Current Player Marcus Browne

Marcus Browne scored a goal every 4 games or so for us across two spells and could play wide for through the middle. I doubt anyone would turn him down if we had the chance to bring him in.

However, if we're limited on how many players we can bring in then I'd rather look at an out and out striker first rather than someone who can play there if asked. If Taylor remains fit then he starts, which could potentially leave us with Holland, Sykes, Browne, Whyte, Henry, Williams, Bodin, Cooper and maybe Goodrham sharing two wide positions.

However, if Taylor missed half a dozen games or more I would be looking for something more than Browne, Whyte, Agyei or Winnall.

My priorities would be,

1. A young PL striker with pace to burn and looking to make an immediate impact, or a league 1/2 experienced and fit striker able to come straight in to the team.

2. Back up left back, ideally one who can slot in across the back 4 or play further forward too.

3. Young players in the mould of Atkinson or McNally who can find their feet ahead of the summer.

4. Additional players only if we off load others, and where they offer a significant improvement on those leaving.

If we can get them all then great, but not only do I think that we'll struggle to get some players out on loan, but also the market is difficult and we simply may not be able to get players ready to make an immediate impact and at a price that enables us to stay within budgets and FFP rules.

Marcus Browne scored a goal every 4 games or so for us across two spells and could play wide for through the middle. I doubt anyone would turn him down if we had the chance to bring him in.

However, if we're limited on how many players we can bring in then I'd rather look at an out and out striker first rather than someone who can play there if asked. If Taylor remains fit then he starts, which could potentially leave us with Holland, Sykes, Browne, Whyte, Henry, Williams, Bodin, Cooper and maybe Goodrham sharing two wide positions.

However, if Taylor missed half a dozen games or more I would be looking for something more than Browne, Whyte, Agyei or Winnall.

My priorities would be,

1. A young PL striker with pace to burn and looking to make an immediate impact, or a league 1/2 experienced and fit striker able to come straight in to the team.

2. Back up left back, ideally one who can slot in across the back 4 or play further forward too.

3. Young players in the mould of Atkinson or McNally who can find their feet ahead of the summer.

4. Additional players only if we off load others, and where they offer a significant improvement on those leaving.

If we can get them all then great, but not only do I think that we'll struggle to get some players out on loan, but also the market is difficult and we simply may not be able to get players ready to make an immediate impact and at a price that enables us to stay within budgets and FFP rules.

A fair point ( again ) about the budget and FFP rules especially if we have any intent on bringing Kane in on a permanent
and there is also the option to buy Holland that i guess we will take up, so yea its not going to be easy but i think we might
be on the cusp of something and i`m hoping the board can be a little creative* **.

I know this is going to be contentious but i can quite easily imagine KR thinking something like this...

No need for another striker, Taylor, Winnall, Whyte and Browne is fine, no need for a LB, if Seddon gets injured Thorniley
can step in while McNally and Moore can take the CB slots.
We do need cover at CDM and apart from Holland we have Cooper at LW, so an upgrade there makes sense and Browne
coming in would sort that out.

Personally i would add a striker to the list if the right one can be found, but like i said i can imagine KR would be happy enough
with the players we have.

* Bangkokglass, Mola, Ben Watt Davis to Wolves for 500k, create more shares ? Clutching at straws here...
** If either or both of these were to happen i guess payment could be deferred until next season ?

Last edited:
* Bangkokglass, Mola, Ben Watt to Wolves for 500k, create more shares ? Clutching at straws here...
** If either or both of these were to happen i guess payment could be deferred until next season ?
Ben Watt to Wolves for £500k?
Do you know something I don't?

Ben Watt to Wolves for £500k?
Do you know something I don't?

Ooops, bit of a brain fart, i was thinking of Ben Davis who reminds me of Tsun Dai in that his
SE Asian connection might have some value. Very much a case of 1+1 = lots.

Ooops, bit of a brain fart, i was thinking of Ben Davis who reminds me of Tsun Dai in that his
SE Asian connection might have some value. Very much a case of 1+1 = lots.

I do like the idea that that's our new model: sign obscure Asian players then sell them to Wolves for far more than they are worth.

A fit Marcus Browne and Nathan Holland competing on the left
And with Gavin Whyte and Mark Sykes doing likewise on the right.
Add a decent young centre forward.
Think that would make some statement on a push for promotion.
Edit also Ciaron Brown lb/lch

The love of ex players continues.

We wouldn't be entertaining the signing of a player who hasn't played in a year due to an ACL injury. See Bodin/Winnall initial signing threads.

Browne would be a gamble in a number of ways.

Apart from the obvious one what number of ways do you mean ?
For me he ticks just about every box.
The only concern i would have is he has come back from and an ACL injury. For some they will come back and carry on others seem to lose their mojo and can’t get back to their previous level of playing football.

Hopefully Saturday will have shown him that Whyte is very much a wide player rather than a central striker!
Didn't he play really well for NI v Italy I'm the middle upfront?
I saw Whyte destroy Shrewsbury with a hat trick through the middle.
So to me that suggests that at times he can be really useful down the middle.

Didn't he play really well for NI v Italy I'm the middle upfront?
I saw Whyte destroy Shrewsbury with a hat trick through the middle.
So to me that suggests that at times he can be really useful down the middle.
Maybe we don't play in a way that makes him effective there? All I can say is that it certainly didn't work on Saturday, nor when we used him as a 10 as few games ago.

I'm not saying that he couldn't play there on occasion - more that he is not a replacement/competition/alternative to Taylor and trying to make him into one might well end up losing his effectiveness out wide.

Cant speak for the game on sat (obviously) but v fleetwood i thought whyte did a lot of hard work up front, especially/notably by pulling their defence out of position, leaving other oxford players to capitalise on the space created....we won 3-1, & iy perhaps shouldve been a bigger margin.

Cant speak for the game on sat (obviously) but v fleetwood i thought whyte did a lot of hard work up front, especially/notably by pulling their defence out of position, leaving other oxford players to capitalise on the space created....we won 3-1, & iy perhaps shouldve been a bigger margin.
To be fair though, Fleetwood were absolute pants!

Maybe we don't play in a way that makes him effective there? All I can say is that it certainly didn't work on Saturday, nor when we used him as a 10 as few games ago.

I'm not saying that he couldn't play there on occasion - more that he is not a replacement/competition/alternative to Taylor and trying to make him into one might well end up losing his effectiveness out wide.
A couple of times in the first half, Whyte was in if we played the ball through to him to run onto, but we (think it was Henry on the occasions I remember) held onto the ball too long and went the other way.

I am.not sure that Taylor would have had a lot of success on Tuesday.
I agree that he ls unlikely that he will become a striker in a 3 upfront, but get why he is ahead of Winnall and Agyei.
The assumption that he can only play at a wide man to me is wrong though based on what I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom