General Mackie

I certainly agree about pundits, and the wider point about opinions. But at varying points in this season we've had a large number of posters questioning the selection of Mous, Sykes, Hall, Long, Mackie.

These posters, do you mean KR?...

Mous - not really in plans for this season.
Sykes - not used and was going to be sent out on loan.
Hall - sent out on loan
Long - looking for a new RB all January window.
Mackie - looking for a new striker all January window.

Whilst I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, one slight positive point in doing that which you’ve missed is that among some lower-league keepers who are uncomfortable with the ball at their feet, it stops them taking their time, looking up and delivering a measured ball into whoever they’re trying to kick it to - I have seen keepers hurry and rush their kicks when Mackie chases them down, which usually leads to it being a poorer, less dangerous kick and one more likely to be won by an Oxford player. It also gives the crowd a lift and raises the noise level a bit, which sometimes seems to galvanise the team as well. But yeah overall it’s a small point given that closing down the keeper is one of the only things he really offers at the moment.
Agree - I could close down the keeper almost as quickly and I absolutely should not be playing for Oxford United.

It was in response to the comment of "so come on KR start with a proper Centre Forward". And yes of course it was a flippant response, but we're not doing too badly for a team without a proper centre forward, second rate full backs etc, all depending on who is no longer the fans favourite.

Opinions are all valid, and mine is that football is now a squad game with people playing different roles within that squad. Not all are as obvious as others, but collectively all play a part in our success or otherwise. You can put a pinch of salt into a chocolate cake to bring out the other flavours, and Mackie brings others into the game in the very selfless role KR is asking him to play. Rather than focusing on the salt, focus on the chocolate cake and see that we're bloody tasty!!

KR is no fool. He knows Mackie's limitations but still selects him so I think we respect that and put our faith in everyone that plays rather than trying to create heroes and villains.

Bit harsh to say we have 2nd rate full backs but agree they are limited going forward. We just need cover there.
We have the most clean sheets across all 4 leagues I believe.

Bit harsh to say we have 2nd rate full backs but agree they are limited going forward. We just need cover there.
We have the most clean sheets across all 4 leagues I believe.
I'm not saying that, but others have and it is the labelling as either amazing or awful is ridiculous in my view.

No pace? He is still pretty quick and never stops running.

Zero goal threat? Took a great save to stop him scoring last night, and against Man City too (both PL defences).

Holds up play? That's his role, it brings our midfield into the game.

Is consistently selected by a manager and coaching team who know far more than most on here.

That just about offers balance?!

[emoji1787] deluded

It was in response to the comment of "so come on KR start with a proper Centre Forward". And yes of course it was a flippant response, but we're not doing too badly for a team without a proper centre forward, second rate full backs etc, all depending on who is no longer the fans favourite.

Opinions are all valid, and mine is that football is now a squad game with people playing different roles within that squad. Not all are as obvious as others, but collectively all play a part in our success or otherwise. You can put a pinch of salt into a chocolate cake to bring out the other flavours, and Mackie brings others into the game in the very selfless role KR is asking him to play. Rather than focusing on the salt, focus on the chocolate cake and see that we're bloody tasty!!

KR is no fool. He knows Mackie's limitations but still selects him so I think we respect that and put our faith in everyone that plays rather than trying to create heroes and villains.

I think it’s quite clear that KR has the exact same opinion as us fans about Mackie. Indeed he is no fool.
The problem is the club failed to sign a striker, which KR definitely wanted and I’m sure his rant at the directors box and subsequent 1-2-1 with one of the directors was mainly about.

But if i think about it what else does he do now:
Play Browne out of position, which to be fair was good. But then you loose out in another area.
Play Agyei but then he’s young and throwing him out there for him to fail wouldn’t be good for the player. He hasn’t exactly set the would of fire in his cameos. Having said that he’s looked better and better every time I’ve seen him so maybe he’s ready?
Play Taylor when he’s injured and risk losing him for the rest of the season... er no!
Or play Mackie knowing what you’re going to get.

The main thing that annoys me about a Mackie is, he keeps giving away unnecessary fouls deep in the opponents half e.g. against Newcastle away their defender is on the by-line with his back to play and nowhere to go and Mackie jumps in giving away a free-kick.

He’s been in the game long enough to know better.

Cannot fault his effort and desire, but kind others have said he so not a regular goal scorer.

Oh, there is one other thing, he never attempts to win the header. All he seems he’ll bent on is wrestling/holding off the player, but when he’s won that duel he never goes for the ball!!

Good servant though.

Agyei deserves a chance. Most people I’ve spoken to who watched the game on tv said Mackie’s Legs have gone, oh and who was that striker you brought on, he had pace, strength etc and frightened the Newcastle defence. He was more of a threat.

It’s quite simple really.

Taylor clearly has some sort of issue that needs managing, so can’t start every game, and Agyei has needed to be slowly introduced to senior football, and is now finally starting to show signs he could step up and be a first choice striker.

But in the meantime, Mackie has had to be used more often than any of us, and probably Robbo himself, would’ve liked. That’s just the way it is.

I’m sure Taylor will be first choice if he’s fully match fit, and Agyei will start getting more chances, and Mackie will be used as a sub, to unsettle defences during the last 15-20mins of games, but in the meantime the guys doing the best he can with an ageing body.

Give the guy a break!

Can you stop with anything approaching reality please? ?
KR is working with what is available to him and considering all sorts of "stuff" that we don`t see or know about.
That is what managers do!
I`m sure anyone around here who manages a group of people knows you have to balance a teams dynamic to get the most out of the group, even if that means having someone in that group who isn`t 100% at job "X", but has the ability to be the glue that binds the team.

We have several options to rotate, depending on who is fit, as we have seen recently. Browne up front last week worked very well with Henry and Sykes on the right side of midfield. Agyei can also play wide right. And of course Browne can play wide right if Taylor/Mackie start up top. It almost comes back to this false number 9 again which I kind of like, it almost doesn't matter who plays that role as the players around them are quality enough to cause most teams problems.

Blimey, just caught up on this thread and quite surprised by it. Isn't it clear that Mackie is in this team as an enabler of others for specific periods of each game? Goal and assist stats really not relevant. FWIW I think KR does play safe and pick him too often and I do share the frustration about his tendency to give away daft fouls etc. but the ott negativity isn't aligned with our results when he plays. Rather than waffle on though I'd suggest watching some highlights from this season and noting how many times it's Mackie blocking a defender's run, distracting a goalkeeper or generally making a nuisance of himself that has opened the space for our s**t hot midfield. My favourite is our second against Rochdale at home. Fosu on the score sheet but this is Mackie's goal....

Play Agyei but then he’s young and throwing him out there for him to fail wouldn’t be good for the player. He hasn’t exactly set the would of fire in his cameos. Having said that he’s looked better and better every time I’ve seen him so maybe he’s ready?
Agyei had already played 50-odd L1 games across three loan spells (Walsall, Coventry and Blackpool) before he came here. At 22 he’s older than Brannagan and Dickie were when they arrived and started playing regularly here, in this same division, and they both had less games and far less EFL experience when they signed. Brannagan had a brief loan spell at Fleetwood where he was mostly on the bench and made around a dozen appearances all in, and Dickie spent a season in the Conference with Cheltenham. Dickie had also been on loan at Lincoln in L2 before he joined us in January but he’d lost his place in their starting lineup for a month or so by that point. Agyei also came from a Premier League club where he’d made several sub appearances and been in the match day squad multiple times more, and their fans were largely shocked that he didn’t sign a new deal in the summer.

This narrative that Agyei is some sort of untested child who needs to build up to this division is utter, utter nonsense. Just look at the facts of everything above. He’s played more games in League One and is more than a year older than Shandon Baptiste, for crying out loud. He’s more than six months older than Mark Sykes, with more than double the L1 appearances under his belt, and has been a full time footballer for nearly five years rather than Sykes’ 12 months.

I’m not saying Agyei is the messiah any more than I’m saying he definitely isn’t, but this yarn that seems to have been spun about him being some sort of total novice is factually untrue. Quite why that’s coming out of the club when it’s factually inaccurate is beyond me. It’s disingenuous.

Back
Top Bottom