Ex Player Mark Sykes goes to Bristol City.

Player who said at first interview OUFC are a "stepping stone" in treating OUFC as a stepping stone shocker.

It is and will remain a problem whilst we are all fart and no s**t as far as promotion is concerned.

We move on.
Being the pretty small club that we are, how do you think we entice decent young prospects in the first place if we don't offer to develop them and be a platform for them to move onto bigger clubs?

Not sure he's worthy of such a long thread.

Decent footballer, plenty of potential to improve even more at another club higher up the ladder.

Never really fulfilled his potential here, was great to watch at times but also weak and often easy to run through defensively.

Clearly fancies a change and think we can improve on him quite easily, certainly not bothered he's moving on. Let's see who we bring in.

Not sure he's worthy of such a long thread.

Decent footballer, plenty of potential to improve even more at another club higher up the ladder.

Never really fulfilled his potential here, was great to watch at times but also weak and often easy to run through defensively.

Clearly fancies a change and think we can improve on him quite easily, certainly not bothered he's moving on. Let's see who we bring in.
Quite right,he replied, adding to the long thread

Ironically, given his shirt number and where he generally played this season, I think Sykes was best as a 10. Limited defensive capacity but could make things happen on the front foot. We never really played a system where he could play this role, or, when we did, his versatility and the lack of other options forced him out of position. May be an unpopular opinion but I think he could do a real job playing in his preferred role in this league or above. Will be disappointed to see him go.

Ironically, given his shirt number and where he generally played this season, I think Sykes was best as a 10. Limited defensive capacity but could make things happen on the front foot. We never really played a system where he could play this role, or, when we did, his versatility and the lack of other options forced him out of position. May be an unpopular opinion but I think he could do a real job playing in his preferred role in this league or above. Will be disappointed to see him go.
I've seen this written a fair bit yet who was the one by the halfway line at our set pieces covering any break away.

it's odd that once a fair player is moving on, we read comments like wont be missed etc.

We are seeing it elsewhere now with Gorrin whom until the rumour of a possible move elsewhere, was acknowledged right up to just days prior as a massive miss.

We are seeing it elsewhere now with Gorrin whom until the rumour of a possible move elsewhere, was acknowledged right up to just days prior as a massive miss.
Before Gorrin was injured he was being used less often due to the limitations in distribution.
Like many players they become better when they don't play.
I think that most thought somebody in Gorrins position was a massive miss rather than Gorrin himself.

Before Gorrin was injured he was being used less often due to the limitations in distribution.
I think that most thought somebody in Gorrins position was a massive miss rather than Gorrin himself.
Exactly this , Gorrin was a good player but we can improve on that vital position , I'm sure it was being mooted on here that we could get an improvement . And I'm sure we will.
The issue was not having or getting a replacement in . Still think Forde could have been a useful player in that role but we will get much better I'm confident.

I've seen this written a fair bit yet who was the one by the halfway line at our set pieces covering any break away.

it's odd that once a fair player is moving on, we read comments like wont be missed etc.

The guy can’t tackle and is weak

And I’m not sure I know what position he plays at championship . Not a winger not a striker doesn’t score enough to play in the hole

Well summed up.
Let him go .

Yes it's the quality player in that position we were missing not Gorrin he was starting to struggle . The amount of times fans were moaning about him time for a change and Iam sure there will be some great signings coming in🤞

I don't want to be too critical of sykes. He can play alright, it's just that we have come along way in our standards and expectations over the last few seasons.

The problem is with sykes is that his failings are obvious to even the most uneducated of football fans so it's imperative he excels in other areas. He doesn't quite do that unfortunately.
He can do the most remarkable of step overs one minute and then get thrown around like a rag doll the next...exposing the team terribly.
We need better, and I say it again, with aspirations of being a top 30 club I would expect a budget to buy us better.

I thought Sykes was assigned that role as he's pretty quick but no threat in the opposition box in the air.

• React
Reactions: MJB
I thought Sykes was assigned that role as he's pretty quick but no threat in the opposition box in the air.
Yes Sykes was always covering when we had corners and yes because of his pace and tbh I don’t think there was any time he was needed to come to our rescue being the final man.

Back
Top Bottom