Championship Lord CJ "Chips" Wilder

Why would it almost certainly bring to an end his job at Sheff U?
He has huge support there as he was a supporter and will have taken them up from League 1.
Burnley went up with Dyche and kept eith him when they were relegated.
If he took them up if he did a Cardiff (or Huddersfield season 1) his stock wouldn't fall.
You make a fair point with Burnley, I would certainly like to see more promoted managers backed in that way, unfortunately few are.
I agree he wouldn't lose the loyalty of the fans either, but if they are struggling in the PL at Christmas, the Chairman could be tempted by a tried and tested survival manger, particularly with the money attached to staying up for a second season.

Wilder himself admitted that he completely re-evaluated his management style and approach after leaving Oxford.

Not rating him during his time here is different to saying he's not a good manager. I couldn't stand him during the last two or three seasons during his time here, but I can still acknowledge that his record at almost every club he's been at is mightily impressive. If he gets Sheffield up he definitely deserves a chance at the top level. In fact few deserve a chance more than he does.

Nonetheless, this talk of welcoming him back is not for me. He's not referred to as Chippy for no reason, and the way he departed served to permanently destroy any rememance of affinity between him and OUFC.

When people say things like "I hope fans welcome him back properly one day" that, to me, is sucking up to him. His ego would explode if that were to happen.

He is about to be promoted to the Premier League, I'm not sure Oxford fans welcoming him back would impact his ego in any way!

Last edited:
Wilder’s a ‘marmite’ character, like Thatcher or Charlie Methven.

Seems we need to consider two different aspects of him. Purely as a football manager he has undeniably achieved success, but as a person he’s odious and divisive.

What you think of him depends which aspect is of more importance to you, so no right or wrong answer.

To say he’s a poor football manager is surely the ‘wrong’ answer.

Chips has had a brilliant career. He should be congratulated for that

He shouldn’t be congratulated for the way he flounced out of our club though.

When people say things like "I hope fans welcome him back properly one day" that, to me, is sucking up to him. His ego would explode if that were to happen.

I'm not talking about his merits as a manager, I'm talking about his personality. He's a not a very nice bloke, never has been, and was underhand and disrespectful to Oxford United, its fans and its history while here (and yes, I have met him, on a number of occasions). Since he's been gone he's not had a good word to say about us.

f**k him, no welcome back from me.
Were you nice to him when you met him? Or did you tell him to fuckin do one ?

Just asking .....

i never met him, he seemed intransigent at times

He's managing in the "best league in the world" next year

Guess he's proved his worth

Like him or Loathe him he has a superb track record.

Will be interesting to see how he does in the premiership.

Well I think wilder does well when supported by fans and board and the players together.

His first calendar year with is he got 100 points. Got us promoted. And then got hounded out a season or two later.

Well done CW. Promotions from the conference, L2, L1 and now the championship. An outstanding achievement! Has it been bettered by anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom