lopes

I have no idea, but it seems strange to invest in a player to develop whilst not paying the day to day bills. The youth structure is as strong as it has been in years, so some aspects are being run exceptionally well. Which makes the tax issues even more troubling.

Well, we know the tax bills weren't paid. I'm not sure the assertions of an anonymous poster stand up; or have I missed something substantive?

Hmm. Our friends in the north are cutting costs left right and centre in an attempt to be sustainable. They haven’t faced any winding up orders though.

Mentioned as a striker in the article on the web site. I’ve only ever see him play CM. Mooro, can you shed any light?

If Leeds genuinely were after it then it's even better that we have kept him.
Having said that we have a very successful youth team and youngsters are getting opportunities.
Hopefully the likes of Lopes, Spasov etc improve, gain strength like COD did and start knocking on the first team door in the next year or two.

Crooks and Lofthouse as well.. the youths are certainly looking very strong and if you get the chance, go along and watch them. They are a breath of fresh air.

Don't forget Michael Elechi, who already looks like a stronger version of Shandon Baptiste, and Nico Jones, the new (but taller) Jake Wright. I reckon they might well be in the first team before James, Lopez & Spasov.
Is Nico Jones a CB? Does he have much pace?

this is all sounding very positive I really rate Baptiste he was the only player man city feared hence hacking him down a few times he looks a good prospect hope his shoulder is not an issue

Don't forget Michael Elechi, who already looks like a stronger version of Shandon Baptiste, and Nico Jones, the new (but taller) Jake Wright. I reckon they might well be in the first team before James, Lopez & Spasov.

There are ducks who are taller than Jake Wright.

I’d say Jones is around 6-4 (and growing!) so yes, much taller than Jake! Also Elechi is on the massive size as well!

I think you're hinting that the people who don't think Tiger's better than sliced bed are wrong. Quite subtle for you, nice.

Dan Harris's comments in the Oxford Mail's article on Lopes certainly seem more about polishing a predatory cat's tarnished reputation than praising Lopes:

“It shows again the club is seriously committed to helping young men develop.

“I wouldn’t call it a graduation at all, he’s miles away from that just yet. It’s another step forward for him as a young man and the club.

“It shows from Tiger (chairman Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth)'s point of view just how serious he is as an owner coming in wanting to invest in the future of the club.

“We’ve got a first-team manager prepared to be on board with that as well, which is fantastic.”

Dan Harris's comments in the Oxford Mail's article on Lopes certainly seem more about polishing a predatory cat's tarnished reputation than praising Lopes:

“It shows again the club is seriously committed to helping young men develop.

“I wouldn’t call it a graduation at all, he’s miles away from that just yet. It’s another step forward for him as a young man and the club.

“It shows from Tiger (chairman Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth)'s point of view just how serious he is as an owner coming in wanting to invest in the future of the club.

“We’ve got a first-team manager prepared to be on board with that as well, which is fantastic.”

It's not inaccurate though. With the under 23's set up and youth development the club is really moving forward and we can be excited about some of these kids becoming stars in the not too distant future.

Credit for this goes to the players involved, and the excellent Dan Harris and his team. But also to Robinson for his commitment to bringing the kids into the first team, and Tiger for putting the money in to make this all happen.

This doesn't mitigate against issues with paying the tax man or from failures to communicate appropriately, but Tiger deserves credit in supporting the grassroots of our club.

It's not inaccurate though. With the under 23's set up and youth development the club is really moving forward and we can be excited about some of these kids becoming stars in the not too distant future.

Credit for this goes to the players involved, and the excellent Dan Harris and his team. But also to Robinson for his commitment to bringing the kids into the first team, and Tiger for putting the money in to make this all happen.

This doesn't mitigate against issues with paying the tax man or from failures to communicate appropriately, but Tiger deserves credit in supporting the grassroots of our club.

And to KR for attending a shed load of youth games.

Yep. Pretty much spot on. Both wingbacks her through a lot of work for Oxford. Both had good solid games today.

No doubt, clearly a lot of hard work has been put in, and it looks like we’re set to reap many dividends indeed.

It was more the comment about this showing how serious Tiger is in investing in the club that, given some queries raised on the matter thanks to the HMRC and an element of mystery from the club, seemed a bit scripted.

Obviously whatever money 'Tiger' (or his associates) have put into the youth set up is very welcome and is bearing fruit. Presumably though, this process was started before he arrived? Unless we have got all these players etc since the end of February? I don't know the answer - just asking the question. Is it actually a money issue, or more to do with Robinson's admirable attitude towards young players, the hard work of the coaches, maybe a bit of luck with the players we have found?

I'd also presume (and am happy to be contradicted) that spending some money on the youth side of the club is cheaper by an order of magnitude than the larger 'projects' - building a stable and sustainable season-to-season first team squad, acquiring (or building ;)) a stadium, paying tax bills (sorry, couldn't help myself) etc?

Obviously whatever money 'Tiger' (or his associates) have put into the youth set up is very welcome and is bearing fruit. Presumably though, this process was started before he arrived? Unless we have got all these players etc since the end of February? I don't know the answer - just asking the question. Is it actually a money issue, or more to do with Robinson's admirable attitude towards young players, the hard work of the coaches, maybe a bit of luck with the players we have found?

I'd also presume (and am happy to be contradicted) that spending some money on the youth side of the club is cheaper by an order of magnitude than the larger 'projects' - building a stable and sustainable season-to-season first team squad, acquiring (or building ;)) a stadium, paying tax bills (sorry, couldn't help myself) etc?

The youth programme was in place but the under 23's team was set up from scratch and enables some of our younger players an opportunity to take a smaller step up rather than the leap it could be to the first team. Undoutably we have great coaches, and Robinson is focused on supporting these players throughout the club - but Tiger may have brought KR in for exactly this reason.

As for the funding, this doesn't come cheap even if it is cheaper than a new stadium for example. If, @Junior_1 is correct, and there is no reason to doubt him, Leeds were very close to signing Lopes. To match, or beat, their offer is significant as it means we have the chance to see these players develop into the stars of the future. All too often we have allowed young talent to be poached away, or have failed to back them sufficiently to find them abandoned at Oxford City or Brackley after a year or two.

So whilst the tax issue was a problem and does raise concerns, we are potentially in a position where we could become a sustainable club by developing our own players for the future. That has to be to the credit of everyone involved, including Tiger.

Back
Top Bottom