General Mackie

Are people really saying Mackie did f**k all tonight?

SERIOUSLY?!

He ran his socks off, held up the ball and had that cracking shot in the first half that forced the keeper to make a fantastic save!

It's the Matt Murphy scenario again.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Are people really saying Mackie did f**k all tonight?

SERIOUSLY?!

He ran his socks off, held up the ball and had that cracking shot in the first half that forced the keeper to make a fantastic save!
You can say his efforts, along with Browne tired out their back 3 and helped the subs come on get the benefit of that work.

Obviously you can't knock Mackie's passion or work rate, he runs his socks off and harasses defenders etc. Is that enough though? I love his attitude and sh*thousery but even now I'm beginning to run out of attacking attributes he possesses. He's not too bad at holding the ball up, although no better than Taylor is.

He's extremely limited in what he offers these days, and he's slowing down game by game. It's disappointing to have to admit but he really should be 4th choice behind Taylor, Browne and Agyei now, who all offer more upfront.

It's not a case of bashing a player, I'm sure we'll all support him and sing his name when he's playing for us, but away from that I think most can see he shouldn't be near our starting lineup if everyones fit.

Now watch him score a hattrick Saturday!

He ran his socks off, held up the ball and had that cracking shot in the first half that forced the keeper to make a fantastic save
He ran his socks off but never at a fast enough pace to pose any threat.
I've watched it through this morning and at no point did he "hold up the ball" or create a chance for anyone.
His shot on target drew a decent save because it was close range, but it was at a nice height for the keeper.
He's got good qualities that need utilising as part of the training and management team, but he's just not up to it on the pitch now.

The Mackie bashing has become tedious. Last night he actually had a decent game and looked more like scoring than Matt Taylor did when he came on. And all of this was at a time when Newcastle had almost complete control of the game. He's never going to be a 20 goal a season striker, nor is he going to be taking it past players. But he is effective in what he does which is to hassle the back 4 into moving the ball early which brings our midfield into the game. Last night he did that well, much better than in recent games where he hasn't been very effective.

We have 18 odd games to go and we will have to shuffle players around, but every one of our squad deserves our support and if we play the way we did last night then promotion is a real possibility.
Sorry mate, no. He is useless.

I thought he made a really good contribution last night. But - it is getting to the point where we need him to do more as a player that he is currently, rather than just being on the pitch to be a pain in the a**e.

It wasn't meant as a character assassination of Beano. I was comparing like-for-like styles of play. It's hard to argue that Constable made a career from zig-zagging runs and overhead kicks. He was a power player, who bundled teams around and struck powerful shots. If he hadn't gone before MApp arrived, he would have been moved on like Ryan Clarke was as technically he was nowhere near the level that MApp was looking for. Seeing as MApp wasn't exactly the apple(ton) of the fans' eyes in that first season, it's probably wise Beano jumped ship when he did.

The same applies to Mackie. Every other player last night possessed some technical quality that Mackie lacked. It means we at times carry a player who takes that extra touch to bring it down, gives away senseless fouls and isn't at all potent in front of goal. What he does add though, is a pain-in-the-backside attitude that is best used infrequently rather than from the outset that KR seems intent on using him for.

It's hard to argue against this but you do wonder exactly how Mackie managed a career at a higher level!

I thought we were far more of a threat when we had Taylor and Agyei on. Taylor has a bit more finesse and pace than Mackie while Agyei offers something different. His direct running at the Newcastle defence resulted in the free kick that Kelly scored from. So for me, Mackie should now be on the bench as an option.

Personally, I'm going to trust KR on this one. He's not made many mis-steps this season (apart from Rotherham - which he admitted).

He clearly sees something in Mackie that he can trust and I would guess he has a legitimate reason for limiting Agyei's game time.

He also stopped a goal going in for us, we should have been 3-2 up after 90 minutes.:mad:

Are you thinking of the Holland effort in the 1st half? If so, It looked like it was going wide on TV and live when view ing from behind the goal.

Are you thinking of the Holland effort in the 1st half? If so, It looked like it was going wide on TV and live when view ing from behind the goal.
The one that I saw Mackie was in the centre of the goal and he got his knee in the way. No way was that going wide.

The thing that annoys me about the whole Mackie/Agyei situation is that if Mackie starts the next game, does nothing much for about 60-70 mins and then is subbed (but we end up winning the game) no-one will say anything really, maybe a few moans on here, but that’s it. Whereas if Dan Agyei starts the next game, does exactly the same things, plays exactly as poorly - no better no worse - I can guarantee that both Robinson will say something in the media along the lines of ‘see that’s why he doesn’t start, he has a lot to learn’ etc, and also people on here will be saying ah yeah Robinson was right, that’s why he’s not been playing, etc etc. Just seems unfair that Agyei has to do good things every second he gets on the pitch or he’s written off, while Mackie can get by on game after game not doing much and still be in the team. Seem to be held to a different standard.

The thing that annoys me about the whole Mackie/Agyei situation is that if Mackie starts the next game, does nothing much for about 60-70 mins and then is subbed (but we end up winning the game) no-one will say anything really, maybe a few moans on here, but that’s it. Whereas if Dan Agyei starts the next game, does exactly the same things, plays exactly as poorly - no better no worse - I can guarantee that both Robinson will say something in the media along the lines of ‘see that’s why he doesn’t start, he has a lot to learn’ etc, and also people on here will be saying ah yeah Robinson was right, that’s why he’s not been playing, etc etc. Just seems unfair that Agyei has to do good things every second he gets on the pitch or he’s written off, while Mackie can get by on game after game not doing much and still be in the team. Seem to be held to a different standard.

Agyei and Atkinson have been brought in with a view to the future. Why do Oxford employ coaching staff if fans know better? Agyei did brilliantly last night, perhaps because of the coaching and support he has received in his time at the club? Let the people who are working with him make the decisions.

Spot on

Back
Top Bottom