Man City v Spurs - VAR

Did the VAR decision at the end of the game ruin it?

• Yes

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
What an entertaining game and a fantastic advertisement for English football.

My question is, did the VAR decision at the end of the game spoil it?

My wife said it did, but I disagreed as it WAS offside.

The laws of the game say disallow it as he was a fraction offside, the same as Man Utd penalty at PSG for handball, it didn’t spoil it for me, I was laughing my bollox off at pep leaping about up and down the touch line one minute and sad faced the next.

The laws of the game say disallow it as he was a fraction offside, the same as Man Utd penalty at PSG for handball, it didn’t spoil it for me, I was laughing my bollox off at pep leaping about up and down the touch line one minute and sad faced the next.
I don't agree that the laws of the game suggest that the PSG penalty conceded.
That is the recent VAR interpretation and I actually disagree with that interpretation.
Yesterdays was a fantastic game but Aguero was marginally offside so I am not sure how people cam be against the correct decision being made.

The handball for the last Spurs goals rather sums up how inefficient the handball law is at the moment. PSG are correctly (but harshly) punished but Spurs are ok.

The offside was marginal but correctly given. The handball was marginal but not given. If both were left to 'live' decisions then I believe the result would have been fairer.

The handball for the last Spurs goals rather sums up how inefficient the handball law is at the moment. PSG are correctly (but harshly) punished but Spurs are ok.
Mmm PSG are correctly punished,?
A ball was blasted at a defender. Looks to be going over the bar and is given as a penalty and totally changes the game.
That is correct? The punishment in my view nowhere near fits the 'crime '. Handball decisions have become farcical.
What's wrong with the old 'intentional' handball?

A great game though, can’t wait to watch the match on Saturday between them now.

All VAR does is change how the situation is controversial, it hasn’t provided any definite answers. TV companies love it as they get more controversy but thank god it doesn’t affect us, it will get like Rugby soon and they will check every goal.

Not a fan of VAR, haven’t been from day one and nothing I have seen so far has changed my mind.

Removing that instant euphoric high for the fan in the stadium, who has likely followed his team through think and thin, travelled the country and actually bothers to buy a ticket to support his team, takes away so much of what watching live sport is all about.

I can see that it’s an attractive feature for TV companies and the neutral arm chair fans.

VAR Might have helped us IMG_2116.JPGright a wrong here.

As for the Lorente goal?. IMHO....there was a double pen shout as the manc defender clearly pushes him onto the ball which then grazes the manc's hand...

But then my 'B' team is Spurs...IMG_2116.JPG

With regards to the offside goal at the end, am I missing something as I thought if the ball was played from an opposition player, which it was, then it's not offside, even if it deflects off a player on the way? Unless the deflection counted as a pass in this case?

knowing sky they’ll start having adverts before and after every var decision.
var just stops the natural flow of the game. goal line technology is fair enough but should leave it at that

knowing sky they’ll start having adverts before and after every var decision.
var just stops the natural flow of the game. goal line technology is fair enough but should leave it at that
"VAR decision brought to you by Specsavers".

I am surprised corners are not sponsored by a company, pretty sure they do that in the US.

Just to start VAR is rubbish. That said, how VAR has been used for goals has destroyed that immediate moment of pleasure of a goal. From the games I've watched over both legs it has taken a minute plus after every goal for VAR to check even when there was nothing worth checking. It just kills the spontaneity of celebrating key moments in a game which for me is one of the big things about football.

Just to start VAR is rubbish. That said, how VAR has been used for goals has destroyed that immediate moment of pleasure of a goal. From the games I've watched over both legs it has taken a minute plus after every goal for VAR to check even when there was nothing worth checking. It just kills the spontaneity of celebrating key moments in a game which for me is one of the big things about football.
Yes i agree to a point, but in the past there have been calls for video technology where decisions have cost clubs money for incorrect decisions.

Could they do similar to Tennis and Cricket, where clubs have x amount of reviews to use. If the review is un-successful, they lose one.

With regards to the offside goal at the end, am I missing something as I thought if the ball was played from an opposition player, which it was, then it's not offside, even if it deflects off a player on the way? Unless the deflection counted as a pass in this case?

No, the fact that it came off the City player is what counts. You're thinking back to the old days of 'when the ball was played'. FIFA and IFAB have complicated the offside law so much that it's now ludicrous.

As for the third Spurs goal, with the law as it stands that's simply not handball. as I understand it, it will be next year as any time a ball goes in after touching an attacker's hand/arm it will be ruled out, regardless of whether it's intentional or not. Again, ludicrous.

So VAR got both decisions right. Pretty painful for me as City is my second team.

Here's the relevant part of the law:

"A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
interfering with an opponent by:
preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
challenging an opponent for the ball or
*The first point of contact of the ‘play’ or ‘touch’ of the ball should be used
clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or

making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball"

So, when the ball through to Aguero was touched by the City player, Aguero was in an offside position and became active when he went through onto the ball. Therefore, he's committed an offside offence.

Thanks for that, although doesn't that pretty much tie up with what I initially thought, "The first point of contact of the ‘play’ or ‘touch’ of the ball should be used clearly attempting to play a ball " -
ie if Eriksen's pass merely deflected off the City player (can't remember who it was), then, even though it was touched, as it was not deemed a deliberate touch then the forward is not offside. In that case I guess it would come down to the interpretation of whether the touch was deliberate or not, in which case I'm surprised the VAR was not studied.

Back
Top Bottom