General Losing Interest.

I’m not sure whether they feel sorry for me or the fact that it’s just nice that someone doesn’t just support Liverpool, Everton or ManU!
Agreed. Some people might initially be surprised that I support Oxford, but most admire the fact I support a 'real club', although one annoying git did ask who my Premier League team was!

It is worth thinking of the bigger picture.
The way things are going the season might finish early again, and clubs might disappear.
If we did finish half way or above that might be a good scenario.
Clubs like Southend and Bolton might finish off in liquidation. Talk about a reduced premier league might be the first stage towards a reduced EFL.
I am frustrated with our results so far but more frustrated that I can’t go and see us play. My plan was to retire as a life long supporter to live in Oxford, going every week to see my team.
Saturdays have become stale and boring with continual talk about the virus. Let’s hope that the spike in the virus and the depressing way of life we endure at the moment will next season be one of some sense of a return to near normality

This is an odd thread and I'm not sure whether the words the original poster used are 100% what he meant? I don't want to speak for the guy, I don't know him, but we're not all Shakespeare and can't all express our feeling perfectly in print.

I think we all feel pissed off with various aspects of the current situation we find ourselves in, whether that be Oxford United and football related, or the way life is at the moment. But is that the same as "losing interest" in OUFC? I don't think it is. Maybe he's un-enamoured with this COVID world, disappointed with our results, and feeling a bit detached from it all due to being unable to attend matches? Probably a bit of each I suspect, as that's how I feel.

But does that mean I'm losing interest? Absolutely not!!! Am I happy about everything in the football world, the OUFC world, and the world in general? No, I'm not, but that doesn't mean I'm losing interest. Losing interest implies that one doesn't care anymore, which is certainly not the case for me. In fact I find the defeats hurt more because I haven't "participated in the event" by being at the game. I hate the iFollow experience, but I'll keep doing it until I can go back to games. It's my lifeline, like this place to an extent.

There's another element for me, that @Pete Burrett may understand. Being an exile I'm proud of Oxford United Football Club and take every opportunity to let people know who I support. Most people up here that know me, know me as "that Oxford United bloke" and I wouldn't want it any other way. I haven't been to a game since February, due to being on holiday immediately before the lock down, and I miss it like hell, and I think it's the longest period I've ever had without going to a game. But does that period of absence, and the break in my routines mean I've lost interest, or care less? That will never happen, Oxford United is my umbilical cord that links me to home, and that will continue as long as I live.

Thanks for reading this, if you've got this far, it's gone on a bit more than I intended, but I've found it slightly cathartic. These are hard times for many, stick with it people, and stick with your club, we'll beat this bastard situation together!

You may be right re the opening post/poster, I very much hope so.

I'm sure we all agree that football is not as engaging at the moment, how could it be?

Personally though I was f*****g livid after the Gillingham result and performance and struggled at that point to understand somebody who seemed to be saying that they didn't care anymore!

Here's a radical thought. Why not let individuals support / follow OUFC whenever, however and with what degree of fervour best suits them personally?

These debates often descend into 'who's the best fan' drivel. I remember when we drew 1-1 at WBA in a cup competition a few seasons ago, a young poster moaned that he and his girlfriend travelled to most OUFC matches. On that night 2,000 Yellows had turned up and he felt the need to castigate the 'glory hunters'. That's always struck me as an example of when people should keep their thoughts to themselves.

Nicely put, Pete. There are levels of fandom to those who can only support from afar and attend a match every decade to the Womble’s of this world who would travel miles for hours for a freezing Tuesday night game against Carlisle. Everyone is entitled to support their team in any which way they want. We all have other life commitments to attend to.

I sort of see the viewpoint of the OP. However, for ‘interest’, I read ‘enthusiasm’. ‘Interest’ is something sustained whereas ‘enthusiasm’ is more a measure that can go up and down. If someone said ‘I’m not interested in going’ you’d think the spark had gone out. ‘I’m not enthused about going’ suggests that they’re willing to even if they’re somewhat pessimistic. It’s understandable at present that enthusiasm for football in general may be at a low ebb. We can’t attend in person (nor experience the process building up to a match or winding down after one) and the digital experience isn’t the same. I’d challenge any fan who somehow thinks a static cam on a dodgy iFollow stream is somehow equal to the real thing. It’s not.

I remember feeling rather ho-hum about a couple of seasons in my time following the Yellows – 2007-08 (second season in the Conference, slow start under Jim Smith, Patto taking over and steering us towards a mid-table finish) and 2012-13 (a Wilder season where we just never got going) – and finding myself finding other things to do on some Saturday afternoons than investing time and money in watching Oxford simply complete matches to ensure the league reached its denouement for those who had something to play for. I’m happy to admit that those mid-table finishes dampened my enthusiasm at the time. However, more exciting seasons soon followed with promotion/playoff campaigns and battles against relegation. The enthusiasm measure can soon be topped up again and I hope for the OP’s sake that we soon do something to make it happen.

Good post ^^

Yeah I read it as enthusiasm rather than actual interest... I don't think anyone of us will “not care” about a result or not look forward to a game....

As i said in my earlier post it is all just a little flat at the moment, not just because we can’t go to games but also I think we are all growing weary of this way of life and the never ending media coverage.

Yes, as I said on another thread, if it comes to next August and we are in the stadium watching an OUFC team playing in L1 with the club in a relatively stable condition as far as ownership and finances are concerned, I think that would be a very good outcome.
And I do agree, watching the games via iFollow is a very, very pale imitation of the real thing and although I wouldn't say I was losing interest, it is quite difficult to get quite so worked up about the whole thing - this season is going to be one for us all to just get through.

Spot on Having a football club after the pandemic is the goal.

Aslong as we beat that lot down the road both times then I’m really not fussed with a midtable season & players like Atkinson, Moore, Clare & Cooper etc to get a years experience for a automatic promotion push next season when we are all allowed back most likely.
That’s of course none of those 4 players don’t get sold because they’ve gained a years experience and improved

Nicely put, Pete. There are levels of fandom to those who can only support from afar and attend a match every decade to the Womble’s of this world who would travel miles for hours for a freezing Tuesday night game against Carlisle. Everyone is entitled to support their team in any which way they want. We all have other life commitments to attend to.

I sort of see the viewpoint of the OP. However, for ‘interest’, I read ‘enthusiasm’. ‘Interest’ is something sustained whereas ‘enthusiasm’ is more a measure that can go up and down. If someone said ‘I’m not interested in going’ you’d think the spark had gone out. ‘I’m not enthused about going’ suggests that they’re willing to even if they’re somewhat pessimistic. It’s understandable at present that enthusiasm for football in general may be at a low ebb. We can’t attend in person (nor experience the process building up to a match or winding down after one) and the digital experience isn’t the same. I’d challenge any fan who somehow thinks a static cam on a dodgy iFollow stream is somehow equal to the real thing. It’s not.

I remember feeling rather ho-hum about a couple of seasons in my time following the Yellows – 2007-08 (second season in the Conference, slow start under Jim Smith, Patto taking over and steering us towards a mid-table finish) and 2012-13 (a Wilder season where we just never got going) – and finding myself finding other things to do on some Saturday afternoons than investing time and money in watching Oxford simply complete matches to ensure the league reached its denouement for those who had something to play for. I’m happy to admit that those mid-table finishes dampened my enthusiasm at the time. However, more exciting seasons soon followed with promotion/playoff campaigns and battles against relegation. The enthusiasm measure can soon be topped up again and I hope for the OP’s sake that we soon do something to make it happen.
You are probably correct and 'enthusiasm' is more of an accurate description. At the end of the day you cannot dilute yellow blood.

Yeah, and it's exactly the same for more than 100 other sets of supporters.

Most of whom haven't just had their best season in 20+ years.

If you want sympathy or empathy you won't get it from me - OUFC needs support more now than ever.

I think that’s a bit harsh old boy. Everybody here gets to have their own experience and in times of Covid we all struggle a little with processing our realities. The guy is just being open about how he feels on the connectivity level with something he loves

• React
Reactions: m
I can certainly identify with that. After we lost our opener to Lincoln - who along with Grimsby have local support - I was surprised how many people we know around here commiserated with me. OUFC fans are obviously few and far between around here, but they knew I was one and I felt proud of that.

That’s nice.

Before I explain who I support I have to explain what the sport is.

That’s nice.

People here can get the sport fairly quickly, but the problem starts when they ask “are they in the Premier league” and it takes 10 minutes of equations on the chalkboard to explain why League One isn’t the top one.

(Mind you when I was a little kid I thought you got relegated from Div 4 to Scottish Premier, because of the order the scores were announced in the radio)

People here can get the sport fairly quickly, but the problem starts when they ask “are they in the Premier league” and it takes 10 minutes of equations on the chalkboard to explain why League One isn’t the top one.

(Mind you when I was a little kid I thought you got relegated from Div 4 to Scottish Premier, because of the order the scores were announced in the radio)
that would be more like a punishment

That’s nice.

Yeah because they are used to running around a diamond ie Rounders, and also throwing an egg shaped ball, chasing it with crash helmets on. American Football.

Back
Top Bottom