Malachi Napa

OUFC1983

Anyone seen or heard what’s going on with Napa? The scouse plum raved about him last season, yet he’s nowhere to be seen now

To my mind, this was the first evidence we had of Robinson shooting his mouth of before thinking. In the RO phone-In that he did on the Friday evening, after he’d been confirmed as manager, he spoke about Napa reminding him of Ademola Lookman, and for this sole reason he raved about him as our potential star player. He’d hardly seen the guy train let alone play matches but jumped to a conclusion. I thought at the time that it was heaping a lot of pressure on the young players shoulders. It soon became apparent he wasn’t really ready so he slipped out of first team contention and then was subsequently shipped out on loan. It’s good that Robinson has a lot of enthusiasm but sometimes he does need to reign it in a bit.

He said something like he's the 'next Ademola Lookman'

Out for the season - was either in the OM or mentioned on Ifollow.

Good luck to him on his road to recovery, but I don't see him in KR's plans. Far too light weight, getting pushed off the ball. Didn't make any impression on loan in division 2, not even getting on the subs bench some games, in a bottom of division 2 side.
We need better if we are seriously to progress. He may be an Oxford lad, but there is no room for sentiment in the position we find ourselves in, both on and off the pitch.

Good luck to him on his road to recovery, but I don't see him in KR's plans. Far too light weight, getting pushed off the ball. Didn't make any impression on loan in division 2, not even getting on the subs bench some games, in a bottom of division 2 side.
We need better if we are seriously to progress. He may be an Oxford lad, but there is no room for sentiment in the position we find ourselves in, both on and off the pitch.
Go back a couple of seasons before he was sold to BC, Callum O’dowda was often “pushed off the ball”.
A good close season with decent training filled him out and the rest is history.
Good luck to Malachi.

I think at least some of that time not on the bench was due to injury/illness (early stages of whatever virus he's had?) and perhaps being a club in crisis, the manager had higher priorities than blooding a young loanee winger for another club such as shoring up his defence...?
Reading the reports today suggests that he will have from now until pre-season to work on his fitness/bulking up once he gets over whatever this virus is that he's had, so I would imagine he will be in better shape to survive the rigours of L1

The reason he wasn't on the subs bench is through injury he was injured from October to end of December.

I think he shows lots of promise he didnt look remotely out of place in the few minutes he had against charlton

I think he shows lots of promise he didnt look remotely out of place in the few minutes he had against charlton

Was that Charlton away when Ledson scores the late winner? If so, didn't he come on after 15/20 mins? He was superb that day and showed what he could be all about. If he can get fit over the summer and bulk out a bit, he could be a real asset next season.

Go back a couple of seasons before he was sold to BC, Callum O’dowda was often “pushed off the ball”.
A good close season with decent training filled him out and the rest is history.
Good luck to Malachi.

One is a championship player turning heads in the Premier league, Brighton, whilst the other couldn't hold down a place on bottom of division 2's bench.
I think he was sent on loan, as KR did say he needed game time. Unfortunately, even in Div 2 he didn't get it. The next place for game time would be a conference club, where he could secure himself a contract, finding his level.

How long have we given Long to come good (for 2 games!)?

It Sounds like Napa has had an illness which had stopped him even training for a couple of months.
KR seemed to rate Napa (wasnt he given a 3 year contract ?)
Let's hope he gets better and has a really good pre season. Then we will see how he has progressed.

• React
Reactions: Ian
One is a championship player turning heads in the Premier league, Brighton, whilst the other couldn't hold down a place on bottom of division 2's bench.
I think he was sent on loan, as KR did say he needed game time. Unfortunately, even in Div 2 he didn't get it. The next place for game time would be a conference club, where he could secure himself a contract, finding his level.
Slowly read my reply again and digest same.
I was referring to Callum O’Dowda two years before his transfer, NOT the more complete player he clearly he is this season,almost another two seasons later !

Slowly read my reply again and digest same.
I was referring to Callum O’Dowda two years before his transfer, NOT the more complete player he clearly he is this season,almost another two seasons later !

Even 2 years before, when he wasn't the complete article, Callum O'Dowda showed that he had great skill and talent, and could play at a much higher level. He went from Division 1 up to Championship. Napa, went to gain game time at a lower league, to a team who were bottom and couldn't make the bench.
I simply think we need a better quality of player if we are serious about progressing. We do have prospects in the U 18's and U23's. Armani little is one that sticks out for me. Against Spurs he had a great game.

Back
Top Bottom