Luke Garbutt

Very interesting.
So Garbutt played 10 games more but created/ scored 9 more goals 12 v 3.
I think the for effectiveness the stats say it all ( although I agree that Graham may look a better player)
Bot only that but I suspect that Garbutt was far more effective from a defence perspective)
And some of Garbutt's appearances were at LB

The last few posts pretty much sum up the problem with going just by stats.
I suspect crosses to Obika may yield lesser results than crosses to Sinclair (not saying either Garbutt's or Graham's were to either of those players - just pointing out a variable). Another being are they cut backs or high crosses, also one winger being quicker than his supporting centre forward. Manager's instruction too.

There are so many variables that a stat on assists alone doesn't mean too much.

I suspect crosses to Obika may yield lesser results than crosses to Sinclair (not saying either Garbutt's or Graham's were to either of those players - just pointing out a variable). Another being are they cut backs or high crosses, also one winger being quicker than his supporting centre forward. Manager's instruction too.

I would say that the best players do yield the best goals/assists stats though season on season ...

Not sure what you mean there.

Regardless of method, stats on assists show that one player created and scored more goals than the other, and was therefore the more effective attacking option.

Not sure what you mean there.

Regardless of method, stats on assists show that one player created and scored more goals than the other, and was therefore the more effective attacking option.

It doesn't show that. If player a) has laid 8 chances on a plate for a striker but he has only scored one does that make him less creative than player b) whose scuffed shots have been turned in from range 3 times out of 3. To base any kind of opnion on a players output only on assist numbers is not a good idea.

It doesn't show that. If player a) has laid 8 chances on a plate for a striker but he has only scored one does that make him less creative than player b) whose scuffed shots have been turned in from range 3 times out of 3. To base any kind of opnion on a players output only on assist numbers is not a good idea.
Indeed, a valid point. It's a good thing we are all avid fans who have watched every game and have seen what chances have been created and missed/dispatched.

And that’s why we have expected goals and expected assists.

Strip out the outcome and purely judges the quality of attempts (shots/created)

Of course that can happen.
But the difference between Garbutt and Grahams stats are stark. Garbutt created and Scored far more than Graham. Its bot even close.
Regardless those who watched a lot of games would, I would guess, suggest that Graham had quite a dee good chances that he missed and his delivery was poor.
Garbutts delivery was pretty good.
So I would say that in these instances the stats confirm what I think that I saw.

I was initially very sceptical about Garbutt moving up the field (given that I thought he underperformed at full back). But he exceeded expectations there- unlike Graham who I kept thinking was about to hit top form and be the best player on the pitch but somehow never did.

I suppose it depends who else is available to play left midfield. If we sign Fosu to play on the left (with Whyte on the right), do we need Garbutt - who is probably relatively expensive and not ours - as a backup/alternative left sided defender/midfielder? Or would whatever money we have be better spent elsewhere and get one of the U23s - existing or new - as backup there?

Last edited:
Tatabanya is absolutely right that you can't judge a player's worth by assist stats alone, because football's too complex a game to be summed up by a few figures.

So you combine those stats with the eye test.

And I would argue that anyone watching the final third of last season, should have seen that Garbutt was a far more effective player than Graham.
Not as quick, and didn't beat his man that often - but the quality of his delivery was vastly better, as was his reading of the game and positioning.

Would love to see Garbutt back in yellow......although given the situation, you would expect Everton take the best offer, in terms of % of wages, for the next season loan deal. He's a write-off for them, so they're going to want to lose the least amount they can...….

But Graham preferred playing on the left from memory?
He didn't when Appleton was here. I remember him providing Roofe with some service and a goal against Swindon resulted. Accrington away service from the right and assist from the right for Sercombe. Plus other crosses not converted.

Last edited:
Might just be me, did anyone else hear 'Garbutt' called out in the background at 1:15 in the latest iFollow video interviewing Mark Sykes?

Am fine to be told my hearing is going, and it was something completely different [emoji1]

Might just be me, did anyone else hear 'Garbutt' called out in the background at 1:15 in the latest iFollow video interviewing Mark Sykes?

Am fine to be told my hearing is going, and it was something completely different [emoji1]
You sure they weren’t saying Gobbo? ?

I think he says calmness but could be wrong as well