National News Long Bailey sacked from shadow cabinet

Peterdev

Another case of racism. Looks like Keir a Starmer is trying to clean up the Labour Party. I’m sure this will help his cause come the next election.
He will probably have a fight on his hands with Corbyn and Long Bailey on the back benches.
It will take the heat off Robert Jenrick.
Well done Starmer for being so decisive

A huge blow to momentum and the far left of the party, Long-Bailey was their golden girl.

A bit more work for Sir Keir still to do, but the purge of the anti-semites in Labour can only be a good thing.

Good.

Aside from the massive error of judgement displayed here, what exactly has she been doing as Shadow Education Minister in the last couple of months?

KS was always going to offer his running mates a Shadow Cabinet role for the short term but surprising that her incompetence and links to anti-semitism became apparent so quickly and allows him to move her back to the backbenches.

Good.

Aside from the massive error of judgement displayed here, what exactly has she been doing as Shadow Education Minister in the last couple of months?

KS was always going to offer his running mates a Shadow Cabinet role for the short term but surprising that her incompetence and links to anti-semitism became apparent so quickly and allows him to move her back to the backbenches.

Spamming an obscure internet message board?;)

What is it with Corbynites and anti-Semitism?

Regardless, I can well imagine this was an easy sacking for Starmer and one with good PR too. It's a win win for him and the Labour party. Do the right thing and weaken your enemy at the same time.

Good.

She had a pretty high profile role in the Marcus Rashford successful pressurising over school meals through the summer period and has been effective in supporting schools caution in re-opening. However, Starmer recognises there is no scope in getting into a debate around ‘anti-semitism’ and has made the correct decision.

Yet John MCDonnell says that criticism of Israeli secret service practices is not anti Semitic. Whilst he and that viewpoint may have been part of the problem for the party in the past, can someone help me understand how referencing a states practices, which may or not be factual, is racist? Is it simply because she referenced Israel in the example or is it more nuanced than that?

Yet John MCDonnell says that criticism of Israeli secret service practices is not anti Semitic. Whilst he and that viewpoint may have been part of the problem for the party in the past, can someone help me understand how referencing a states practices, which may or not be factual, is racist? Is it simply because she referenced Israel in the example or is it more nuanced than that?

I think it is a bit more nuanced in that it is a tenuous attempt by some to link Israel against BLM so they can co-opt the BLM movement/publicity in someway against Israel. I'm not sure it is particularly anti-semitic but I can see some interpreting it that way if they so desire.

It was dumb by RLB considering KS's comments about anti semitism and Labour's previous problems with anti-semitism. Rightly or wrongly, anything that whiffs of anti-semitism (whether it actually is or isn't) was likely to get shortshrift, especially a high profile Minister. I'm not sure privately Keir Starmer will be particularly bothered that RLB did this anyway as it gives him a chance to manoeuvre out a Corbynite even if the premise is a bit weak.

I think it is a bit more nuanced in that it is a tenuous attempt by some to link Israel against BLM so they can co-opt the BLM movement/publicity in someway against Israel. I'm not sure it is particularly anti-semitic but I can see some interpreting it that way if they so desire.

It was dumb by RLB considering KS's comments about anti semitism and Labour's previous problems with anti-semitism. Rightly or wrongly, anything that whiffs of anti-semitism (whether it actually is or isn't) was likely to get shortshrift, especially a high profile Minister. I'm not sure privately Keir Starmer will be particularly bothered that RLB did this anyway as it gives him a chance to manoeuvre out a Corbynite even if the premise is a bit weak.
That was my understanding, all it needed was a whiff and she handed the opportunity to him on a plate.

Not bright to retweet that allegation, and she handed him the ammunition he wanted.

But I too find it difficult to accept that criticism of the Israeli state is automatically anti-Semitic. There are plenty of African regimes I could criticise and that wouldn't make me anti Africans as a whole or racist against all black people, all Zimbabweans or whatever. I am happy to put my tuppenceworth in on our own government, that doesn't make me anti-English or anti-Christian (since we are nominally at least a Christian country). And surely it is true that not everyone who lives in Israel is Jewish anyway (although I do of course understand that it is a Jewish state)? And some Jewish people also criticise Israel's role in various things - but surely they aren't being anti-semitic?

Can someone help me out?

Not bright to retweet that allegation, and she handed him the ammunition he wanted.

But I too find it difficult to accept that criticism of the Israeli state is automatically anti-Semitic. There are plenty of African regimes I could criticise and that wouldn't make me anti Africans as a whole or racist against all black people, all Zimbabweans or whatever. I am happy to put my tuppenceworth in on our own government, that doesn't make me anti-English or anti-Christian (since we are nominally at least a Christian country). And surely it is true that not everyone who lives in Israel is Jewish anyway (although I do of course understand that it is a Jewish state)? And some Jewish people also criticise Israel's role in various things - but surely they aren't being anti-semitic?

Can someone help me out?

Hmmmm..... Maybe you can only criticise what people perceive as “your own kind”, which is pretty damned racist in itself.

Other than that it’s treading on eggshells.

Thank Christ Boris isn’t ethnic, geez, can you imagine.

Was it racist? No.
Was it anti-semetic? No.
Was it an open goal to get rid of the Momentum/Left`s golden girl? Yes.

Great shot Kier........... one less to worry about whilst going for the middle ground like Blair did.

First step to making Labour electable.

@YellowTaxi ........... come on........ where are the tweets??:unsure:

Bailey low hanging fruit. She’s dim.

But honestly Kier , does agreeing with a lame brained luvvie view on social media really give grounds for the boot?

Whatever happened to free expression?

Anyway cue fresh Labour civil war.

Replace Michael Foot with Jeremy Corbyn.
Replace Militant with Momentum.
Replace Neil Kinnock/Blair with Keir Starmer.

History repeating itself?

Albeit intellectually Corbyn isn’t fit to lace Michael Foot’s shoe laces.

It is possible to criticise Israel and not be anti-Semitic. It is also possible to criticise Israel whilst being anti-Semitic. In this case (as @Marked Ox points out) it is an attempt to position the state of Israel (and Jews by association) as being in opposition to BLM and their methods being ultimately responsible for the death of George Floyd, rather than the US Police.

I quite like John McDonnell but I don't agree with his positioning of this as being either one thing or the other. This, like most racism, is quite subtle. Starmer has this one spot on.

It was a token gesture to give her a position on the oppo front bench. She would have been gone in the next reshuffle. But she gave KS a reason to do it earlier than planned.
At last its starting to look like Labour have woken up and realised that with people like RLB they are not electable.

Back
Top Bottom