Looking Back at the Old Oxford days

For myself, I went to a few schools in Oxford. Summertown Middle School, then Oxford Boys, then Gosford Hill in Kidlington. Sometimes there was a bit of rivalry when playing other schools at football or rugby.

Who remembers firstly Sergio Tacchini and Fila in mid 80's, then the Head Sports Bag, Troop trainers, Best Company, etc.

Surprised no one has mentioned The Coven.

It's was certainly a thing at the Six Bells, supposedly to perk it up, although god knows why 'cos the keg Morrell bitter was fizzy crap already.
The Black Boy sold Morrells Varsity bitter, quite strong. They did a limited brew at Christmas known as College Ale. As the supply was limited Leigh Jackson only served it in half pints. Stronger still at around 6%. It was a beautiful drink to round off the evening.

The Black Boy sold Morrells Varsity bitter, quite strong. They did a limited brew at Christmas known as College Ale. As the supply was limited Leigh Jackson only served it in half pints. Stronger still at around 6%. It was a beautiful drink to round off the evening.
Round it off my a**e, you were on it all night

Grew up opposite the quarry gate, went to at Andrews, Bayswater and Cheney, first cheeky pint was in the plasterers, worked in the kitchen at oriel college after school which payed for my fs1e.
we used to get s**t from the punks outside the oranges and lemons when we cycled past, one night a week we used to get a dozen eggs in a paper bag to take home which meant I had to put them inside my Harrington and cycle up Headington hill, quite a few eggs were used on the punks🤣

Seven Stars, Lake Street first at underage. Pint bottles Brown ale. (Lake Street Youth club over the road and as a Biker around 20 of us convened there). As a car owner at 17, circle of friends changed and The Jack Russell, Marston became the local. (Bar Billiards and Aunt Sally Leagues). Trying to explain Aunt Sally to locals here in Essex causes some bemusement and hilarity unsurprisingly.

For myself, I went to a few schools in Oxford. Summertown Middle School, then Oxford Boys, then Gosford Hill in Kidlington. Sometimes there was a bit of rivalry when playing other schools at football or rugby.

Who remembers firstly Sergio Tacchini and Fila in mid 80's, then the Head Sports Bag, Troop trainers, Best Company, etc.

we used to get stuffed playing Lord Williams school Thame (rugby), The corn dolly on a Friday and Saturday night or Fightday night as we called it😉

My first school was speedwell then moved on to lawn Upton and then peers left peers in 2006 😁 first pint I was probably 15 in the George in sandford my dad used to be a chef there so used to have lock ins

Grew up opposite the quarry gate, went to at Andrews, Bayswater and Cheney, first cheeky pint was in the plasterers, worked in the kitchen at oriel college after school which payed for my fs1e.
we used to get s**t from the punks outside the oranges and lemons when we cycled past, one night a week we used to get a dozen eggs in a paper bag to take home which meant I had to put them inside my Harrington and cycle up Headington hill, quite a few eggs were used on the punks🤣

Peanut and all that crowd, what a time to grow up!

Seven Stars, Lake Street first at underage. Pint bottles Brown ale. (Lake Street Youth club over the road and as a Biker around 20 of us convened there). As a car owner at 17, circle of friends changed and The Jack Russell, Marston became the local. (Bar Billiards and Aunt Sally Leagues). Trying to explain Aunt Sally to locals here in Essex causes some bemusement and hilarity unsurprisingly.

Explaining Aunt Sally is amusing.

I shouldn`t forget the Osney Arms either when I was into fishing.
Could leave your gear on the bank, get a pint take it back and nothing went missing in those days.
The factory wall always fished well.

I also went to Oxford Boys for a couple of years. Crown and Thistle was my Dad's pub when Ali Black was running it and I use to play for them in the Sunday League vs Star Royal, Cold Arbour, etc.

And oh yes Fifth Avenue...

Ali Black ran it when I was a kid, my grandad, uncles and dad went in and I would go in with them. My dad and uncles played for star royal. Drove past it the other day and it’s being left to rot by the looks of it, sad sight.

Deserves a thread of its own; Tacchini, Ellesse, Puma G.Villas and Diadora Borg Elite….Mrs ES keeps telling me to grow up and stop browsing online at 80’s Casual Classics.
Remember a shop along Cowley Road that sold all that gear, cracking shop .

Ali Black ran it when I was a kid, my grandad, uncles and dad went in and I would go in with them. My dad and uncles played for star royal. Drove past it the other day and it’s being left to rot by the looks of it, sad sight.
People actually live in the crown and thistle they are not English but I think the previous owners of the pub sold most of the car park and houses were built and then sold the pub and that’s how it’s been for about 7/8 years now shame really

People actually live in the crown and thistle they are not English but I think the previous owners of the pub sold most of the car park and houses were built and then sold the pub and that’s how it’s been for about 7/8 years now shame really

Yeah it’s been going on for years now, think they made a half hearted attempt to rent it out as a pub a few years back but without serious investment no one would actually take it on, must be a right state now. I know part of it is listed but I should imagine the owners are just trying to get it to the stage where the council let them knock it down.

Back
Top Bottom