Championship Lord CJ "Chips" Wilder

Navegante

3 games from getting his boyhood club promoted to the PL. If he were to achieve promotion, would any manager have achieved promotion from tiers 2, 3, 4 & 5?

Given that SUFC don't benefit from PL parachute payments, one would assume the budget is mid-table at best. His roster includes a number of former OUFC favourites: 'Gorgeous' George Baldock, Jake Wright, John Lundstrom & err... Marvin Johnson.

Credit to CW! (And Alan Knill ;) )

On the commentary they stated the budget was the eighth lowest in the division.

He’s a brilliant manager. Can we finally stop the nonsense that he’s not.

He was bloody important for this club and helped us get up from the canvas. We should be thankful as this club nearly died without his promotion team.

Whatever happened after doesn’t matter to me - it got stale but he kept us stable in the football league after four years in the wilderness. That’s fine by me.

I hope there will be a reassessment and the fans will welcome him back properly one day.

He was bloody important for this club and helped us get up from the canvas. We should be thankful as this club nearly died without his promotion team.

Whatever happened after doesn’t matter to me - it got stale but he kept us stable in the football league after four years in the wilderness. That’s fine by me.

I hope there will be a reassessment and the fans will welcome him back properly one day.
He got us up from the conference. Shaun Harvey and all. Hold on a minute ....
A manager who did a great job for us but stayed too long.

He’s done incredibly well and he got us back into the league but I can’t help thinking of his habit of playing Dean Smalley on the wing

He’s done incredibly well and he got us back into the league but I can’t help thinking of his habit of playing Dean Smalley on the wing

Ha.

I had no idea that Charlton’s halftime sub Josh Parker made 15 appearances for us back in the Wilder days. Didn’t score apparently and I could not for the life of me remember him.

Apparently Wilder brought him in as Smalley and Pittman were injured (surprise surprise!) and it only left Beano and Craddock as strikers over the Christmas period. Having more that two strikers? La de da!

He is no Alan Knill but you can’t knock his record, to go from managing Alfreton town to the premier league would be amazing if he manages it, just doesn’t happen and he will of done by getting promoted up the levels.

Absolutely. CW was far from a poor manager for us. If anything, he used us as a springboard to develop his managerial skills further as he did at Halifax and he’s not looked back since. I do keep an eye on Sheffield United’s results and should he get them to the PL he deserves all the praise that comes his way. That would be a massive achievement.

I don’t think we’ll ever know what really went wrong behind the scenes. My feeling is that CW had for a while been fed up of the austere budgets that IL was offering and knew that he would have to do more with even less if he’d stayed for the 2014-15 season. He’d been applying for jobs left, right and centre and jumped when the dodgy looking Northampton job came up. He kept them up and flukily pipped the best team in League 2 in 2015-16 to the title ?. The rest has been brilliant for him.

The same issue that saw his departure still haunts us now. You can change owners, managers, players and staff but the constant has been a certain ‘custodian’ of the club who demands his £500k and more. It’ll hold Oxford United back until we rid ourself of him.

He's an A*****e.

An arrogant, chippy A*****e who disrespected us in a number of ways over a period of time. Whether he's a good manager or not (and I think without Allan Knill he's not so good) I will never cheer the disrespectful t**t, and hope Sheff Utd stay down.

He doesn't like us and I find it nauseating that people are sucking up to him.

He's an A*****e.

An arrogant, chippy A*****e who disrespected us in a number of ways over a period of time. Whether he's a good manager or not (and I think without Allan Knill he's not so good) I will never cheer the disrespectful t**t, and hope Sheff Utd stay down.

He doesn't like us and I find it nauseating that people are sucking up to him.

Are people sucking up to him or rather acknowledging his contribution in getting us back in the FL?

I point to the state of Wrexham, Stockport, York etc

Are people sucking up to him or rather acknowledging his contribution in getting us back in the FL?

Exactly. I couldn’t care less if he is a nice bloke or not and I’ve personally never met or spoken to the guy.

However, our club was in serious risk of going down the toilet and was an embarrassment. He instilled a professionalism and a hunger that got us back in the football league and something resembling a professional club again.

I wouldn’t expect all of our fans to cheer or applaud the guy. I would however hope that they recognise how important he was for kickstarting our return to a level of pride we should expect for a club of our relative stature.

Last edited:

When people say things like "I hope fans welcome him back properly one day" that, to me, is sucking up to him. His ego would explode if that were to happen.

I'm not talking about his merits as a manager, I'm talking about his personality. He's a not a very nice bloke, never has been, and was underhand and disrespectful to Oxford United, its fans and its history while here (and yes, I have met him, on a number of occasions). Since he's been gone he's not had a good word to say about us.

f**k him, no welcome back from me.

I personally admire all he’s achieved and wonder if we had been higher up the pyramid with him in charge.
If he gets Sheffield U to the top flight I’ll be very interested To see it if he can get them to the top half. With 30000 h9me crowds they could do a Wolves. Then maybe a bigger club will come knocking

18 years as a manager, and never been fired - in the present day, that speaks a hell of a lot about his abilities as a manager (and also Lenaghan's level of patience as an owner!).

Course, perversely, getting promoted to the Premier League may just put that run in jeopardy as it seems fairly commonplace for teams to bail on the bosses that got them there in a desperate attempt to hold on to the PL riches.

Is he an A*****e? I don't really care. He played an important role in our club's history......
.....and he probably doesn't given a damn what we think of him either, when his boyhood club's fans presumably now revere him as a demi-God.

18 years as a manager, and never been fired - in the present day, that speaks a hell of a lot about his abilities as a manager (and also Lenaghan's level of patience as an owner!).

Course, perversely, getting promoted to the Premier League may just put that run in jeopardy as it seems fairly commonplace for teams to bail on the bosses that got them there in a desperate attempt to hold on to the PL riches.

Is he an A*****e? I don't really care. He played an important role in our club's history......
.....and he probably doesn't given a damn what we think of him either, when his boyhood club's fans presumably now revere him as a demi-God.
they most certainly do ... he is one of their own

The only reason he wasn’t sacked, was it would have meant no compensation

Back
Top Bottom