General Mackie

Is Hanson a genuine mistake as well!?
As far as Mackie goes, we need another striker who can actually get on the end of things. I don't see a reason to give Mackie another contract. Upsetting the opposition is just not enough.

Whilst I have been defending Mackie somewhat, I agree his contract shouldn't be renewed for next season.

Is Hanson a genuine mistake as well!?
As far as Mackie goes, we need another striker who can actually get on the end of things. I don't see a reason to give Mackie another contract. Upsetting the opposition is just not enough.

We all know Hanson was an expensive mistake but as this season’s recruitment gone there’s been very little mistake made thankfully, Wouldn’t surprise me if he had 1 more season in him at 35 next summer but not for us - maybe Exeter where he started

We all know Hanson was an expensive mistake but as this season’s recruitment gone there’s been very little mistake made thankfully, Wouldn’t surprise me if he had 1 more season in him at 35 next summer but not for us - maybe Exeter where he started

Wherever he ends up, I hope he doesn’t play against us. Imagine how much he’d want to wind us up (and he’d blatantly score a hat-trick of 30-yarders!)

• Haha
Reactions: Ian
If we do get to the championship for next season, and that allows for a bigger coaching budget - hell most championship and Prem teams seem to have about 50 people milling about in tracksuits in the dugout areas! - Id love to see Mackie offered a coaching role.

If we do get to the championship for next season, and that allows for a bigger coaching budget - hell most championship and Prem teams seem to have about 50 people milling about in tracksuits in the dugout areas! - Id love to see Mackie offered a coaching role.
I'm not so sure. I think there's a big difference between being a mentor to younger players, as a senior player in the squad, and being a coach. Look at Mous; when he's not starting, he's up alongside KR on the touchline, clearly keen on learning the game and the ins and outs of coaching and management. You don't see Mackie doing that.

Of course I'm probably totally talking out my a**e here, I have as little idea about what goes on behind the scenes as the next man. But he seems more the type of character to teach young players the realities of playing men's football than one who is going to improve the technical and tactical sides of their game.

I’m amazed we haven’t tried a 442 giving Mackie a chance alongside a poacher like Taylor

I’m amazed we haven’t tried a 442 giving Mackie a chance alongside a poacher like Taylor
We’ve got
Browne and when fit Henry who would play the mo 10 role better. A few years ago I would have agreed with you Mackie could do a good no 10 job but not
now

• Haha
Reactions: Ian
Agyei offered so much more in attack when he came on today. He was strong and held the ball, but he also spun defenders and ran in behind. You felt he could always break the line and the ball over the top was always in the back of their minds, and that sort of thing changes the way teams have to think. There was some sort of threat and some obvious way in which he was contributing, which Mackie just doesn’t have anymore.

It isn‘t that people don’t like Mackie, I think most are fond of a good wind-up merchant, but I think more and more people are starting to realise that he’s beginning to really hold us back. Or rather, his inclusion is. He must start moving down the pecking order - Agyei might be raw but he can’t constantly be behind Mackie, and he certainly shouldn’t be going out on loan unless another forward comes in. If we only have three strikers, Agyei needs to stay and Mackie needs to be much more of a third choice.

No vendetta, no scapegoating, not saying he will never do another thing of use ever again - simply saying that for where we want to go he can’t be the answer. A top man and a top pro he may well be, and in a dressing room I can absolutely see the benefit of a person like him being around, but we need better on the pitch. That’s all it is.

Agyei offered so much more in attack when he came on today. He was strong and held the ball, but he also spun defenders and ran in behind. You felt he could always break the line and the ball over the top was always in the back of their minds, and that sort of thing changes the way teams have to think. There was some sort of threat and some obvious way in which he was contributing, which Mackie just doesn’t have anymore.

It isn‘t that people don’t like Mackie, I think most are fond of a good wind-up merchant, but I think more and more people are starting to realise that he’s beginning to really hold us back. Or rather, his inclusion is. He must start moving down the pecking order - Agyei might be raw but he can’t constantly be behind Mackie, and he certainly shouldn’t be going out on loan unless another forward comes in. If we only have three strikers, Agyei needs to stay and Mackie needs to be much more of a third choice.

No vendetta, no scapegoating, not saying he will never do another thing of use ever again - simply saying that for where we want to go he can’t be the answer. A top man and a top pro he may well be, and in a dressing room I can absolutely see the benefit of a person like him being around, but we need better on the pitch. That’s all it is.

Would you pay good money in wages for someone to be a good pro around the dressing room? Giving him a two year contract was a mistake, so is still playing him as his legs have gone and he can’t keep up with play anymore. Can’t disagree with anything you say, it’s time to let Agyei have a go as we are carrying Mackie, Robinson needs to accept that it’s time to move on as after Newcastle we have 8 league games in 29 days, can’t go into those games with a player who has essentially become a novelty act up front.

Wherever he ends up, I hope he doesn’t play against us. Imagine how much he’d want to wind us up (and he’d blatantly score a hat-trick of 30-yarders!)

He won’t be in this league next season, I reckon he will drop down to the national league, I reckon he will end up at Woking or Aldershot as it’s not far to travel.

Would you pay good money in wages for someone to be a good pro around the dressing room? Giving him a two year contract was a mistake, so is still playing him as his legs have gone and he can’t keep up with play anymore. Can’t disagree with anything you say, it’s time to let Agyei have a go as we are carrying Mackie, Robinson needs to accept that it’s time to move on as after Newcastle we have 8 league games in 29 days, can’t go into those games with a player who has essentially become a novelty act up front.

Perhaps the bigger question is why we have agreed to re-arrange/play 8 games in 29 days and then 4 in the next 31 - pure madness especially if we are having to carry Mackie as our supposed first choice striker

Perhaps the bigger question is why we have agreed to re-arrange/play 8 games in 29 days and then 4 in the next 31 - pure madness especially if we are having to carry Mackie as our supposed first choice striker
I don't think we have any choice to be honest!!

Taylor for whatever reason doesn't seem able to play two games in a row, fatigue and the odd injury presumably being the issue. Mackie isn't good enough and Agyei could be good in the future but is still raw.

In the past 9 league games, we have scored 6 goals, one of which was an OG. We patently need another proven striker if we are to challenge for promotion from a strong position that we currently enjoy. So to quote Karl it's time for the Board to show we can act like a big club as well as talk like a big club.

Big test in the next fortnight for the Board.

While there's only so much you can pick up from watching on iplayer, Mackie was just hopeless. Agyei has plenty of rough edges, but he has pace, and did more in ten minutes than Mackie had done all game. Even on iplayer it was obvious that Mackie was spending lots of his time winding up Evans. Which was/is always amusing, but does nothing to help us win games. His actual footballing contribution yesterday was close to zero. Until yesterday, I thought Mackie was good for the last 15-20 minutes. But actually, all he does is hold us up, as he is so slow. I don't know whether he's always done it, but his habit of constantly going to ground, pretending he has been fouled, just breaks up play and disrupts any rhythm. Entirely agree, he'll be at Woking / Aldershot next season. I'm sure he's popular etc in the dressing room, but if we're judging him by his on pitch contribution, he needs to go now.

Once or twice a year I go and have a look at the Wimbledon forum after we've played them. Every time, I am taken straight back about 20 years to what the internet used to be like. Amazing that they haven't updated it!
That's exactly what I think when I look at it ?

There is the issue though of Robinson’s view of Mackie being clouded. Mackie’s influence on him and the club in general appears from the outside to be substantial. He and Mous are almost like his Lieutenants in the squad. I cant see Robinson kicking him to the kerb anytime soon. I think he’ll continue to be a regular starter for the remainder of the season whether a new striker is brought in or not, especially as, more than likely, any new striker is most likely to be a loan from a prem U23 squad, similar to Sinclair last season.

There is the issue though of Robinson’s view of Mackie being clouded. Mackie’s influence on him and the club in general appears from the outside to be substantial. He and Mous are almost like his Lieutenants in the squad. I cant see Robinson kicking him to the kerb anytime soon. I think he’ll continue to be a regular starter for the remainder of the season whether a new striker is brought in or not, especially as, more than likely, any new striker is most likely to be a loan from a prem U23 squad, similar to Sinclair last season.
If that were the case you’d have to wonder what the point would be in sending Agyei out - that’s his background.

In the summer when we were first linked with Agyei I posted that my Burnley supporting mate was gutted about the potential move, as their fans wanted to see him involved in the first team way more and even starting games. I’m surprised that the difference between their opinion and our opinion seems to be so vast. Especially since he had three separate loan spells in this division before signing. He’s hardly some absolute novice who doesn’t know a thing about men’s third tier football.

Madness all them Tuesday games available in March we could of gone for we've gone all out in February to play every Tuesday bar 1 but that’s a possible replay aswell so could be 9
Taylor for whatever reason doesn't seem able to play two games in a row, fatigue and the odd injury presumably being the issue. Mackie isn't good enough and Agyei could be good in the future but is still raw.

In the past 9 league games, we have scored 6 goals, one of which was an OG. We patently need another proven striker if we are to challenge for promotion from a strong position that we currently enjoy. So to quote Karl it's time for the Board to show we can act like a big club as well as talk like a big club.

Big test in the next fortnight for the Board.

For me losing 4 key players in the starting 11 has been the main issue in 2020 so far Brannagan - Henry - Taylor - Cadden now gone plus the fact a few players such as Fosu - Baptiste along with possibly Ruffels - Dickie looks to have lost the form they were in before Christmas

What unusual in this bad form we are currently in we’re not been conceding a sh:t load of goals (apart from 45 awful performance against Rotherham) it’s just simply not scoring enough from the chances we create

Dan Ayegi needs to start against Newcastle purely on his pace along with Browne & Holland on the wings just to go at them from the start

Thankfully KR knows he still needs another striker going off his interviews yesterday

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom