Ex Player Luke McNally

He’s got an error in him but the lad has frightening potential, he can dribble it out from the back as well if he wants to, and is quick, tall, strong… I’d build our defence around him, he deserves to be playing now on merit, let alone potential
Was a great run he made from our defence today shame about the last hit, but there is a similarity to Atkinson.

Last edited:
He’s was great today. I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s a more accomplished defender than Thorniley - and perhaps even Moore - but he’s maybe not as reliable due to a bit of inexperience and odd concentration lapses like that cross pitch ball 25 yards out today.

I’d be very surprised though if, just like Dickie and Atkinson before him, he doesn’t in time become undroppable and a fixture in this side. He’s too good to be sat on the bench for too much longer.

He’s was great today. I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s a more accomplished defender than Thorniley - and perhaps even Moore - but he’s maybe not as reliable due to a bit of inexperience and odd concentration lapses like that cross pitch ball 25 yards out today.

I’d be very surprised though if, just like Dickie and Atkinson before him, he doesn’t in time become undroppable and a fixture in this side. He’s too good to be sat on the bench for too much longer.
And then within a season unkeepable:(

Was a great run he made from our defence today shame about the last hit, but there is a similarity to Atkinson.
He's better than Atkinson. He's quicker, better in the air and more aggressive. If he ups his concentration, he'll be worth £3.0m+ in 12-18 months time. Terrific athlete. Be interested to hear if he's come on the radar of some of the Prem clubs. Wouldn't be at all surprised

What’s not been mentioned is that he seemed to settle those around him. Together with Long, they talked each other and the rest through the second half.

If it weren’t for MT, he was out r best player on that pitch. Gotta start every game from now irrespective of Thornely and Blackpool.

Huge potential. Very good in the air, confident bringing the ball out of defence and has real pace.
I would have Moore ahead of him at the moment though

Thorniley is a very decent one-on-one defender when he's got someone running at him. But I thought the Wycombe game really exposed him, he allowed Hanlan to push him around and bully him. And he barely won a header then, just as yesterday, whereas McNally came on at half time and won every single one. I would personally rather have McNally in the starting lineup and take his natural athleticism, and coach him to improve on the other parts like the positioning and tackling. Is that not what the coaches are for, anyway? Sure, Luke will make the odd mistake as he develops, but I've seen him in 3 home games now against some of League One's bigger/better teams (Charlton, Rotherham, Wednesday), and he has impressed me in every single one.

Although maybe don't play him in the EFL Trophy ever again - 2 appearances and 2 red cards 😅

Serious question. Does anyone itk (ie not me!) know if this guy has popped up on the radars of the bigger Prem clubs? I've been a fan from his first game. His performance on Saturday was just sensational. I could honestly see one of the top ten Prem clubs taking a punt on him in the Summer. Or am I just getting a bit carried away by his performance against a poor L1 team!?! Be genuinely interested to hear if he's being talked about. I think he's miles better than Atkinson already, and is potentially a trade up from Rob Dickie

Serious question. Does anyone itk (ie not me!) know if this guy has popped up on the radars of the bigger Prem clubs? I've been a fan from his first game. His performance on Saturday was just sensational. I could honestly see one of the top ten Prem clubs taking a punt on him in the Summer. Or am I just getting a bit carried away by his performance against a poor L1 team!?! Be genuinely interested to hear if he's being talked about. I think he's miles better than Atkinson already, and is potentially a trade up from Rob Dickie
I would be very surprised if a top 10 Premiership club are interested yet
Another year at Oxford ( hopefully in the Championship) and if he develops then higher clubs will be after him.
It's interesting how one game can make such a difference. From somebody suggesting that none of our defenders are good enough for the Championship to this!

I would be very surprised if a top 10 Premiership club are interested yet
Another year at Oxford ( hopefully in the Championship) and if he develops then higher clubs will be after him.
It's interesting how one game can make such a difference. From somebody suggesting that none of our defenders are good enough for the Championship to this!
Ha! Yes but tbf it's not just one game. He looks the real deal. And he's got pace which always makes the biggest clubs sit up. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the really 'big' clubs bought him and then loaned him back for a season. He's basically come from nowhere (I think he was a student just over a year ago, combined with playing for St Pats) but he's an athlete, and the rest can be coached. What I really like about him is that he bullies attackers. Moore doesn't really, Dickie did, Atkinson didn't at all. And he's really quick. Be really interested to see what happens. Like you, I hope we keep him for another couple of seasons, but I'm not holding my breath!

Ha! Yes but tbf it's not just one game. He looks the real deal. And he's got pace which always makes the biggest clubs sit up. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the really 'big' clubs bought him and then loaned him back for a season. He's basically come from nowhere (I think he was a student just over a year ago, combined with playing for St Pats) but he's an athlete, and the rest can be coached. What I really like about him is that he bullies attackers. Moore doesn't really, Dickie did, Atkinson didn't at all. And he's really quick. Be really interested to see what happens. Like you, I hope we keep him for another couple of seasons, but I'm not holding my breath!
Nick Harris made a comment about him and Prem clubs a couple of weeks ago and then checked himself. I wondered if he'd been told something off the record

Back
Top Bottom