General Losing Interest.

For you MC Yellow!

I’m not bored at all of watching OUFC, it’s my passion, and win lose or draw. I watch again and again! I’m not bothered how long someone has supported the club. We are all fans, and pay for our season tickets. Travel up and down the country to watch the lads.

We lost in the playoff final. Our biggest chance to get to the 2nd tier in years, and yes we BLEW it. Why Didn’t Henry shoot, and what was that Moore and Eastwood moment about. Yes it hurt for a couple of days! But it doesn’t make me fed up with watching OUFC on ifollow, or listening on the radio. We’ve started slowly yes.. but we are notoriously slow starters. I’m not going to let things out there in the world stop me from enjoying myself.

Less of the bed wetting from people, and more supporting that’s what I say.

Surely the point is that you are not travelling up and down the country?

Here's a radical thought. Why not let individuals support / follow OUFC whenever, however and with what degree of fervour best suits them personally?

These debates often descend into 'who's the best fan' drivel. I remember when we drew 1-1 at WBA in a cup competition a few seasons ago, a young poster moaned that he and his girlfriend travelled to most OUFC matches. On that night 2,000 Yellows had turned up and he felt the need to castigate the 'glory hunters'. That's always struck me as an example of when people should keep their thoughts to themselves.

Last edited:
Not really the point is it? It’s a comparison between being able to watch us in person (which would be in league one) or on iFollow (which is also in league one).

I certainly enjoyed my life more when I could move about freely and a million people hadn’t died of a virus though, not certain I would trade quality of life for being in the league one relegation zone.
It was the point though, as I replied to the post talking about watching the Conference games being fun.

Obviously, I'd prefer watching us in person in L1 than ifollow in L1, its why I've had a season ticket for years.

This is an odd thread and I'm not sure whether the words the original poster used are 100% what he meant? I don't want to speak for the guy, I don't know him, but we're not all Shakespeare and can't all express our feeling perfectly in print.

I think we all feel pissed off with various aspects of the current situation we find ourselves in, whether that be Oxford United and football related, or the way life is at the moment. But is that the same as "losing interest" in OUFC? I don't think it is. Maybe he's un-enamoured with this COVID world, disappointed with our results, and feeling a bit detached from it all due to being unable to attend matches? Probably a bit of each I suspect, as that's how I feel.

But does that mean I'm losing interest? Absolutely not!!! Am I happy about everything in the football world, the OUFC world, and the world in general? No, I'm not, but that doesn't mean I'm losing interest. Losing interest implies that one doesn't care anymore, which is certainly not the case for me. In fact I find the defeats hurt more because I haven't "participated in the event" by being at the game. I hate the iFollow experience, but I'll keep doing it until I can go back to games. It's my lifeline, like this place to an extent.

There's another element for me, that @Pete Burrett may understand. Being an exile I'm proud of Oxford United Football Club and take every opportunity to let people know who I support. Most people up here that know me, know me as "that Oxford United bloke" and I wouldn't want it any other way. I haven't been to a game since February, due to being on holiday immediately before the lock down, and I miss it like hell, and I think it's the longest period I've ever had without going to a game. But does that period of absence, and the break in my routines mean I've lost interest, or care less? That will never happen, Oxford United is my umbilical cord that links me to home, and that will continue as long as I live.

Thanks for reading this, if you've got this far, it's gone on a bit more than I intended, but I've found it slightly cathartic. These are hard times for many, stick with it people, and stick with your club, we'll beat this bastard situation together!

There's another element for me, that @Pete Burrett may understand. Being an exile I'm proud of Oxford United Football Club and take every opportunity to let people know who I support. Most people up here that know me, know me as "that Oxford United bloke" and I wouldn't want it any other way.
I can certainly identify with that. After we lost our opener to Lincoln - who along with Grimsby have local support - I was surprised how many people we know around here commiserated with me. OUFC fans are obviously few and far between around here, but they knew I was one and I felt proud of that.

For you MC Yellow!

I’m not bored at all of watching OUFC, it’s my passion, and win lose or draw. I watch again and again! I’m not bothered how long someone has supported the club. We are all fans, and pay for our season tickets. Travel up and down the country to watch the lads.

We lost in the playoff final. Our biggest chance to get to the 2nd tier in years, and yes we BLEW it. Why Didn’t Henry shoot, and what was that Moore and Eastwood moment about. Yes it hurt for a couple of days! But it doesn’t make me fed up with watching OUFC on ifollow, or listening on the radio. We’ve started slowly yes.. but we are notoriously slow starters. I’m not going to let things out there in the world stop me from enjoying myself.

Less of the bed wetting from people, and more supporting that’s what I say.

I was simply responding to your rather curt comment to Deanroger. I felt it was unnecessary and off the mark just because he admitted to feeling a little flat with football at the moment.

It doesn’t stop him from being a fan and it didn’t call for your “dear oh dear” comment.... and as for bed wetting, have a word with yourself.

I've been watching Oxford since the age of 5 (47 years) and I'm sorry to say that the play off defeat, recent poor form and not being able to go to games has combined to seriously dent my interest in it all.
Yes, Close to the Edge myself. Relayer was good though.

I can certainly identify with that. After we lost our opener to Lincoln - who along with Grimsby have local support - I was surprised how many people we know around here commiserated with me. OUFC fans are obviously few and far between around here, but they knew I was one and I felt proud of that.
In a weird way I find being an exile fan makes my interest in the club, what goes on in and around the club heightened than when I used to live in Oxfordshire.
Everyone knows me as that Oxford fan. Every Monday in work people are talking to me about our result, on a Friday or Saturday morning people are asking me about how I think we will get on, a lot of people have started putting Oxford in their bets because I’m a fan.
I’m not sure whether they feel sorry for me or the fact that it’s just nice that someone doesn’t just support Liverpool, Everton or ManU!

In a weird way I find being an exile fan makes my interest in the club, what goes on in and around the club heightened than when I used to live in Oxfordshire.
Everyone knows me as that Oxford fan. Every Monday in work people are talking to me about our result, on a Friday or Saturday morning people are asking me about how I think we will get on, a lot of people have started putting Oxford in their bets because I’m a fan.
I’m not sure whether they feel sorry for me or the fact that it’s just nice that someone doesn’t just support Liverpool, Everton or ManU!
I have the same up here in Manchester. Quite enjoy the added banter with Blackpool/Leeds fans etc

I've missed whole seasons before with less than iFollow so I can put up with it. But I do understand why others are having issues though and it certainly isn't anywhere near a live game and all that goes with it.

Same up here in Cheshire

I've been watching Oxford since the age of 5 (47 years) and I'm sorry to say that the play off defeat, recent poor form and not being able to go to games has combined to seriously dent my interest in it all.
I agree, It’s really not been easy, for the reasons you’ve mentioned.
Yesterday I strangely missed the two hour drive round the M25 to the game.
I missed standing on a pile of scaffolding and watching our team lose.
I missed listening to the local radio station‘s view after the game.
I also missed the post match debrief in the car journey home.
But for all the things I bizarrely miss about the match day experience, I know they will return at some point.
In the meantime, I’ll settle for the ‘new normal’ of the erratic iFollow experience, the Radio Oxford commentary and loving the ‘how do I get iFollow to work?’ chat on here. One bonus is that straight after the game I can get on with something to forget about the result and look forward to Tuesday‘s game.
This new normal is all a bit challenging to us at the moment but the minute we get to walk through the turnstile again will bring it back to the ‘old normal’ for me.

Why is when someone's replies on a forum with a differing opinion they are described as "catty" or a "keyboard warrior"?
I`ve seen us play teams as diverse as "The Big Six" and endured the likes of St Albans et al.
It is part of supporting a small club.

When all the current problems are in the past having my team to support is the Number One goal.
So I bought a ST knowing full well I wouldn`t get to any home games because its my Club.
I don`t like ifollow, sometimes I`ll watch other times I`ll find something better to do.

I haven`t, and never will, "lose interest" in my club as long as it exists.

Anyone who thinks shopping on a Saturday afternoon is a better option is welcome to toddle off.........its their choice.
Because you and the usual suspects express your differences of opinion in such a ham-fisted way, it's so unnecessarily tribal. And the rest of your post demonstrates that.

Being a fan is not a competition, and let's be honest, no one really cares who the most passionate fan is. Some like to attend every game home and away singing from the terraces. Others only go to home games and like to sit quietly in the south stand. And there are plenty who don't live locally for whatever reason so can't attend every game, so they follow the club through social media and listen to the games through iFollow. You don't need to put people down in order to show how much of a fan you are, and when you do all it does is drive more people further and further away.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I'm losing interest, certainly not the same at the moment, I've only watched the League Cup game vs Wimbledon so far(due to work commitments) however I've been wearing the Ox with pride when I've be able too.

Saw my first game on Boxing Day 1949 and this club have been a massive part of my life since, i lived away for many years plus 14yrs in the Navy, the first thing i wanted to know was the Oxford result. Since moving back in 2013 after losing my wife , along with my Daughter we have been season ticket holders since. at 81 i have only missed 3 games home and away in all competitions since then. love the club, would follow them if they played in the Leys carpark. If you feel the same way, how can you ever lose interest regardless of the results and current situation.

Because you and the usual suspects express your differences of opinion in such a ham-fisted way, it's so unnecessarily tribal. And the rest of your post demonstrates that.

Being a fan is not a competition, and let's be honest, no one really cares who the most passionate fan is. Some like to attend every game home and away singing from the terraces. Others only go to home games and like to sit quietly in the south stand. And there are plenty who don't live locally for whatever reason so can't attend every game, so they follow the club through social media and listen to the games through iFollow. You don't need to put people down in order to show how much of a fan you are, and when you do all it does is drive more people further and further away.

So your response is to belittle others? :)
Its not tribal, the OP is a supporter same as me.
They find they are missing something, well guess what.....we all are in different ways. It`s the social side for me, the football is secondary.
Some people will want to give them a cuddle, some people will say different ,that`s life.
That is the purpose of a forum. You can read an opinion, you can comment or not but taking someone`s personal comment and gluing it to another and shouting "ham-fisted, usual suspects" and similar adds nothing.

Aslong as we beat that lot down the road both times then I’m really not fussed with a midtable season & players like Atkinson, Moore, Clare & Cooper etc to get a years experience for a automatic promotion push next season when we are all allowed back most likely.

Back
Top Bottom