Luke Garbutt

I think someone said that he is 25. Stayed at Everton too long then that’s all I can say.
Obviously not going to make it there so should have got out earlier and played regularly.
These kids earn too much money at these big clubs so it’s easy to stay and play in some poxy development league which isn’t real football is it.

Garbutt has had plenty of games at league 2,1 and championship level but not in the last 18 months where he has had injury problems and only played with u23 players. I dont think the issue is his experience, the man clearly needs games to get back into things but have his injuries reduced his ability and confidence from what we all and KR included expected from him?

Garbutt has had plenty of games at league 2,1 and championship level but not in the last 18 months where he has had injury problems and only played with u23 players. I dont think the issue is his experience, the man clearly needs games to get back into things but have his injuries reduced his ability and confidence from what we all and KR included expected from him?

I don’t expect anything from him. Pompey had clearly watched our previous games and singled out our left side. The club need to be strong enough and KR especially needs to look at Garbutts performances and say it’s not working out right now. That’s not to say with time Garbutt won’t get better but right now he’s a liability. We need to bring in a quality, proven left back in on loan.
Yes we have players to come back into the side that will help us out going forward but we’re weak at the back.
Plus we have no actual competition at left back! Crazy for a professional club.

I feel sorry for the guy. IMO going through complete lack of confidence and maybe some mental health issues. Tough times.

I don’t expect anything from him. Pompey had clearly watched our previous games and singled out our left side. The club need to be strong enough and KR especially needs to look at Garbutts performances and say it’s not working out right now. That’s not to say with time Garbutt won’t get better but right now he’s a liability. We need to bring in a quality, proven left back in on loan.
Yes we have players to come back into the side that will help us out going forward but we’re weak at the back.
Plus we have no actual competition at left back! Crazy for a professional club.

Oh what I’d give to still have Ricardinho on the books

To have Joe Skarz here ...

(Incidently, he’s barely played for Bury since joining them and hasn’t made an appearance this season either. With those sort of injury credentials I’m surprised KR hasn’t swooped for him ...)

Don’t mess with Skarz…

To have Joe Skarz here ...

(Incidently, he’s barely played for Bury since joining them and hasn’t made an appearance this season either. With those sort of injury credentials I’m surprised KR hasn’t swooped for him ...)
TBH Skarz was even slower than some of the recent signings. Thats why Mapp let him go. Plus the more regular injuries.

Maybe Garbutt is suffering from homesickness, it's a very different way of life up north. That coupled with not having played 1st team football for a while might be affecting him.
Or maybe no mates within the squad so not getting the team ethic. Though on performances so far this season only a few of them seen to have grasped hold of the team ethic.

Maybe Garbutt is suffering from homesickness, it's a very different way of life up north. That coupled with not having played 1st team football for a while might be affecting him.
Or maybe no mates within the squad so not getting the team ethic. Though on performances so far this season only a few of them seen to have grasped hold of the team ethic.
f**k sake it’s still England.

He's 25 not 18, and 'the North' is about 3 hours away by car (Oxford > Liverpool). I really don't think it's homesickness especially since some of his other loans have been at Cheltenham, Fulham and Colchester - dating back to when he WAS 18. He managed those OK!

How is it a different way of life up North?

Right...

...they have t’get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before they go to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when they get home, their Dad and their mother would kill them, and dance about on their graves singing 'Hallelujah.'

But you try and tell those down south that... and they won't believe ya'.

Last edited:
If KR starts with Garbutt again against Accrington I’ll lose any faith I’ve got left in him. Obviously he can improve but for now we need a win

Right...

...they have t’get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before they go to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when they get home, their Dad and their mother would kill them, and dance about on their graves singing 'Hallelujah.'

But you try and tell those down south that... and they won't believe ya'.

Sulphuric acid, you were lucky...
etc. etc.

Some comments from Garbutt signed for us on loan.

Bleddy hell, that's a signal of intent!
Didn't think we had a hope of getting someone of that calibre.
Adios Ricky, I assume...

Was good enough for the championship 2 seasons ago + Leeds were interested so class signing.

He’s a bloody good player, could easily have gone to championship

Bleddy hell, that's a signal of intent!
Didn't think we had a hope of getting someone of that calibre.
Adios Ricky, I assume..

Robinson himself appears to be a bit stunned that he appears to have turned down better offers to come here.

We have a left back! This first team is slowly but surely coming together.

A great signing, and I'm not worried that it is another loan.

Quality player; one I pinpointed as an (unrealistic) target a few months back.

Fantastic!! Defence is looking rock solid.

I wonder if some want to edit their posts?

The thing is Bazzer, I think people's expectations and comments were reasonable. Garbutt came with an excellent reputation and decent record (which is all you can go on before you've seen them play regularly). I didn't know enough about him to make much of a comment when he signed - but even I am scratching my head about how consistently poor he has been so far. He was better in the Coventry game, but apart from that...

I suspect Robinson is equally mystified!

The thing is Bazzer, I think people's expectations and comments were reasonable. Garbutt came with an excellent reputation and decent record (which is all you can go on before you've seen them play regularly). I didn't know enough about him to make much of a comment when he signed - but even I am scratching my head about how consistently poor he has been so far. He was better in the Coventry game, but apart from that...

I suspect Robinson is equally mystified!
I agree much better against Coventry, but I am mystified when someone is signed that hardly anyone has heard of and suddenly everyone knows all about him and we get quotes such as those I’ve posted.
Personally I do hope he comes good, for his sake as well as ours.