Mackie...

Ricey

Scored one, assisted another!!

He deserves some credit! I wasn’t there today but every time I have seen him he has looked miles off being any use... Hopefully he is now fit and can start turning out performances like today on a regular basis...

COYY

Everybody I have spoken to from clubs where he has played (QPR, Plymouth and Forest) all are full of praise for him.
The worry was that his legs may have gone but it looks like he is getting fitter and as others have said he looked a very good number 9 today.

I’ve been really concerned with what I’ve seen before today - especially considering we have him on a two year contract, but if he continues with displays like today, there won’t be any complaints from me!

Everybody I have spoken to from clubs where he has played (QPR, Plymouth and Forest) all are full of praise for him.

From a Forest-supporting friend when we signed him: “My cousin used to fancy him. He'd usually come on as a sub and run around like a trooper”.

There you have it.

He had a really good game. What surprised me most was not only how much he roughed up their defenders but how he actually didn’t look overly slow. There were a couple of occasions when he made runs through the channels or on the shoulder of the defender and looked like he still had some legs on him. And of course, a really tidy finish after he didn’t give up when it looked like the defender had cut the pass off.

If this is him starting to find some fitness that’s a big plus. Obika should hang his head in shame watching a smaller man than him batter defenders about and hold the ball up the way Mackie did.

My heart sank when I saw he was starting....watched on ifollow and he looked very good..which says,something..hope he is coming good at last

Fair play to Mackie I’ve never rated the signing of him based more on his injuries over the 3 previous years & he wasn’t a goal scorer but now the aim is to put a run of performances like that consistently specially over the next 2-3 games starting next week

Hopefully this is the turning point for KR as mostly everyone wanted him out after this game if there was another defeat I think this result just covers over the cracks a little as Plymouth were that poor, the next 2 out of 3 games are make or break as we need to beat Bristol Rovers & Shrewsbury

Fair play to Mackie I’ve never rated the signing of him based more on his injuries over the 3 previous years & he wasn’t a goal scorer but now the aim is to put a run of performances like that consistently specially over the next 2-3 games starting next week

Hopefully this is the turning point for KR as mostly everyone wanted him out after this game if there was another defeat I think this result just covers over the cracks a little as Plymouth were that poor, the next 2 out of 3 games are make or break as we need to beat Bristol Rovers & Shrewsbury

Hopefully this is the turning point, but Mackie played like this at Sunderland.

I just think that having pace in our team is key, so it was good to have Browne back and hopefully Whyte will be back next week too.

I’ve been really concerned with what I’ve seen before today - especially considering we have him on a two year contract, but if he continues with displays like today, there won’t be any complaints from me!
I thought, but might be wrong, whilst it is a two year contract it is very much a pay per game type of contract.

Hylton like performance by Mackie and i loved it. Ran his nuts off and was not afraid to get stuck in and let the ref know his feeling, getting in the heads of the Plymouth defenders. Something we have lacked since Maguire.

Smith and Obika could learn a thing or two from that performance as he won't be fit every game. We have a man who is 5'10 who was challenging headers and capable of receiving the ball with back to goal whilst two strikers who are 6ft+ can't do this.

Hylton like performance by Mackie and i loved it. Ran his nuts off and was not afraid to get stuck in and let the ref know his feeling, getting in the heads of the Plymouth defenders. Something we have lacked since Maguire.

Smith and Obika could learn a thing or two from that performance as he won't be fit every game. We have a man who is 5'10 who was challenging headers and capable of receiving the ball with back to goal whilst two strikers who are 6ft+ can't do this.
I like this, strong characters are what we nee to get out of the mess we’re in ?

Yes he seemed buy the foul at the time but seeing it on TV it was a very poor attempt at a tackle - Totally mistimed.
Mackie lured the defender into a stupid challenge and the guy fell for it. His general shithousery with their defence and the ref (& Holmes too) was great to watch. Their defence lost their heads because of it.

Mackie lured the defender into a stupid challenge and the guy fell for it. His general shithousery with their defence and the ref (& Holmes too) was great to watch. Their defence lost their heads because of it.
It wasn't 100% clear at the time, but on the highlights you can see him bend his run in a way that if their player dived in, he was a goner. He was almost egging the player to do just that

Mackie displayed yesterday why he was bought in.

Cleverly backing in to defenders, willing to have a fight with them, early jumps of distraction, and finally the clever run coaxing the Plymouth player in to jumping in.

Mackie showed everything we need from the 1 up top. It was an intelligent display that few league 1 defences would want to come up against.

He also lasted 80mins. He has shown glimpses of yesterday in various matches but yesterday was a whole performance from him. I hope he stays fit as he offers far more than Obika in particular.

As an aside, great to hear Adams comment on how more 'street wise' we were. Have been crying out for that not only this season but prior

Last edited:
I didn't go to Sunderland but I thought Mackie was the obvious choice for the lone striker job just for his performance against Luton. He came on near the end of that game and immediately nailed one of their centre backs, followed by the other. A lone striker has to make the life of a centre back difficult. It's not necessarily about chasing the two centre backs whilst they pass the ball round you, but it's about making sure you contest the ball when it's in the air, being aggressive and brave and backing in so a centre back can't easily win the header to clear it over the head of your midfielders. Obviously the bigger you are the better, and although Mackie isn't that tall he does have the build of someone who goes to the gym and skips leg day to do arms and chest, but the most important thing is a bit of aggression. Hylton was good at it, as was Maguire. It does pain me to see the size of Obika and then how bad he can be at it. If I was as big and strong as him I would take great pleasure in bullying centre backs but I don't understand why he's so timid.

Henry, Browne, Holmes and Whyte are all good players at this level but it's no good if they never see the ball. With Mackie in there, you know he's the exact gobshite player that you love to have in your team. Even if he doesn't hold the ball up, he can put enough pressure on that the centre back doesn't get it cleared properly and it falls for one of the attacking players.

Changing the subject slightly, it's also the reason why I thought Dunkley was such an effective centre back. Regardless of who he was up against he normally always won the first ball and first and foremost got good distance on it. As much as I like Mousinho as a player, I thought he was much more effective in midfield. When he's at centre back he quite often gets out muscled but he showed his worth further forward yesterday where he also took on leadership of the team well.

Back
Top Bottom