General Mackie

I think we are already a club with a reputation for looking after its players. I’m struggling to think of an instance under Robinson where a player has thrown his toys about. We seem to constantly have a united group.

And that's because he looks after his players, and they all know that.

You don't play Mackie, and therefore he doesn't end up getting paid, then pretty soon you have a disgruntled senior pro on your hands. And then see what happens to the unity of the squad. Robinson knows what he's doing here.

The last time I can remember us benching a player for business reasons was Talbot & Bradbury in January 2006. I'm sure I don't need to remind you what happened at the end of that season.

There seems to be two debates though. Those who are saying that Mackie isn’t on a pay as you play deal and is brought on every single game with a few minutes to go for purely footballing reasons, and those who say yep it’s so he gets paid, and that’s good. Can’t be both ways?

There seems to be two debates though. Those who are saying that Mackie isn’t on a pay as you play deal and is brought on every single game with a few minutes to go for purely footballing reasons, and those who say yep it’s so he gets paid, and that’s good. Can’t be both ways?

Everyone knows that Mackie was on a deal that was heavily based on performances over basic pay. That's never been in question.

The issue is that some seem to begrudge him coming on and therefore get paid more, whilst others think that that is a price worth paying and he offers exactly what we need for football reasons.

Mackie (and Mous) are big players off the pitch. They keep this group together. You keep them happy, you keep the group happy. Worth the wage with our young squad.

Do people think Mackie could/should be kept on as a coach? Admittedly I don't know him personally but doesn't strike me as the 'coaching type', whereas Mous certainly does. Bench also starts to get a bit crowded if both got 1st team coaching roles

I think there's a good chance that Faz might retire in the summer so there will be an opportunity to look at other coaching positions. Not sure that is really Mackie's thing, he's more of the annoying kitman type!!!

Everyone knows that Mackie was on a deal that was heavily based on performances over basic pay. That's never been in question.

The issue is that some seem to begrudge him coming on and therefore get paid more, whilst others think that that is a price worth paying and he offers exactly what we need for football reasons.

No - some people are saying him coming on is what we need for football reasons, and some are saying it’s needed to keep him happy, keep squad unity and show the world that Oxford are a club who look after their players. Those are very different things

No - some people are saying him coming on is what we need for football reasons, and some are saying it’s needed to keep him happy, keep squad unity and show the world that Oxford are a club who look after their players. Those are very different things
There is no reason why the two can't compliment each other, and would suggest that has been exactly the situation for the last few weeks. Since we've had a settled side, Mackie has been playing the role he was expected to, that of an old pro coming on to manage the end of games. The fact that he is getting paid extra for doing so is largely irrelevant.

The fact that, as a club, we aim to look after our players is a secondary issue, but one that is important. It is the reason why we have looked after younger players, like Baptiste and Napa through terrible injuries, as well as supporting more experienced players, like Thorne, Mackie and Mous. That is something we should be proud of, and will be noticed in the game and will help recruitment.

I just find that the same people who seem so upset that Mackie is getting a pretty moderate wage, and milking the club, were the same ones moaning about selling players in January or expecting us to pay £1m for Cadden!!!

Regardless of why it happens - and it DOES happen, despite some people still pretending he isn’t purposefully being subbed on in every game for the appearance fees - I think it makes digs about lack of funds / investment coming from the dugout a bit trickier when we’re essentially dishing out an extra wage in appearance fees. You can sub Jamie Mackie on for two minutes a game or you can tell him to sit down and shut up if he wants to have a tantrum over it, because he’s a player and he can do what he’s told, and possibly afford an extra loan player in January as a result. He signed the deal - he knew the risks. If he doesn’t get on every game then tough luck. It isn’t about him.

Don’t buy this “ooooh it shows the world we look after our players!” claptrap either. It shows that preferential treatment is available to the right characters. What about the other players who might be losing out on appearance fees themselves, or young and developing players losing out on potentially vital experience? Is this looking after them? We’ve already had to watch as Dan Agyei gets handcuffed to the stands for six months, before overtaking Mackie’s goals tally inside a handful of sub appearances. His cameos are now getting so short that they’re almost comical, and nobody can claim they serve a purpose in terms of contributions anymore. It’s a seriously odd thing to watch. We’re only a couple of games away from it getting to the point where he runs on for a goal kick, the whistle blows as the ball sails into the air, and he then turns around and trots down the tunnel without breaking stride.

Whatever. He might still get on for no reason but at least he’s finally gone from starting every other game to being the token third sub, while Taylor bangs in goals for fun and Agyei is making an impact. The team certainly seems to be benefitting. And we all support the club, not certain individuals, right?

Regardless of why it happens - and it DOES happen, despite some people still pretending he isn’t purposefully being subbed on in every game for the appearance fees - I think it makes digs about lack of funds / investment coming from the dugout a bit trickier when we’re essentially dishing out an extra wage in appearance fees. You can sub Jamie Mackie on for two minutes a game or you can tell him to sit down and shut up if he wants to have a tantrum over it, because he’s a player and he can do what he’s told, and possibly afford an extra loan player in January as a result. He signed the deal - he knew the risks. If he doesn’t get on every game then tough luck. It isn’t about him.

Don’t buy this “ooooh it shows the world we look after our players!” claptrap either. It shows that preferential treatment is available to the right characters. What about the other players who might be losing out on appearance fees themselves, or young and developing players losing out on potentially vital experience? Is this looking after them? We’ve already had to watch as Dan Agyei gets handcuffed to the stands for six months, before overtaking Mackie’s goals tally inside a handful of sub appearances. His cameos are now getting so short that they’re almost comical, and nobody can claim they serve a purpose in terms of contributions anymore. It’s a seriously odd thing to watch. We’re only a couple of games away from it getting to the point where he runs on for a goal kick, the whistle blows as the ball sails into the air, and he then turns around and trots down the tunnel without breaking stride.

Whatever. He might still get on for no reason but at least he’s finally gone from starting every other game to being the token third sub, while Taylor bangs in goals for fun and Agyei is making an impact. The team certainly seems to be benefitting. And we all support the club, not certain individuals, right?
Agree with all of the above, mackies token wage we give him for doing nothing could be spent elsewhere. We could put absolutely anyone on the pitch to run around like a lost dog for 5mins and get the exact same outcome. I'm glad everyone has finally realised he is not good enough end of story I've been saying it all season he's terrible. Onwards and upwards looks like we will be close end of the season to going up in some manner so hats off to the players and staff.

I'd have thought that out of all the players in our squad, the one with 60 Premier League and 250 Championship appearances would be alright for money?

I think there's a good chance that Faz might retire in the summer so there will be an opportunity to look at other coaching positions. Not sure that is really Mackie's thing, he's more of the annoying kitman type!!!
If Faz isnt 'retired' early due to covid 19 strategies ? :unsure: :sneaky: :sneaky:

I have to be honest I have been sat here wondering if I was going mental and had completely missed Mackies important game management and lung bursting efforts in getting us over the line over the last 5 games, he has come on very late and had no impact as far as I can tell so at least it’s nice that I am not alone in thinking that.

As we are winning I don’t really care that much, just don’t see the point in pretending that he is playing some important role when he comes on.

Not your best joke Sarge!
Was meant to be in reference to sporting event under consideration by the government to ban / prohibit senior citizens from sports events if the covid 19 situation worsens ....but yep, in hidsight it could be construed differently ....i shall admonish myself by sitting on the naughty step

Was meant to be in reference to sporting event under consideration by the government to ban / prohibit senior citizens from sports events if the covid 19 situation worsens ....but yep, in hidsight it could be construed differently ....i shall admonish myself by sitting on the naughty step
The forum naughty step will be a busy place!!!

Back
Top Bottom