General Mackie

Didn't realise Eastwood was kinda in that group, until everyone started talking about him finally starting to make loads of worldie saves again in the last couple of matches. As though that has to be his default setting.
It's almost like we have to have comic book heroes and villains.

There is a difference between scapegoating people ('we only lost that game because of player x/y/z') and criticism based on what we have seen ('player x doesn't track back', 'player y has had a few off games', 'player z isn't the player he once was' etc).

I don't actually remember much of the former, and the latter is part of discussing how the team is playing.

There is a difference between scapegoating people ('we only lost that game because of player x/y/z') and criticism based on what we have seen ('player x doesn't track back', 'player y has had a few off games', 'player z isn't the player he once was' etc).

I don't actually remember much of the former, and the latter is part of discussing how the team is playing.

This entire thread is based on a perceived notion that Mackie is only playing because of a pay deal rather than looking at what contribution he does or doesn't make. We might not see out and out scapegoating of players, but there are a couple who are targeted for far greater criticism than others.

If there is a "job" to do then put the best person on it. So it cost`s £1k (or whatever)..... end of the season those 2 extra points could be worth a whole lot more.

PS: Did we really need another "bash a player because he gets paid" thread?

So everyone agrees he should only come on to see out a winning position

Hmm. Let's comment on the Sunderland game
Wimbledon when 5 up and proceeds Dan who never got on
Hope I am wrong

So everyone agrees he should only come on to see out a winning position

Hmm. Let's comment on the Sunderland game
Wimbledon when 5 up and proceeds Dan who never got on
Hope I am wrong!!!

Was that the Sunderland game where Ageyi started and played over an hour before being taken off for Marcus Browne, with Mackie coming on for the last few minutes?

And was that the Wimbledon game where Agyei came on with 20 minutes to go, and 5 minutes or so before Mackie?

If you are going to have a silly little strop, it's often worth trying to use something close to facts to support it?!

Josh missed a game through injury, got a dead leg v Pompey away, just saying.

Actually the Portsmouth game was the one he got the dead leg in and was substituted, he missed the following game which was Hayes and Yeading in the FA Cup from memory.

Even if we ignore the fact that Mackie is good at doing a bit of bulldozing and winding down the clock in the final few minutes, and assume that he's only coming on so that we can get him a game cheque.......

.......that's still something we shouldn't be getting angry about KR doing!

We should want to get a reputation as being a club that looks after its players. Rather than a club that's going to be stiffing its players out of a few thousand whenever it can (as we did under Kassam's watchful eye). That could make a difference when the summer comes round, and we're on the recruiting trail again.

As long as it's not detrimental to the team i.e. as long as KR's not bringing Mackie on when we're chasing a game and there's better options on the bench, then I'm perfectly happy to see a two minute Mackie cameo in every game from now until the end of the season.

Even if we ignore the fact that Mackie is good at doing a bit of bulldozing and winding down the clock in the final few minutes, and assume that he's only coming on so that we can get him a game cheque.......

.......that's still something we shouldn't be getting angry about KR doing!

We should want to get a reputation as being a club that looks after its players. Rather than a club that's going to be stiffing its players out of a few thousand whenever it can (as we did under Kassam's watchful eye). That could make a difference when the summer comes round, and we're on the recruiting trail again.

As long as it's not detrimental to the team i.e. as long as KR's not bringing Mackie on when we're chasing a game and there's better options on the bench, then I'm perfectly happy to see a two minute Mackie cameo in every game from now until the end of the season.
The voice of reason (in a very strange thresd)

The voice of reason (in a very strange thresd)

I think we are already a club with a reputation for looking after its players. I’m struggling to think of an instance under Robinson where a player has thrown his toys about. We seem to constantly have a united group.

Mackie shouldn't ever be brought on out of sentiment and I think we should protect our own pocket. I guess he must have an appearance fee of at least a grand upwards along with any basic retainer he might be on but we aren’t a club who can fritter away even the odd thousand however big time we are trying to be. We’d be absolutely correct to make a business decision from the bench when deploying Mackie. He could help himself more too by sticking it in the back of the net from time to time and take the decision away from the manager.

I don’t even think he’s that great at seeing the game out, he’s more likely to concede a foul and give the opposition the chance to punt it long in to our box. The best player I’ve seen in recent weeks at running the clock down is Agyei. He was fantastic at doing it against both Ipswich and Southend.

I think we are already a club with a reputation for looking after its players. I’m struggling to think of an instance under Robinson where a player has thrown his toys about. We seem to constantly have a united group.

Mackie shouldn't ever be brought on out of sentiment and I think we should protect our own pocket. I guess he must have an appearance fee of at least a grand upwards along with any basic retainer he might be on but we aren’t a club who can fritter away even the odd thousand however big time we are trying to be. We’d be absolutely correct to make a business decision from the bench when deploying Mackie. He could help himself more too by sticking it in the back of the net from time to time and take the decision away from the manager.

I don’t even think he’s that great at seeing the game out, he’s more likely to concede a foul and give the opposition the chance to punt it long in to our box. The best player I’ve seen in recent weeks at running the clock down is Agyei. He was fantastic at doing it against both Ipswich and Southend.
I am not sure it is about sentiment,?
I reckon that after 5 wins in a row it is possibly a good time to appreciate the management of games (I am not suggesting that things shouldn't be challenged. but wevate doing ok)

I am not sure it is about sentiment,?
I reckon that after 5 wins in a row it is possibly a good time to appreciate the management of games (I am not suggesting that things shouldn't be challenged. but wevate doing ok)

Exactly right.

Seeing out games is something we have struggled with in the past and has cost us points. This season, not only are we scoring late but we are also holding on to the points we have. Agyei was very good today, but I'm not so sure he offered that much in previous games. Mackie is excellent at chasing lost causes, battling for everything, and using gamesmanship to kill games. In the last 5 games he has made important contributions that certainly helped in 3 of the games where there was only a point in it.

If that has cost us £5k then who cares? And if we pay out another £9k for the rest of the season but get success, will anyone (beyond a tiny minority) begrudge Mackie getting a few quid?

Back
Top Bottom