General Mackie

Can someone explain to me what Taylor"s fitness issue actually is?

He's not that old and he played regularly for Rovers, and he must be match fit.... So what's the underlying issue?

He had a groin issue at Christmas, hence not starting two games in a row, so not sure if it’s the same injury.

Agyei looked decent yesterday

He’s always looked dangerous when he’s played, but I think his weakness is, he’s very raw and switches off, so great when we’ve got the ball, and not do great when we don’t.

He just doesn’t seem to read the game that well, but his pace and strength will always be a threat.

When you compare him to Taylor you can see the difference.

If Agyei can develop that part of his game then he should go on to be a very good striker. I guess the only way we’ll find out is giving him game time e.g. last 15-25 mins. Put it this way, I’d put him ahead of Hall.

He's not that old and he played regularly for Rovers, and he must be match fit.... So what's the underlying issue?

Could it be that playing as a loan striker does take more out of you.

If he played in a front two at Rovers and he was looking to play off another striker and not chase around closing down he could of played every game.

I know these players are really fit and if we played every seven days there wouldn’t be a problem.

When is KR on the next 5 minute forum I think this would be a sensible question to ask

Is there an underlying issue or is it that the loan striker role is extremely demanding?

Thing is though we only have Taylor and a blanks firing Mackie so should be getting plenty of game time....would much prefer Agyei than a young loanee from premiership
I think what they are looking at Agyei is him playing longer than the odd 20 mins here and there in the first team, something he likely won't get here for the season. It seems a bit counter intuitive to do that, but that is the thinking.

Since moving to Bristol city Taylor has hardly played any meaningful minutes. He pretty much exclusively features on the bench. That’s 2/3 seasons of limited football when in his peak.

Taylor will be 30 in March, he is now on the downwards curve and health needs to be managed. I’m sure plenty will say that he should be able to crank out several 90s back to back but when your other striker option is 30+ also then you have to preserve what you have...as we are now seeing.

FWIW I would be hesitant giving Taylor a permanent contract in the summer. Maybe as a rotation option (if the money is right!) but it’s clear he can’t consistently lead the line.

I think what they are looking at Agyei is him playing longer than the odd 20 mins here and there in the first team, something he likely won't get here for the season. It seems a bit counter intuitive to do that, but that is the thinking.
But why not play Agyei for longer ? He is 22 , played for Cov, Walsall and Blackpool in league1 (43 apps 8 goals) and was deemed good enough to come on in the premier league 3 times for Burnley! We have a struggling for fitness Taylor and a struggling for goals/age Mackie....not the biggest obstacles in his way. I'm not understanding why he would go somewhere else when we need someone.

Could it be that playing as a loan striker does take more out of you.

If he played in a front two at Rovers and he was looking to play off another striker and not chase around closing down he could of played every game.

I know these players are really fit and if we played every seven days there wouldn’t be a problem.

When is KR on the next 5 minute forum I think this would be a sensible question to ask

Is there an underlying issue or is it that the loan striker role is extremely demanding?
“Lone” rather than “loan”?

• React
Reactions: MJB
If a player has to go to make room for a .striker it has to be Makie, The one thing he does not do is score goal's. We would probably be better off with John Obika, dread the thought.?

If a player has to go to make room for a .striker it has to be Makie, The one thing he does not do is score goal's. We would probably be better off with John Obika, dread the thought.?
He’s spelled with a c, Mackie. I’ve never seen the word ‘Makie’.

Had it on my mind that Holland came on for West Ham at Gillingham i stand corrected

But why not play Agyei for longer ? He is 22 , played for Cov, Walsall and Blackpool in league1 (43 apps 8 goals) and was deemed good enough to come on in the premier league 3 times for Burnley! We have a struggling for fitness Taylor and a struggling for goals/age Mackie....not the biggest obstacles in his way. I'm not understanding why he would go somewhere else when we need someone.
I can only surmise that they feel the longer term for Agyei is better served playing week in, week out that being 3rd in the pecking order at OUFC, getting some minutes occasionally and playing friendlies.

Being not that old has nothing to do with it.
Taylor clearly has an injury which allows him to play the game a week.
Man U are being criticised for playing Rashford too much. He has a double stress fracture of the back and it sounds like Man U have overplayed him.
It sounds like Oxford are trying to not overplayTaylor .
The Cup runs are hampering the team (cancelling league games for the FA Cup - that is 3 that now have to he fitted in), plus the earlier cup games have meant that a lot of the players have played a lot of games

Not overplaying Taylor is fine, but means we definitely need better than Mackie if a ‘second’ striker going to need to play as often as he will. Also, if another forward arrives they need to have some sort of experience. We’ve already got a PL U23 forward on the books, only he actually belongs to us rather than being on loan, and has nearly 50 appearances at L1 level under his belt with us, Blackpool, Walsall and Coventry. If a less experienced forward is brought in on loan to punt Agyei out, it would be tricky to even call it a sideways step on paper.

Let’s see what the next ten days or so brings. Our next league game isn’t until after the window closes and we’ve got a cracking tie at Newcastle to look forward to in the meantime. If that involves Jamie Mackie banging about, that’s how it is.

I can only surmise that they feel the longer term for Agyei is better served playing week in, week out that being 3rd in the pecking order at OUFC, getting some minutes occasionally and playing friendlies.
Then he should be moved up the pecking order. But he won’t be; KR seems to have a mental block in that respect.

Then he should be moved up the pecking order. But he won’t be; KR seems to have a mental block in that respect.
Of course, we don't know how he has performed in training, etc, etc. From my perspective, I'm happy for him to stay to fight for his place in the team, but if playing good minutes weekly will help his career next season for us, then perhaps that is the way to go?

From what little I have seen of Agyei this season, it’s difficult to assess.
Ten - twenty minute cameo appearances off the bench and abomination cup games has pretty much been it as far as I can see.
I saw him at Hayes and Yeading and thought that he looked tall, quick and athletic, but we have had our share of players who look right but can’t stir a pot of P**s (Jon Obika, George Waring Van kettle).
FWIW, he hasn’t really had a proper run in the team and if he is to continue on for the rest of this season as a bit part player, perhaps he will be better served by a loan where he can get the meaningful experience that only regular competitive football can provide.

From what little I have seen of Agyei this season, it’s difficult to assess.
Ten - twenty minute cameo appearances off the bench and abomination cup games has pretty much been it as far as I can see.
I saw him at Hayes and Yeading and thought that he looked tall, quick and athletic, but we have had our share of players who look right but can’t stir a pot of P**s (Jon Obika, George Waring Van kettle).
FWIW, he hasn’t really had a proper run in the team and if he is to continue on for the rest of this season as a bit part player, perhaps he will be better served by a loan where he can get the meaningful experience that only regular competitive football can provide.

Van Kettle certainly blew hot and cold. Actually, just cold, Pompey aside.

Don’t really want to see him start another game to be honest. He’s looking more and more finished every week. I’d only bring him on in games we are winning & we’re trying to see the game out. Great servant but shouldn’t be offered a new deal.

Back
Top Bottom