Luke Garbutt

See I don’t buy that. If Everton had wanted more money, higher wages or him to get championship football they would have done that now, the player said he had more lucrative offers. He choose to come here to get games, if he had wanted higher level he would have taken one of the other offers. He’s not close to the first team, so very u likely to be recalled to play like baldock. He is he first choice of the manager, so unlikely to want to move like Payne. The only risk for me is if he does really well and someone higher offers to buy him. But then that means we’ve been doing really well and had a much better lb than we would otherwise have been able to afford for 6months

We're very aware of what can happen in January, it's not going to stop us scouting for any potential replacements if that is the case. And if he helps is into playoff spots, we'll have talented left backs from premier league reserve sides begging to come to us, after seeing what we did for Garbutt.

See I don’t buy that. If Everton had wanted more money, higher wages or him to get championship football they would have done that now, the player said he had more lucrative offers. He choose to come here to get games, if he had wanted higher level he would have taken one of the other offers. He’s not close to the first team, so very u likely to be recalled to play like baldock. He is he first choice of the manager, so unlikely to want to move like Payne. The only risk for me is if he does really well and someone higher offers to buy him. But then that means we’ve been doing really well and had a much better lb than we would otherwise have been able to afford for 6months

We're very aware of what can happen in January, it's not going to stop us scouting for any potential replacements if that is the case. And if he helps is into playoff spots, we'll have talented left backs from premier league reserve sides begging to come to us, after seeing what we did for Garbutt.

We also again don’t know that a no recall clause hasn’t been included, or even a first option and agreed price to buy.

All season long loans have break clauses in January, so essentially half season but with option to continue for rest of the season if all 3 sides are happy.

That’s the market, we have to operate in the real world one not the fantasy land one where we pay big transfer fees and even bigger wages and dictate terms to players and prem clubs.

Baldock was replaced by Kenny and that went went fine, it’s not a problem if you have a competent manager so I am not to worried.

I agree that in the real world we wouldn't be able to afford Carruthers or Garbutt. And I have every confidence that they will do a good job for us. Certainly better to loan in players like this than those Man City boys!

I do hope though that some of the other key signings are actual purchases rather than loans. A side built on loans is one built on very shaky foundations for anything but the short (possibly 6 month) term.

I agree that in the real world we wouldn't be able to afford Carruthers or Garbutt. And I have every confidence that they will do a good job for us. Certainly better to loan in players like this than those Man City boys!

I do hope though that some of the other key signings are actual purchases rather than loans. A side built on loans is one built on very shaky foundations for anything but the short (possibly 6 month) term.

I was thinking this earlier, say 4 loans are key straight into the starting 11 type players. We won’t be paying massive wages on them (possibly) so it could leave a decent chunk of the budget for a real marquee striker, or give us the ability to go and get more of branagan/dickie type signings. I think it’s fine as a foundation, certainly if we win promotion we have a great chance of then being able to compete for them. If not at least we get to see players like garbutt and caruthers instead of xemi and tiendalli

Great signing on paper, let’s hope he pans out how we think, but what about building a team? Loan signings are great if they supplement what we have, what we don’t want to do is be reliant on loan players, they either leave early (Payne/Baldock) or at the end of the loan we start again.

Unless we can realistically sign them at the end of the loan it makes me feel uncomfortable. If we go on and sign 6/7 permanant signings great a couple of loans works, but so far a lad from non league and 2 loan signings (all be it good loan signings) - let’s see what happens the next week or so..,

I was thinking this earlier, say 4 loans are key straight into the starting 11 type players. We won’t be paying massive wages on them (possibly) so it could leave a decent chunk of the budget for a real marquee striker, or give us the ability to go and get more of branagan/dickie type signings. I think it’s fine as a foundation, certainly if we win promotion we have a great chance of then being able to compete for them. If not at least we get to see players like garbutt and caruthers instead of xemi and tiendalli

What like Kitson? ?

Last edited:
Great signing on paper, let’s hope he pans out how we think, but what about building a team? Loan signings are great if they supplement what we have, what we don’t want to do is be reliant on loan players, they either leave early (Payne/Baldock) or at the end of the loan we start again.

Unless we can realistically sign them at the end of the loan it makes me feel uncomfortable. If we go on and sign 6/7 permanant signings great a couple of loans works, but so far a lad from non league and 2 loan signings (all be it good loan signings) - let’s see what happens the next week or so..,

Two loans and two permanent signings so far and Robinson has already said another one or two loans have been agreed. I am happy with loans as long as they are better than any permanent signings we can make and are first team quality.

We've clearly become the team of choice for early 20-something scousers.

Join the Everton youth system, get trained up then move to Oxford. Play well and get yourself a regular gig in the Premiership/Championship.

It's not the worst model for us!

(although maybe, unlike Ledson/Lunny/Kenny, Garbutt isn't actually a scouser? Wikipedia says he's from Harrogate......)

He is a 25 year old Yorkshireman who Everton took from leeds youth system, so not really the same as the others.

I would think that the club connections are more important that home address!

I would be a bit nervous if four or five of our better players were loans in, unless we had also signed good 'prospects' in those positions as well as 'understudies'. Otherwise, as well as being hostages to the whims of other clubs, we wouldn't actually be building for the future, just developing other club's players. And gambling that such loans might get us promotion and hoping the loanees might then sign is possibly optimistic - more likely their parent club will have them back and sell them to a club with more cash (Seemingly).

Don't get me wrong, I am very much not against having loanees of the quality of Carruthers and Garbutt (and J Graham?) - but without proper player development it is a very temporary solution. Of course, that is probably EXACTLY why the emphasis has been put on the U23's this season: to address exactly that in future seasons.

Curtis Nelsons little brother is on love island, and binned off his girl for a more glamorous one a few days back, she then shacked up with another bloke a couple of days later (She is the Jefferson Louis of the show).

I was only watching the show as my missus watched it
, but Nelsons little bro being in it has made it more interesting.
A likely story - as if anyone believes you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yet another player in a key area that we have no apparent future control over.

was hoping this seasons squad was going to be players that have the same vision as the club and want to be here for the long haul not using us as a shop window///stepping stone.

wish the whole loan system was removed from the game.

I don’t want to sound like some ‘itk’ muppet but I was chatting to someone Sunday who’s very confident that Graham is indeed the winger we’re getting in on loan. He also said we’ve got a young premier striker coming in on loan but didn’t know his name (maybe Mavididi..?) So that would take us to 4 loans, not a problem judging by the standard and, as others have already said, we also bring in a decent number of our own players

No recalled and sent Blackburn as they more than likely offered Huddersfield a much better loan deal than we were offering.

Rumblings abound from those in the know that him and Pep did not get on at all. Especially after being left on the bench for the Wigan debacle. Water under the bridge now at any rate...

was hoping this seasons squad was going to be players that have the same vision as the club and want to be here for the long haul not using us as a shop window///stepping stone.

All players pretty much now use clubs as a stepping stone/shop window whether permanent or on loan. Think COD as an example.

Likewise, clubs and fans are happy to jettison players when they don't live up to expectations.

That's the level we are at, a league one club averaging 7-8 thousand fans a week and pay over 500k a year to rent a ground to play in. We don't have too many other options.