambitious and wholly out for what's best for his career. And, of course, he not only did it to us, but did it to his country as well.

In many ways, we ought to be applauding that sort of honesty. In the long run, it's better than players that kiss the badge, pledge undying love of Oxford and then force their way out of the club the first time they get a hint of a 1.5x salary bump.

But in practise, it's never going to be an attitude that makes you popular.......

Perhaps some fans wasn’t impressed with his sulking at full time, and never came over and joined the others to clap supporters.

Not that I’m bothered, but perhaps others are..

Perhaps some fans wasn’t impressed with his sulking at full time, and never came over and joined the others to clap supporters.

It seems so childish to worry about that kind of thing. He didn't clap, and Agyei clapped in a limp weird way. But does it matter? Sykes contributed ten times as much as Agyei, who left on good terms.

It seems so childish to worry about that kind of thing. He didn't clap, and Agyei clapped in a limp weird way. But does it matter? Sykes contributed ten times as much as Agyei, who left on good terms.

I guess some supporters take it to heart, because at the end of the day, they turn up, and pay out of there own back pocket, and would like something in return. I agree it’s a bit childish!

I don’t care, as long as they play there best, the. I’m happy win or lose, as long as they try.

I still think Sykes was involved in our best goal of the season up at Wigan, he and CamBran were instrumental in that goal.

Fair point.

Maybe Sykesy didn't want to go over and get abused again or felt uncomfortable having read people accuse him of not trying, then be expected to applaud some of the 'same' people. Footballers have feelings too, not that we care about that when we're slagging them off.

Good luck to him with his move. He certainly had moments when he looked very decent, and moments when he didn’t. Perhaps a move up to the championship will help him develop some more consistency. I also hope for his sake that he comes to the understanding that you can be both ambitious and meaningfully engage with the supporters of the club that you play for. It creates a mutually supporting bond whilst you are there, costs nothing and is part and parcel of being a true professional.

Yeah, I think it was confirmation bias to those fans that had the opinion that he wasn't trying, but in truth I didn't see a drop-off in his efforts, only his end product. Like I was amazed when people said he didn't try vs Sunderland when for me he was the best attacking player of the game for us. What was true was that the whole side stopped clicking, but because Sykes was on his way out many felt justified directing their anger towards him.

At the end of the day he had no real connection to Oxford or Oxfordshire before joining, so he doesn't have to treat this more than a job no matter how much fans don't like that. With an O'Dowda type I get it, but Sykes will just be another one of those players who had a decent career and used to play for us.

I wish him all the best and reckon he'll be able to be a useful squad player in the Championship, having the odd moment of magic every season.

I think, when it comes down to it, as fans we like to delude ourselves a little bit - we like to believe that players are as deeply committed to the club as we are, and will show loyalty above and beyond what's written in their contract.
In some very rare cases, it's true (Beano, for example) but most of the time, it's just fantasy.

But Mark Sykes was the relatively rare breed of player that immediately disabused that fantasy, and made it quite clear from Day One that he was ambitious and wholly out for what's best for his career. And, of course, he not only did it to us, but did it to his country as well.

In many ways, we ought to be applauding that sort of honesty. In the long run, it's better than players that kiss the badge, pledge undying love of Oxford and then force their way out of the club the first time they get a hint of a 1.5x salary bump.

But in practise, it's never going to be an attitude that makes you popular.......
I have the feeling you are deluded. Let's " applaude " his honesty. Looks like he disrespected the fans and disappeared down the tunnel on more than one occasion ( allegedly ). Done and dusted .

Yeah, I think it was confirmation bias to those fans that had the opinion that he wasn't trying, but in truth I didn't see a drop-off in his efforts, only his end product. Like I was amazed when people said he didn't try vs Sunderland when for me he was the best attacking player of the game for us. What was true was that the whole side stopped clicking, but because Sykes was on his way out many felt justified directing their anger towards him.

At the end of the day he had no real connection to Oxford or Oxfordshire before joining, so he doesn't have to treat this more than a job no matter how much fans don't like that. With an O'Dowda type I get it, but Sykes will just be another one of those players who had a decent career and used to play for us.

I wish him all the best and reckon he'll be able to be a useful squad player in the Championship, having the odd moment of magic every season.
Holy Truth Battman

This is spot on, as I have said earlier on this post if for one moment KR thought Sykes wasn’t giving 100% he would not have played for us again. His form may have dipped but so did others in certain games. Seddon is a good example after a number of poor performances he gets dropped. That was not the case with Sykes
We don’t know what contract he was offered by us, it may have been only one year, but he backed his own ability and I hope he makes a success of his career as Atkinson has.
If he is played constantly in the correct position I think there is a very good player,we shall see next season

Holy Truth Battman

This is spot on, as I have said earlier on this post if for one moment KR thought Sykes wasn’t giving 100% he would not have played for us again. His form may have dipped but so did others in certain games. Seddon is a good example after a number of poor performances he gets dropped. That was not the case with Sykes
We don’t know what contract he was offered by us, it may have been only one year, but he backed his own ability and I hope he makes a success of his career as Atkinson has.
If he is played constantly in the correct position I think there is a very good player,we shall see next season
He not only kept playing him but was also happy to give him the last man on the half way line role at corners, not something you'd give to someone who was unwilling to put the effort in to deal with potential breakaways single handedly.

Windmill's scenario sums up the worst aspect of this forum: "it appears" and "allegedly" become "done and dusted" without a second thought and the dye is cast - then confirmation bias kicks in and the player is doomed forever more

Why is it such a big deal whether the players come over and clap you after every game? You have chosen to attend, not been forced to go. It never used to happen and it feels forced sometimes. You can give your all without going in for gestures that only mean something to the needy people.

Personally after a nil nil home draw to Accrington in January I would rather just go home after the match than stand around applauding as if the season has ended, but I am just weird like that.

Back
Top Bottom