Matches Mackem back in town

Sinner

Sunderland Fan
Alreet lad and lasses!

It’s that time again, the annual trek to Oxford.

Nod to @Sarge, and @Essexyellows who’s been giving Sunlun fans advice on buses to the ground that shall not be named. You must be desperate to move to the new ground and I reckon your gates will double when you do. You’ll be the Billy Big Bollox then lol.

I will be meeting @Bodminyellow for brunch before the match. Now there an example of the North-South divide. I reckon I’ll be the only Sunderland fan, possibly ever, to have been invited to brunch before a game. Binner I get, beer & dinner, but brunch!

Bodmin is a bit posh mind you, but I suspect his Missus has asked him to promise to get some food in his stomach, as we do get is some states on these such occasions. He’s also suggested curry after the game, which is a bit less weird, but a lot of food for a match day. He must be attempting to be on best behaviour. I usually just drink Guinness if I’m hungry, but a curry in Oxford will be fun.

The bus to the ground will wipe out drinking time as well, what a chew on.

I’ve noticed some discussion around our fans getting tickets in the home end. There will be a few dotted around but there has not been a huge clamour for tickets for this game, so there will be no problems. Tickets actually went on general sale (to season card holders) instead of being snapped up by those with enough loyalty points as is the norm.

Well, were still here in the third division. I was quietly confident of automatic promotion last season, then it all went horribly (and predictably) wrong. I’m glad I kept my optimism between me and the dog.

This season has been stressful. At times we’ve played the best football since being in this division, then the next game can play the worst I’ve ever witnessed. We keep hitting new lows I didn’t think possible. Getting turned over at home against the bottom team in the division was our worst result in history, taking into account division and opposition. Then there was Bolton away, aaaagh. It was my mate’s 60th birthday, we took 6k fans and lost 6-0. Dark satanic mills indeed.

I kind of liked Lee Johnson but he was flogging our young players to death, and we could all see it. Fans sometimes get it right and Alex Neil immediately observed some young player had played too much, and other players had not played enough. Poor indictment of Lee Johnson, I’m afraid, and he was full of s**t.

Oxford have put in some very good performances, according to Bodmin, and have played ok, not great, during this recent minor blip. I really rate big KR and would have liked him a Sunderland. I mention this to our fans and they recoil in horror, but it’s great when opposition fans hate your manager, and he deflects unwanted attention from team. General consensus among our fans seems to be this will be a good game. We’ve had a few teams play for a draw from the first minute, conning the refs throughout (don’t get me on the refs and linesmen, driving me insane) and wasting time at every opportunity. Neither team will do that on Saturday, not in the first half anyway.

I have an affection for Oxford United, but have realised it is only when they are in a different division.

To all your decent fans – have a good day out on Saturday, but not too good.

To those who call us deluded and claim we only get big crowds because we have no lives and there is nothing to do in the wasteland that is the north east – I hope your bus breaks down.

See ya Sattda

Last edited:
Alreet lad and lasses!

Nod to @Sarge, and @Essexyellows who’s been giving Sunlun fans advice on buses to the ground that shall not be named. You must be desperate to move to the new ground and I reckon your gates will double when you do. You’ll be the Billy Big Bollox then lol.

I will be meeting @Bodminyellow for brunch before the match. Now there an example of the North-South divide. I reckon I’ll be the only Sunderland fan, possibly ever, to have been invited to brunch before a game. Binner I get, beer & dinner, but brunch!

Bodmin is a bit posh mind you, but I suspect his Missus has asked him to promise to get some food in his stomach, as we do get is some states on these such occasions. He’s also suggested curry after the game, which is a bit less weird, but a lot of food for a match day. He must be attempting to be on best behaviour. I usually just drink Guinness if I’m hungry, but a curry in Oxford will be fun.

I’ve noticed some discussion around our fans getting tickets in the home end. There will be a few dotted around but there has not been a huge clamour for tickets for this game, so there will be no problems. Tickets actually went on general sale (to season card holders) instead of being snapped up by those with enough loyalty points as is the norm.

Well, were still here in the third division. I was quietly confident of automatic promotion last season, then it all went horribly (and predictably) wrong. I’m glad I kept my optimism between me and the dog.

This season has been stressful. At times we’ve played the best football since being in this division, then the next game can play the worst I’ve ever witnessed. We keep hitting new lows I didn’t think possible. Getting turned over at home against the bottom team in the division was our worst result in history, taking into account division and opposition. Then there was Bolton away, aaaagh. It was my mate’s 60th birthday, we took 6k fans and lost 6-0. Dark satanic mills indeed.

I kind of liked Lee Johnson but he was flogging our young players to death, and we could all see it. Fans sometimes get it right and Alex Neil immediately observed some young player had played too much, and other players had not played enough. Poor indictment of Lee Johnson, I’m afraid, and he was full of s**t.

Oxford have put in some very good performances, according to Bodmin, and have played ok, not great, during this recent minor blip. I really rate big KR and would have liked him a Sunderland. I mention this to our fans and they recoil in horror, but it’s great when opposition fans hate your manager, and he deflects unwanted attention from team. General consensus among our fans seems to be this will be a good game. We’ve had a few teams play for a draw from the first minute, conning the refs throughout (don’t get me on the refs and linesmen, driving me insane) and wasting time at every opportunity. Neither team will do that on Saturday, not in the first half anyway.

I have an affection for Oxford United, but have realised it is only when they are in a different division.

To those who call us deluded and claim we only get big crowds because we have no lives and there is nothing to do in the wasteland that is the north east – I hope your bus breaks down.

See ya Sattda
I say chap us Posh southern softies shall travel by Limo what's all this Bus Nonsense

Since one is in a good frame of mind, any chance of a lift back to the Play Off places

I say chap us Posh southern softies shall travel by Limo what's all this Bus Nonsense

Since one is in a good frame of mind, any chance of a lift back to the Play Off places
We can be quite accommodating in these matters.

Alreet lad and lasses!

See ya Sattda

Ey up Northern Monkey!
Enjoy the day in Gods Own City and say hello to @Bodminyellow.

See you next season!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Well we would normally lay on some comedy for you to enjoy but we had Morecombe in the week and nobody was laughing.

we'd hoped to lay on Hale and Pace Saturday but have gone for Bring Me Sunshine.

Enjoy The Day

The only bus I travel on is the positive bus and I don’t mean Covid, last chance for both clubs the winner will still be in with a shout ,a draw probably won’t do either any good, need other clubs to start slipping up, I think we’re going to win 3-2 of course.

Well we would normally lay on some comedy for you to enjoy but we had Morecombe in the week and nobody was laughing.

we'd hoped to lay on Hale and Pace Saturday but have gone for Bring Me Sunshine.

Enjoy The Day
Alex Neil (our manager) reckoned you were far the better side against Morecombe and played well.

Alex Neil (our manager) reckoned you were far the better side against Morecombe and played well.
Sinner
we were the better team against Morecambe and we played ok

Usual problems came back to haunt us, not putting the game to bed after creating a hatful of chances or going a goal up and then quickly conceding. You cannot ship two goals a game and expect to score three every week

Alreet lad and lasses!

See ya Sattda
Don’t mention that f*****g bus!! You only have it once a season and this season it is taking even longer.

80 points would mean 3 wins and 2 draws. I'm an optimist and even I can't see that happening! 78 points is my guess which by the reckoning of that article means 7th above Wycombe on GD, and one point off the playoffs.

This season is completely mental, 75 points has been enough in all of the last 10 seasons, and most of the last 20 for playoffs and yet it's looking like two sides on ~78-80 points won't make it!

‘To those who call us deluded and claim we only get big crowds because we have no lives and there is nothing to do in the wasteland that is the north east – I hope your bus breaks down’

We don’t think the whole north-east is like that - just Sunderland!!!

On my spreadsheet i have it

Plymouth 85

Wycombe 83

Sheff Wed 80

Sunderland 79

Oxford 78

‘To those who call us deluded and claim we only get big crowds because we have no lives and there is nothing to do in the wasteland that is the north east – I hope your bus breaks down’

We don’t think the whole north-east is like that - just Sunderland!!!
There's more to Sunderland than pubs and police cells, Bodmin ;) Shhhh, our secret

80 points would mean 3 wins and 2 draws. I'm an optimist and even I can't see that happening!
Having had a chance to look at the FiveThirtyEight data, it doesn't add up anyways - their latest "simulated season" sees us on 8th with 77 points, but the data shows probable wins against Sunderland, Fleetwood and Doncaster, a probable draw against MK and a defeat to Rotherham, which makes 79, neither of which are the 80 points in the first prediction - I can only think the Sunderland Echo trawled it's article from the stats before we played Morecambe.

Back
Top Bottom