Current Player #18 Marcus McGuane

Three main things here for me:
1) He would probably have been at least a squad player for a Championship side next year, so for him to have been impressed enough by OUFC to return here says a lot about what's going on behind the scenes at the club. I would imagine he's taken a bit of a pay cut, too.

2) Credit to KR and the board for getting business done early. MM hitting the ground running after a full pre-season with the club could see him in contention for POTY next year if we're still in League One.

3) Credit too to KR for obviously having learned from having his fingers burnt previously with regards to announcing this early. I doubt he'd have made the comments he did about MM a few weeks ago if the deal wasn't guaranteed.

Superb signing, from memory I think he was under contract still for another year or two? Assume we’ve had to pay a chunk to get him.

Very pleased with that news. He’s an excellent fit for our model.

Now thats a serious signing and a real show of where we are heading . A significant investment and wow .....this could be an exciting summer .
Great work by the board and KR to convince him to have signed.

Absolutely top draw signing. Well done to all involved in pulling that one out of the bag🙌🙌👏👏👏👏

Risk of Matt Taylor being out on Sunday now with a permanent semi :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Excellent signing. He will improve significantly in the next three years with regular football.
A signing that perfectly fits the model.
Really pleased.

I wonder how the finance has worked? Is there a fee? He must have taken a pay cut, at least I hope he has. Great news anyway.

Can’t complain that we aren’t getting our business done early this time, can we?

I think McGuane is at that stage where he needs to feel at home. No more loan moves or carrying the ‘potential’ tag anymore. He needs to be playing games and proving his worth. Presumably we have a nice fat valuation clause in his contract so no one can nab him for a pittance and at 22 with a three year contract looks another great acquisition for the development model.

I wonder how the finance has worked? Is there a fee? He must have taken a pay cut, at least I hope he has. Great news anyway.
I would expect a fee of at least a few hundred thousand unless we've given them big sell on. The thing is I don't think Forest valued him as highly as a lot of their other youngsters, and a Forest supporting friend when I was telling him how McGuane was getting on earlier this season had no idea who he is. If as it seems Marcus said to them I want to leave and I want to join OUFC and won't leave for anyone else, it could also have dropped the price a little in our favour as it gave us more negotiating power if they wanted to move him on.

Back
Top Bottom