General Mackie

Rotherham have bounced between the Championship and League 1 for the last few years so have had the opportunity to build and invest in their squad for a few years. After the Pep experience, we have had to rebuild as a mid-lower table league 1 side. It's therefore a little unfair to compare our strikers the theirs.

However, this is about Mackie and I stand by the opinion that he offers something. Yesterday, Rotherham put 3 players forward for our goal kicks, forcing Eastwood to kick long. Mackie often does this himself. He chases across the backline and slows the delivery out of defence. This allows 9 of our players to set up ready to win the ball and immediately regain control of the game. He also rushes defenders into playing the ball quickly which allows the midfield to press and brings others into the game. And on top of this he also offers experience and leadership in a generally very young and very quiet team.

But he also has many faults. His goal scoring record is poor and he often snatches at chances, equally he doesn't directly assist goals. These are two massive expectations and we do need better options to support Taylor. The other issue is his discipline as he can often give away fouls when we're in decent positions.

The thing with Mackie playing is having others who can play in the space he creates and get our goals. Yesterday, without Henry and with Brannagan, Baptiste and Fosu offering little first half, we had no real goal threat.

Mackie is limited and I suspect he will play fewer games in the second half of the season. But you only have to go back a few weeks to Man City when we looked a different team when he came on.

I can understand that it was more of an example what’s needed for us to get that level we’re never going to have 3/4 good choices like them at this stage but we need another striking opinion now tho, finally this summer we went all out to get Taylor after struggling to put chances away at Blackpool but since then he’s still not 1st choice both JM & MT are instead as KR somehow loves to rotate them every other game which I think is stupid Matty Taylor should be play week in week out like he was at Bristol Rovers scoring all the time

(can’t criticise to much on your comments about Mackie as I can see you’ve made fair points on him (for & against him)

I can understand that it was more of an example what’s needed for us to get that level we’re never going to have 3/4 good choices like them at this stage but we need another striking opinion now tho, finally this summer we went all out to get Taylor after struggling to put chances away at Blackpool but since then he’s still not 1st choice both JM & MT are instead as KR somehow loves to rotate them every other game which I think is stupid Matty Taylor should be play week in week out like he was at Bristol Rovers scoring all the time

(can’t criticise to much on your comments about Mackie as I can see you’ve made fair points on him (for & against him)

I agree that Taylor should be starting, but his form has been a little off lately. Maybe playing him more regularly will help get his goal scoring touch back. But I agree and expect that it's more likely now that we'll seriously look at another striker, but not sure we'll get someone immediately ready to start.

We’re just a better team with Taylor playing. The stats say so and it also plainly obvious to anyone who watches. Nothing against Mackie, but KR got it wrong and Taylor should start every game over Mackie (fitness dependant).

I agree that Taylor should be starting, but his form has been a little off lately. Maybe playing him more regularly will help get his goal scoring touch back. But I agree and expect that it's more likely now that we'll seriously look at another striker, but not sure we'll get someone immediately ready to start.

Just a different option to what we have now I think a big target man with line up play that would offer something different to Taylor & Mackie would be ideal for us

Just a different option to what we have now I think a big target man with line up play that would offer something different to Taylor & Mackie would be ideal for us

Sorry to go all 'Scotch Egg' on this thread but someone who I trust said yesterday that our sports science department reckon Taylor isn't physically up to the rigour of playing full games. I think we will still see a new forward coming in with Agyei out on loan.

If Taylor can't start regularly and Agyei isn't considered up to it, then a new forward is a big priority. I'd still be tempted to start with Taylor though, even if Mackie came on later - I'd rather be in the position of defending a lead than trying to catch up!

Edit. And if he isn't actually injured, then forget all idea of signing him up for another 2-3 years. We can't have a main striker (or any player really) who can't actually play 90 minutes.

Last edited:
Sorry to go all 'Scotch Egg' on this thread but someone who I trust said yesterday that our sports science department reckon Taylor isn't physically up to the rigour of playing full games. I think we will still see a new forward coming in with Agyei out on loan.
Didn't Taylor start most games when he was at Rovers? Over 110 starts in 2 and a half seasons.

I wonder what (if anything) is different now.

Last edited:
Unfortunately some are still living in the past (still tugging away at Mackie’s goal against Bradford) yes there is moments where he does have an affect on games but not enough when we’ve needed it imo, as i mention on the January thread we need another striker in KR can’t trust Dan Agyei to do & I think that’s embarrassing not having him on the bench ahead of Hall who’s can’t cut it at this level any more, that just leaves us with Taylor who’s not even 1st choice ?

Rotherham proved what decent forward’s you need at this level, Smith (target man & line up play) Vassell (pacy & goal threat) Ladapo (target pacy goalscorer) & they can also call back Yates whenever they want so that’s 4 decent choices in strikers compared to our only decent striker in Taylor (don’t mention about all the attacking forwards we’ve got I’m on about out & out decent number 9’s)

Bang on target. We don't have the depth of centre forwards that promotion winning teams normally have, Taylor, a loanee currently. Agyei isn't trusted to start atm, Mackie is no goal threat and I cannot see starting another game currently.

Whilst the business done so far is good, a centre forward/striker whatever you want to call them is what is desperately needed. And please no more loans. A foil to Taylor, a different kind of striker similar to Rotherham's tall guy.

“Form has been a little off recently”?!?! Hasn’t been given much of a chance to show what he can do, has he? He does more in ten minutes on the pitch than Mackie manages in an hour (refer to Saturday as an example).

“Form has been a little off recently”?!?! Hasn’t been given much of a chance to show what he can do, has he? He does more in ten minutes on the pitch than Mackie manages in an hour (refer to Saturday as an example).
Taylor has not been in the greatest form for a little while now regardless of what Mackie does. That is why I said that a run of games may be good for him. Is that wrong?

Taylor has not been in the greatest form for a little while now regardless of what Mackie does. That is why I said that a run of games may be good for him. Is that wrong?
It puzzles me, and I’m clearly not the only one, why Mackie is given so much time on the pitch compared to a proven goal scorer who CAN ALSO cause defenders problems, lay the ball off effectively and win headers, all of which JM seems incapable of doing. OK Mackie has proved himself in the past, but so has Jimmy Greaves, and nobody’s suggesting we sign him as a goal scorer. You miss the point by saying “regardless of what Mackie does” - he does very little; Taylor does an awful lot more.

It puzzles me, and I’m clearly not the only one, why Mackie is given so much time on the pitch compared to a proven goal scorer who CAN ALSO cause defenders problems, lay the ball off effectively and win headers, all of which JM seems incapable of doing. OK Mackie has proved himself in the past, but so has Jimmy Greaves, and nobody’s suggesting we sign him as a goal scorer. You miss the point by saying “regardless of what Mackie does” - he does very little; Taylor does an awful lot more.
Which is all fine and has been done to death. The point I made was that Taylor has been a little out of form which you questioned.

It only to illustrate that maybe for all our possession, we're not carving out too many great chances, or that we need to bring in another striker, or give Taylor more games or something else.

It's not just as simple as dumping Mackie and putting all our hopes on Taylor.

taylor has more goals scored and assists since he signed than Mackie his whole oxford career surely so bang in form i'd say

Unfortunately some are still living in the past (still tugging away at Mackie’s goal against Bradford) yes there is moments where he does have an affect on games but not enough when we’ve needed it imo, as i mention on the January thread we need another striker in KR can’t trust Dan Agyei to do & I think that’s embarrassing not having him on the bench ahead of Hall who’s can’t cut it at this level any more, that just leaves us with Taylor who’s not even 1st choice ?

Yeah, it's bewildering, we've got a jag and a maserati in the garage but we only ever use a volvo estate or a clapped-out rover 25. What is it, fitting to a system? It's mad.

Don’t want to bring too much logic into this but KR is having to juggle two strikers.

We have 3 matches in 7 days. Is Taylor going to play 90 in each of those matches?

Mackie didn’t seem to be an issue over Christmas when we were picking up points and KR was rotating him and Taylor in the same way

Rotherham have bounced between the Championship and League 1 for the last few years so have had the opportunity to build and invest in their squad for a few years. After the Pep experience, we have had to rebuild as a mid-lower table league 1 side. It's therefore a little unfair to compare our strikers the theirs.

Holy Fucking Chr1st! They're in the same league with us, they're the target we have to aim to beat.

On a positive note, our strikers are all easily as good as Gateshead's, or Dover's.

Don’t want to bring too much logic into this but KR is having to juggle two strikers.

We have 3 matches in 7 days. Is Taylor going to play 90 in each of those matches?

Mackie didn’t seem to be an issue over Christmas when we were picking up points and KR was rotating him and Taylor in the same way

always been a problem for me sorry never rated him, just kicked off Saturday and he is rolling around/time wasting committing stupid fouls in a game we need to win he hardly had a touch of the ball when he did it was poor! if he concentrated on football it might be a different story but I very much doubt it.

Three important games in 7 days, yes, why shouldn't he be able to play 90 minutes in all 3 ?

If Liverpool had Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd in 7 days they'd play there famed front three in all three. City would play Sterling in similar circumstances and Rashford would do similar with Man Utd.

We're Oxford United, we aren't in the Champion League. The lower league football world has gone soft if a striker can't manage Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom